GO Mobile for iPhone lagging with GPS positioning - Page 3 — TomTom Community

GO Mobile for iPhone lagging with GPS positioning

13»

Comments

• LisaC7LisaC7 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Feek wrote:
    I mentioned in another thread about the lag and have been asked to start a new thread (despite that fact that scrolling through the support forum over the last few days, there are already multiple threads about this).

For me (as I mentioned here) the major problem with TomTom GO is the lag.

I checked yesterday and I can be regularly three or four seconds ahead of my position on the map. I've now tried GO on a number of different model iPhones and it's the same on all of them. This is not down to individual setup, this is down to the software. Other navigation programs don't suffer from this lag, it's only TomTom GO.

I'm fed up with the lack of response from TomTom about the lag issue. The representatives on this forum are only focussed on telling us how fantastic the new application is and banging on about new (largely useless) features.

The one thing which could persuade me to move from the old app to the new one is for the lag to be fixed. In the current state, TomTom GO is simply not fit for purpose.

I just want someone from TomTom to actually have the decency to admit that lag is a major issue within GO and that it's being addressed. I don't want to be forced from what I've repeatedly described as the best navigation app on the market (TomTom W. Europe and equivalents) to the biggest, steamiest pile of hotspur which is GO.

I'm incredibly frustrated with the way we're being treated.

Does anyone else agree with me?
    Not only do I have lag, it freezes also and won’t pick up the satilite. I want the old app back. I have to shut down the app and restart it to pick up the satilite. Not helpful in heavy traffic.
    Feek wrote:
    I mentioned in another thread about the lag and have been asked to start a new thread (despite that fact that scrolling through the support forum over the last few days, there are already multiple threads about this).

For me (as I mentioned here) the major problem with TomTom GO is the lag.

I checked yesterday and I can be regularly three or four seconds ahead of my position on the map. I've now tried GO on a number of different model iPhones and it's the same on all of them. This is not down to individual setup, this is down to the software. Other navigation programs don't suffer from this lag, it's only TomTom GO.

I'm fed up with the lack of response from TomTom about the lag issue. The representatives on this forum are only focussed on telling us how fantastic the new application is and banging on about new (largely useless) features.

The one thing which could persuade me to move from the old app to the new one is for the lag to be fixed. In the current state, TomTom GO is simply not fit for purpose.

I just want someone from TomTom to actually have the decency to admit that lag is a major issue within GO and that it's being addressed. I don't want to be forced from what I've repeatedly described as the best navigation app on the market (TomTom W. Europe and equivalents) to the biggest, steamiest pile of hotspur which is GO.

I'm incredibly frustrated with the way we're being treated.

Does anyone else agree with me?
    also I have the information iPhone x
  • teecee90teecee90 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same problem. Doesn't look like it is ever going to be fixed. Best switch to Garmin I guess.
  • FeekFeek Posts: 37 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Bumping my old thread just to reinforce the fact that TomTom don't care about their customers because the app is no better than it was.
  • m4rkwm4rkw Posts: 14 [Master Explorer]
    Feek wrote:
    Bumping my old thread just to reinforce the fact that TomTom don't care about their customers because the app is no better than it was.

Yep they don't care. I've had a support ticket open since early november and no updates on the issue since December. The only suggestions were basic 1stline nonsense like uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

To add insult to injury, someone from TomTom replied yesterday to my 1-star review asking me to uninstall and reinstall the app and call their support number if I was still having problems. Presumably so they can just tell me to uninstall and reinstall it again.

I took the opportunity to update my review to make it very clear to anyone who stumbles across it that TomTom don't care about their users and that people shouldn't spend their hard-earned money on their buggy software that they are either unwilling or unable to fix.
  • DavidQPRDavidQPR Posts: 25 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    The lagging is as bad as it was two years ago, something I never experienced with the original app. Why can’t they admit defeat, admit they don’t have clever enough developers to fix the app, and just bring back cameras and traffic to the original app. I’d happily pay the monthly fee for it.

i regularly miss turnings because of the lag and I’m totally sick of it
    I have emailed the CEO of TomTom requesting some kind of update on this issue. Email text below. If we don't have a reply within a few days I guess we can conclude that they really don't care.

