Installing maps on a new SD card — TomTom Community

Installing maps on a new SD card

ajmacleodajmacleod Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 31 in Built in car navigation
I purchased a map of Western Europe only to discover it wouldn't install on my TomTom SD card (because it was too small).

So I bought a new SD card, and had problems getting it working! I tried following directions I found on the internet, but couldn't get it working... but I did manage to get it working eventually myself. Here is what I did:

1. Placed new SD card in my car navigation system (Renault Grand Scenic).

2. Turned car on, let the new SD card initialise.

3. Switched-off the car.

4. Put the original TomTom SD card into (old) MacBook Pro - since it has an SD slot!

5. Copied everything on the SD card into a folder on the Mac.

6. Inserted the new SD card.

7. Copied everything from the folder on the Mac onto the new SD card.

Voila!

It works :)

Comments

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,344 TomTom Moderator
    Hi ajmacleod

Welcome to the community:)

Thank you for sharing the troubleshooting steps. Other users having similar problems would definitely benefit from this.

Regards
    Vikram
  • CarminatCarminat Posts: 960 [Revered Pioneer]
    You forgot step 8.

8. Started TT Home and downloaded the map I'd bought onto the new SD card.
  • Carminat UserCarminat User Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Hi all, I've got a 2010 Renault Grand Scenic with a Carminat TomTom satnav built into it. I'm trying to update the maps on it at the moment to a Western Europe map. I've purchased the Western Europe map. I've installed TomTom Home on my PC and put the SD card from the Carminat into the SD port on the PC, however, TomTom Home is showing 'Device not connected' and not recognising the SD card. Any ideas where I am going wrong? Could the storage on the SD card be too small? It's a 2GB card with a UK and Ireland map installed on it at the moment. Hope you can help.
    Something's not right here with the chronology if it happened in the sequence you said.

You've bought the map, but then installed Home. Wrong - you need to install Home before you can buy the map. Normally, if you haven't already got Home, the SD card carries a version for installing.

Not recognising the card? How do you know the size of the card if it's not recognised? Yes, 2GB will not be enough for Europe map (especially if you already have another map on there.

Where did you purchase the Western Europe map? You can only buy it from TomTom as a download, to be downloaded through Home.

Using a new, larger SD card, you need to follow the 8 steps decribed above.
    Thanks for the swift reply. The SD card that came with the car has 2GB printed on it which is why I think that's the size. I also have a spare 16GB SDHC card, would that work for the Western European map size do you think? Bought the map on the TomTom website. Will have to check if I bought it through TomTom home. I didn't think so.

I'm able to open and view the SD card contents on the PC, but TomTom home doesn't recognise the device as being installed.
    I put the new 16 GB SDHC card into the slot on my TomTom system and initialised the TomTom. It gave a message saying my SD card was now ready to use with TomTom Home.

I opened TomTom Home on my PC and logged in. It recognised the new SD card and I was able to download the Western Europe map that I had purchased onto the new SD card.

I installed the new SD card into the TomTom in the car and it seems to have the new maps that I purchased.

The favourite locations / recent destinations that I had on the old card didn't copy over. Is it possible to copy these to the new card as well?
    I don't think so - at least I don't know how myself.
    Ok. No problem. Thanks very much for your help.