TomTom Rider 400 not charging — TomTom Community

TomTom Rider 400 not charging

NickelNickel Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited September 2019 in RIDER
Hi
I have TT400 rider for my Motorcycle 2015 but it does not charge !! strange enough i ca charge with USB connected to my computer but
when i mount on docking station on the handel bar it does not charge ! what is the problem ? what can i do ? Please advise

Comments

• tugmantugman Posts: 337 [Revered Navigator]
    It appear that you have a connection failure in the dock as mine works ok as soon as I turn the ignition on it fired up
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 747
    Superuser
    Loose connection, a blown fuse, or a problem with the dock...
  • RichardecRichardec Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Have you got a multi meter and checked that the two connections are live? If not that the connection is good where the cables join up where you remove the dock from your bike?
    I connected mine to some bullet connectors and to some accessory lead connections so only live when the ignition is on.
    Another question - did it use to charge ok through the bike dock?
  • NickelNickel Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks Richardec, it charges only via USB cable when i charge with my computer. As soon as i install the TT on the bike dock it goes off/on and die out and starts again . could it be a problem with the dock ? or the two contact pins ? wires seems ok and connects to the battery as it should be.
    Superuser
    You need a volt meter to check it. No diagnosis is possible without some measurements...
    Can you clarify what you mean in the last post? The behavior of the device on the dock?

(Direct connection to the battery discharges the battery).
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 316 [Exalted Navigator]
    could be a contact issue if the device and dock have worked before. i ran into that last week. the turn off if power disconnected was turning it off all the time, 1 morning, i cleaned the pins, and devise contacts, and put a tic of dielectric contact grease on it, and it has worked perfect since.

you need to let us know if the dock has ever worked, if it gives any message about power disconnected turning device off countdown,
  • McbridMcbrid Posts: 4 [Novice Seeker]
    I rather think there is a problem with Rider400 docking units that Tom Tom are not admitting to. I base this on my own experience and that of various posts on here of folk with similar problems. A close friend of mine has also been through 2 of the docks already

I am on my 4th now and they will function for a while but then expire. I believe that the issue lies in the circuitry inside which is aimed at converting up to 24 volt s into the 5 volt necessary to charge the unit via the two pins on the dock.
    I have nothing fancy in the power connection it just routes to a 12 volt battery via a fuse.
    As I use the Tom Tom fairly infrequently it seems to be an annual occurrence that it fails when I am on my tour round Europe and it has not disappointed me by doing so once again!
    I am not sure if Tom Tom will be interested in addressing my problem once again as it is now about 1 year since the last incident but I am going to dig out the correspondence.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Mcbrid,

I'm sorry to hear of your problems with the bike dock!

We're certainly interested in helping you get it sorted! You should best contact Customer Service about this. They can help you get this sorted quickly.

We monitor all returns to see if there are any reoccurring patterns requiring special attention.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Ride2itRide2it Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Why isn't TT CS open on weekends when a working person can contact them?
  • Ride2itRide2it Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have 0 (zero) volts on the pins of my brand new tomtom rider 400? What is with that? Also, open your customer service on weekends.
  • MisachaMisacha Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Nickel wrote: »
    Thanks Richardec, it charges only via USB cable when i charge with my computer. As soon as i install the TT on the bike dock it goes off/on and die out and starts again . could it be a problem with the dock ? or the two contact pins ? wires seems ok and connects to the battery as it should be.

Did you ever get a satisfying answer to your on/off problem? I have that exact same issue. It's really frikkin' frustrating (and dangerous when riding).

Bought the TomTom Rider 400 three years ago, and charging through the cradle has never worked properly. TomTom sent me a new cradle, but that didn't solve anything. I see a lot of threads regarding this issue. Has there ever been an official statement on this from TomTom?
    Superuser
    edited April 2019
    Four things can be wrong:
    1. The connection to the cradle. Is the polarity correct? (Wrong polarity may harm the step down converter circuit.)
    2. Voltage. Do you feed it with 12V? (Preferably through a switched powered line if you don’t want your battery depleted). Also, is the charging system in good condition? Over voltage may also harm electronics.
    3. CAN bus. If the bike uses CAN bus (like BMWs) you’ve to know exactly where to connect it. Not all lines accept non CAN bus peripherals.
    4. The cradle is DOA, defective...
  • MainsailMainsail Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I have a Rider 400 (about 3 years old) and although it charges from a laptop USB and can eventually reach 100% charge (visible when holding down the on/off button for 10 or so seconds) it quickly reaches battery empty under useIs there a service outlet in Johannesbuirg that can assist in diagnosis and repair?
    Update: I have 5v coming from the USB Port of my Triumph so when connecting a USB Cable directly from the USB port to the undocked TomTom GPS then all ok, as soon as I dock it the trouble starts and there is no longer any charging, even when the USB cable is left plugged into the TomTom directly (not using the docking station plug. It seems as though when the TT is docked it only accepts power from the docking cable plug and not directly into the TT itself. Workaround I found: Blank off the pin connection points on the docking station with insulation tape then use a direct connection to the TT from your USB or battery, this way the TT does not expect power from the docking station and happily charges and switches on/off with ignition in my case, as my USB port is connected to the ignition. I have no idea if this makes sense other than it works for me - so far!
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,059
    Superusers
    edited May 2019
    Hi
    @Mainsail