Dear Mr Goddijn

I am sorry to have to email you directly but other channels have proved fruitless.

Are you aware that TomTom Go Mobile for iOS has a serious lag issue affecting several users which is apparently being ignored by your support teams? In some cases users report that the lag borders on being dangerous.

I have had a ticket open since early November - 171102-xxxxxx - that has had no updates since 1st December.

Several people on the TomTom discussion forums report the same issue:

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/tomtom-go-mobile-and-navigation-for-iphone-ipad-29/go-mobile-for-iphone-lagging-with-gps-positioning-1021044/index3.html

I reached out to TomTom on twitter and was told that the issue was "still under investigation":

yet it seems very strange that this could be the case when seemingly none of the affected users have been contacted with requests for any kind of debug information or testing in order to try to reproduce the issue or get to the bottom of it.

You'll also note that the TomTom twitter account has not responded to my request for further information on whether the issue has been reproduced internally, nor has anyone from support replied to my recent message to my open support ticket.

The perception at this point is that the issue is simply being swept under the rug and ignored by TomTom.

I would be grateful if you could have somebody respond to the affected users and give us some idea of when this issue might be fixed and what is being done to investigate it. In the absence of this I will assume that the answer is nothing and will not renew my subscription when it expires next year.

Furthermore since I originally paid a hefty sum of money for the original TomTom app which worked perfectly and am only using the new app now because the old version is deprecated leaving me no choice, I will make a point of not buying any other TomTom products in the future for fear of being treated similarly.

Kind regards,

Mark Wadham

Mod edit: Please do not post any personal information on a public forum!
  • DavidQPRDavidQPR Posts: 25 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Very good email. Don’t hold your breath for a reply
    I emailed him about another issue some years ago and got a reply fairly quickly. It is possible that upper management are not aware of the issue and the PR problems and lost revenue that it might end up causing.
    I got a reply from someone else just now. Aside from addressing me as "Ms" it seems fairly positive.

Dear Ms Wadham,

Hello, This is Carl from the TomTom Customer Care team. I am contacting you regarding your e mail to Harold Goddijn’s office which we have received this week at our Headquarters in Amsterdam. The reference number for your query is 180501-xxxxxx.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding the lag issue on your iOS GO MOBILE app. I first want to mention that I do not see your phone number on file. Do you mind providing me with your phone number so we can talk about this issue over the phone?

I have taken some time this morning to review this issue and have found quite a bit of information. This issue has been reported through many of our support outlets and we do indeed have a ticket open for this issue.

However what I want to do for you is be on top of this this week and chase down the people in the right departments to find some answers for you. I want to see what has been happening to the ticket and what we can do to move forward in getting this issue fixed. I do not want to further delay any action on this issue as you are right, this has been going on for some time now with no resolution and the amount of people reporting it on the forums is something we need to be aware of.

Now I will compile all the reports here and build a case for you and the other impacted users to raise the priority on this issue.

Right now I want to make the commitment to you that I am on top of this this week and will get back to you soon. I need some time to find some answers so thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

If you do have any more queries, or would like to update me, please don’t hesitate to contact me via the link in this message and I’ll be more than happy to help.

With kind regards,
    TomTom Customer Care Team

Mod edit: Please do not post any personal information on a public forum!
  • Ainsley001Ainsley001 Posts: 35 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Well that's at least the most positive message on the topic we've seen. Rather like North Korea, however, lets wait and see if anything actually happens.
  • nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 20 [Outstanding Explorer]
    David QPR wrote:
    The lagging is as bad as it was two years ago, something I never experienced with the original app. Why can’t they admit defeat, admit they don’t have clever enough developers to fix the app, and just bring back cameras and traffic to the original app. I’d happily pay the monthly fee for it.
    I am still using traffic with the okd app & it’s working well. I stacked up 36 months of purchases before they switched off the ability to pay for more months of traffic. It’s over six months since support was dropped but they could bring it back anytime if they wanted to.

i figured that three years should be long enough for TomTom to get the Go app back to feature & performance parity with the old Navigation app.
    Dear Ms Wadham,

The reference number for your query is 180501-xxxxxxx.

