Rider 410 - Customized waypoints tags — TomTom Community

Rider 410 - Customized waypoints tags

TheMapperTheMapper Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
edited December 2018 in RIDER
Hi everybody,

until few months ago I was a Garmin user, and I was used to rename all the waypoints I placed along the route: for instance , instead of the automatically assigned tag "via Forze Armate 405, Milano", I preferred to read (and hear as instruction while driving) "Ristorante Alla Grande".
Now, using the Rider, I still rename waypoints on Tyre, but when I move the route to the device, all the waypoints are automatically renamed back to the unuseful "default" names. This is really disappointing.
I searched the forum and the web, but I did not found any useful suggestion/hint/trick/cheat. Is it really impossible to keep waypoints customization on the device?

Thank you very much in advance!

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,733
    Superusers
    TheMapper wrote:
    [Snip]I searched the forum and the web, but I did not found any useful suggestion/hint/trick/cheat. Is it really impossible to keep waypoints customization on the device
    Hi
    Correct you can't change the names that the device allocates to the waypoints

ATB YFM
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi TheMapper,

Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately, you indeed can't currently rename waypoints. I'll log this as an improvement request for the product team.

However, My Places can be renamed from the quick menu you get by tapping them in the map view. What you could do is to save your waypoints first as My Places to name them.

You can do this also easily with MyDrive and automatically sync them to your device. For more information and troubleshooting tips for MyDrive, please see this FAQ.

Please, post back here if you have more questions so that we can help you further :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • TheMapperTheMapper Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    Hi Mikko, thank you very much for reply.

Last Saturday I rode my bike along this route: https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/social/route/322406?mode=share

As you can see I renamed all the waypoints; I also saved them as a .ov2 file. I imported successfully both .itn and .ov2 file in the Rider, then I also added each waypoint to "My Favourite" list.
    Unfortunately nothing changed while driving: waypoint tags were reset to "default", therefore there was no "useful" vocal instruction approaching them. Neither customized waypoints were just displayed on the map along the route: I'm sorry to be so critical but, if I add a waypoint to "My Favourite" list, I would expect to see it on the displayed section of the map when I'm riding by.
    I finally tryed to build a new route from scratch using MyDrive, adding waypoints selected from "My Favourite" list, but also in this case waypoints tags were reset to default.

Browsing this forum I've found many topics about waypoint management... I hope that the product team will soon deliver an upgrade.

Cheers, Stefano
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Stefano,

Thanks for coming back!

I also just realised that naming My Places doesn't really do what you're looking for. I'll log this as an improvement request for the product team. But I know they've been working on improvements for route planning and managing so we should be seeing some improvements soon :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • PeterB1963PeterB1963 Posts: 21 [Apprentice Seeker]
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi Stefano,

Thanks for coming back!

I also just realised that naming My Places doesn't really do what you're looking for. I'll log this as an improvement request for the product team. But I know they've been working on improvements for route planning and managing so we should be seeing some improvements soon :D

Cheers, Mikko

In earlier versions of the Rider, you could mark route-points as a destination or you could let the Rider warn you when you approach a POI.
    Very useful when you plan stops in your route.
    These options are not available in the Rider 410, so I have to divide the route in parts, if I don't want to miss the stops...
  • robmwrobmw Posts: 12 [Apprentice Seeker]
    TheMapper,

Same problem here, going to Portugal soon (with car) I've six route parts and about 100 waypoints which I want to visit along those routes!

Find it quite silly that the TTR400/410 can't keep the customised names were one puts a lot of work in to arrange this! In fact it is complete senseless, because finding the customised waypoint is hardly to do, because You can't recognize them anymore, because they became simple route- or waymarks!

The suggestion made here to put them in Favorites isn't helpful for it isn't simply doable to put 100 waypoints (or more) in! Firstly because of the (senseless) work and secondly, one can't use the function of Favorites anymore, because there are simply to much waypoint in the map!

So TomTom please help us with this. It will not be in time for my trip to Portugal I'm afraid, so in the mean time, if someone knows a more simplified method to let me Keep my Cutomized Waypoint Names, I would be greatful :-)

Cheers,

Rob
    Hi MikkoK,

five months have elapsed, are there any news about waypoint renaming issue?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Stefano
  • BillMitBillMit Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Another 7 months.... Any news?
    Come on BillMit, sure they are working flat out on this issue, we don't need to apply further pressure... :wink::joy:
  • BillMitBillMit Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I understand their problem... there's only 24 hours in a day. Rome wasn't built in a day etc, etc

I'm hoping it'll be fixed for my 2019 trip (but not holding my breath).
  • ztech6ztech6 Posts: 55 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    After a year from Mikkok's request to the product team there is still no function. I guess the 550 doesn't have the option either as I believe it uses the same software.

In fact has the product team implemented ANY improvement requests ??

I really think TT are not listening.
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 753
    Superuser
    Good things come to those who wait... A lifetime or two with TT terms! :D
    I just realized that this issue is marked as "solved"... :thinking:

TomTom, if this is a joke, it is not funny.
    Superuser
    "SOLVED" is unfortunately selected. IMHO, "ANSWERED" is more appropriate...
    Ste7ios, sorry but I can't agree.

IMHO, "ANSWERED" should mean a reply such as "Sorry customer, we missed a key feature, we will deliver a fix/patch/upgrade within x days/weeks/months" OR "Sorry customer, but we will NOT develop this feature anymore".

"I'll log this as an improvement request for the product team." (MikkoK, 1 year ago)
    My most accomodating opinion is that this issue should be marked as "READ"; but after one year without results "IGNORED" is maybe the best option.
    Superuser
    What YamFazMan said is an answer. Nobody likes it but is an answer...

I’m afraid that TomTom thinks that they’re Apple of nav. systems but they’re not. Simplicity is nice (and difficult to achieved) but it can’t be applied to everything...
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,166 Moderator
    Hi TheMapper

As you are the topic starter and since you don't feel any replies have satisfactorily answered your question then, in that case, I have unmarked it.

Thanks
    Vikram