TOMTOM GO 6200 With WIFI - Charging Status

darren740_un25
darren740_un25 Registered Users Posts: 10
Legendary Explorer
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I purchased a Go 6200 last weekend from a famous online retailer and upon set up everything worked except for the traffic, I was able to charge it and all seemed fine. Satnav worked on the way to work on Monday morning, called tomtom and got traffic activated but that evening the unit would not turn on. It was on charge in the car and still nothing, charged all night (felt warm in the morning) and still it would not boot up (reset tried). Called customer support and they said it must be fault and return it back to the supplier.

Why am I telling you all this, well......

I returned the faulty unit and a new unit was received in its place.
Turned it on, traffic worked straight off and all seemed fine.
Used the unit for 3 or 4 journeys but what I have noticed is that I very really get the charging icon, most of the time its just the battery rectangle. My question is, do I have another faulty unit?, is there something wrong with the tomtom operating system?, what do others see.

I have used for different leads, two of each types (4UUC.001.04B, 4UUC.001.35), plugged directly into the unit and used two screen mounts. I've powered the various combinations via the supplied 1.5A in car adaptors (two off used) in two different cars. I have also used three different mains powered adaptors with 2.1A supplies and all the results have been the same! For 99% of the time I just see a battery simple, on the odd occasion I see the charging symbol. I also can report that no matter what the combination is the satnav turns on automatically when the power is applied so to me this indicates that the power is reaching the satnav unit.

When connected to the PC, mydrive sees the unit no matter what cable I use but does not synch because it senses the type and says use the WIFI to update the unit (which of course needs a fully charged unit too!)

I hope I don't have another faulty unit has I'm about to do an intense weekend of driving next weekend and need a working satnav but my fear is that after a couple of hours if the unit is not charging then it will turn off and never to come back on again ( Sounds familiar, just like my first unit!)

Sorry for a long first post but rather concerned on the reliability and my current situation despite being a very happy tomtom user since the "One"

Ps I am going into the more screen to see the icons at the top, anyone know how to see a "charge bar" like we used to have on older versions and likewise like the old versions I am assuming the device continues to charge if its on or off!

Comments

• Zsolt
    Zsolt Posts: 36,014
    Superuser
    That sounds real odd. Would have said that there is something with the charger or the car's CL, but clearly not. But also chances are real slim that 2 units in a row are faulty.

For the Wi-Fi update, you don't need full battery, just need to be connected to a power source. The other day I used an external power bank and actually that run flat, yet the device recognised it as "charging" (or being on charger) and the update was running fine.

There is no charge bar unfortunately, just the indication at the main menu (with the flash). Not sure it would charge though when you turn it off completely.
  • darren740_un25
    Legendary Explorer
    Thanks for the reply, I would have expected to see the charging flash every time the unit is powered up but I don't see it. Like you say it is odd but 4 leads, two cars and 4 power sources makes me think it's the unit.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,790
    Superuser
    When connected to the PC, MyDrive sees the unit no matter what cable I use but does not synch because it senses the type and says use the WIFI to update the unit (which of course needs a fully charged unit too!)
    Hi
    You can still update the WiFi Devices over USB

(1)... Have MyDrive Connect running in the background on you PC's TaskBar (You can close the Main MyDrive Connect Window) It will only display the Tomtom splash screen telling you to "Update this device using WiFi"
    (2)... Connect your GO 6200 to the PC via the USB lead
    (3)... On the device use the 4Dot (.... Menu) > "Setting" > "Updates & New Items" Menu to update your GO 6200

ATB YFM
  • darren740_un25
    Legendary Explorer
    Thanks for this information and the boot screen option in the other thread. I have tried booting into this and when at 87% the "z" is shown and when at 100% nothing. From memory it was about 4.2V for 100%

Thanks again as this shows the unit is charging but would still have preferred to see an indicator on the map screen to show t was "on power" and not running off the battery.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,790
    Superuser
    @darren740_un25
    Hi
    If you are worrying about the device charging, you might consider one of these gadgets
    ff14d18a-fa22-4039-8f08-59e30fb97b07.jpgOr
    33c8b359-4c2d-49f2-ad49-c8c34b97dca8.jpg Simply plug the device into the USB socket and plug your lead into the USB Doctor, the device will display the Voltage and Power being used by your various USB devices
    I have one of each type they're only peanuts to buy, search Amazon/Ebay for USB Doctor

ATB YFM