It's xxx from TomTom Customer Care again.

Thank you for your patience while I have been looking into this.

When you originally reported this and the forum you showed me was active, we had someone by the name of Mikko helping you guys and collecting all of the data from that forum to create a ticket. He the creator of the ticket and was managing it and this is my best explanation for why it has taken us so long to investigate this issue.

The past two weeks I have been talking to one of my colleagues on our Product Lifecycle Team about the issue and how we can put pressure to fix this. He has just updated me that he has a meeting tomorrow with our development team and he will raise this issue. I will update you as soon as he updates me.

At the moment we have limited resources and we deal with issues based on the volume of customers the problem is impacting. On a grand scale, this issue is not impacting that many customers compared to other tickets so it has had a low priority. What I am trying to do now is fight for you and customers alike to try and add some priority to this issue.

Stay tuned. I will reach out to you again soon with an update.

Again, I'm sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Please get back to me if you need any further assistance, I'm happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer Service Representative

Mod edit: Please don't post private or personal information on a public forum.Thanks!
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 368 [Supreme Pioneer]
    That reply sounds encouraging, but we'll have to wait and see. :grinning:
    m4rkw wrote:
    At the moment we have limited resources and we deal with issues based on the volume of customers the problem is impacting. On a grand scale, this issue is not impacting that many customers compared to other tickets so it has had a low priority. What I am trying to do now is fight for you and customers alike to try and add some priority to this issue.

The answer is to spend some money to get some more resources!

We don't know how TomTom is set up but surely they have different development teams for PNDs, Android, and iOS? The development team(s) cannot be a 'jack of all trades' and nothing would get done as they'd concentrate on other platforms.

On an aside, surely a two year old lagging problem is considered a dangerous issue and should have been prioritised and fixed much sooner?

Regards,
    I have said pretty much this in response. It seems like this guy is fighting our case at least.
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,847 Moderator
    Hi All,

Thank you for your feedback about the issue you’re having with the TomTom GO Mobile app. We’re aware that a small number of our customers are experiencing GPS lag – and we’re working very hard to resolve this problem. However we need more time to get to the bottom of why some customers are experiencing this lag, after which we’ll be able to provide an update on how we’re addressing it, and to give a timeline of when it will be solved.

So far the multiple investigations we’ve had, and fixes we’ve tried to implement have not achieved the desired result. In the meantime, we offer our sincere apologies. Our customers should expect the best from us, and in this case, we’re falling short. Please do bear with us!

Regards, lampard
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 368 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Hi lampard,

Thanks for the official acknowledgment of the lagging problem.

Unfortunately it's most people on this forum and a look at the Apple App store shows that a lot of the reviews mention lag as well.

We understand that TomTom needs more time but TomTom has already had 2.5 years as the bug was mentioned as soon as iOS GO Mobile was released.

Would TomTom please release a series of maps that do not contain 3D buildings as my theory is that lagging on iOS GO Mobile is not helped by the 3D maps. Non-3D maps would make the maps smaller and hopefully quicker to process.

Regards,
    Robert.
  • SinglePointSafetySinglePointSafety Posts: 41 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Been following this thread with interest, having just installed TT GO on wife's iPhone, using the 'free' miles to product test before we commit. Her phone is a fairly new iPhone 8 with latest OS, and there is no discernible lag. As she drove, I examined the map image very closely and any 'lag' is no different to what we see (or don't) on Google Navigation, or TT GO on my Android phone.

So.... I have a tiny bit of sympathy with TT if there is some combination of phone OS or other apps or who-knows-what which is causing this problem: it's certainly not universal.

But not too much sympathy, since the issue that's a real killer is the inability to get navigation instructions onto the car radio via Bluetooth - but that's another thread! How hard can that be?
    It's pretty clear at this point that TomTom don't care about their users. I will not be renewing my subscription at the end of the 3-year free term.
    It's now been more than 2 years since this issue was raised and it remains unresolved. TomTom do not even contact me anymore, it's clear they don't care about their users so I've stopped using their app. CoPilot has better features anyway, including custom POIs which you can't do with TomTom Go.

So long and thanks for all the fish.