My Rider 550 is connected directly to the 12 Volt Battery Via
    A short fly lead to a Car Power Socket under the seat

1u0usaflaxot.jpg
    And a in-line 12 volt Car Power plug fused 1Amp and the Tomtom supplied lead

lyrfn9zir0s9.jpg

I don't know if there is any reverse polarity connection protection built into the Mount ....
    My set-up works/charges fine... The pins on the Mount the pins show...
    1n9rm90c51op.jpg
    ATB YFM
    Thank You @YsmFazMan - Oh well, based on what you describe I can only assume that my TT Mounting doc has an internal fault, so as it's now been a good several days and my workaround is still working perfectly, I'm happy to leave as is and use the docking mount as an unpowered dock only with the USB simply plugged directly into the TT itself.
    Superusers
    edited May 2019
    Hi
    @Mainsail

Don't forget its a DRY WEATHER Fix
    The first drops of rain = dead Rider 400 the bung is there to keep the rain out :o

Have you tried connecting the Cable & Mount direct to a 12 volt supply and checked the pins in the Mount for a 5Volt reading

ATB YFM
    Good Point! I'll take care when it rains. Living in South Africa helps though, rain is less of an issue.
  • Hibbo11Hibbo11 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    The pins on my tt cradle show 11 volts but the tt doesn't charge
  • PanunoPanuno Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    It's the pins in the dock. The springs weaken and take up a 'set' over time, which means they aren't strong enough to maintain contact - and particularly when your ride is bumpy. Then it drops in and out of restart all the time.
    On my 3rd dock now for just this reason, and an exercise I did earlier measuring pin height showed almost a 50% decrease in height from a new dock to a 12-18 month old dock. Search "Rider Dock Problems" and you'll see you're not alone.
  • MuugMuug Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I've got the same problem with the dock/cradle of my brand new 550. The USB-connector that I installed on the motorcycle battery gives me 5V. When I connect the cradle/dock with the usb-connector, I measure 0V between the connection points on the cradle/dock. Next I did a continuity check. I measured the resistance between the left connection point and the left pin in the male plug at the end of the short cable that comes out of the cradle: I had a beep, so there was no resistance, the cupper cable is fine. But when measuring the right connection point, I had infinite resistance. So there is something wrong with the right connection point. As I still have warranty, I'm going to have it replaced. A pity that TomTom doesn't make this more robust.
    Superusers
    edited September 2019
    Hi
    @Muug

The Rider 4xx/5xx Mount requires a 12 volt supply
    The Mount drops the Voltage to the required 5Volts for the 4xx/5xx

Quote....
    Important: The red POS (+) contact needs to be connected to the motorcycle's wiring loom at a point between the ignition and the +12V battery supply. The black NEG (-) wire needs to be connected to the motorcycle's wiring loom at a point between the ignition and the -(GND) battery supply. Attach to a 12V point that can be switched off by the ignition such as the light circuit.
    End Quote....

See.... http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/Rider_Wi-Fi/html/en-gb/index.htm#Mountingonamotorcycle.htm

ATB YFM
  • MuugMuug Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    @YamFazMan ha, ok. I'll test it at home with a 12v power source, to see if I can measure 5V along those connection points.
    But all in all this is a frustrating answer. Because I've just finished installing a dedicated Motorcycle USB-connector, with a power switch and everything. So this USB-connector reduces the 12V to 5V, which makes perfectly sense, because it'll be used to charge a smartphone, a Sena, a power pack, and whatever you can connect to. But it can't charge a Rider through the dock apparently... (it can through its usb connection though!)
    Thanks for your reply !
    Paul
    Superusers
    edited September 2019
    Hi
    @Muug

vyse79vpma32.jpg
    There's a Micro USB port on the back of the Rider 4xx/5xx under a rubber bung, If your thinking of using using this port it would leave the device open to the elements, water ingress and a DEAD device

ATB YFM