Treadmill accuracy

Courtneywicksteed
Courtneywicksteed Registered Users Posts: 1
New Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I just ran a 5km on the treadmill at gym- my watch said i completed it in 21:59. But I'm not sure of the accuracy of this as I don't think that in this fast on the road. The speed on the treadmill was between 8.5 - 9. Please help me out as I would like to know the accuracy of the TomTom? Thanks

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,932
    Superuser
    Treadmill accuracy is a bit hit or miss depending on the user and their form. Since it is using your arms, not your legs, it is an indirect measure. It assumes a certain arm swing pattern equates to a certain running pace and it can be off depending on your arm swing and how accurate the actual treadmill is. There is no way to know on a gym treadmill which is right as they treadmill itself may be way off. a 5k at 9mph would take about 20 minutes so that seems okay. I generally just use whatever the treadmill says and figure it is close enough. When you exit it prompts you to adjust it, just enter the distance from the treadmill.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.