Original iOS app - End of life in September - Page 8 — TomTom Community

Original iOS app - End of life in September

Comments

• PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 320 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Hi TheyCallMeDoogie
    So the moment of truth has arrived, will it be good enough after over a year of bug fix opportunities?

After alpha and beta testing, plus 18 months of general release, iOS GO Mobile is useless and in fact dangerous. There is still the infamous lag at roundabouts and junctions where iOS GO Mobile gets confused and picks any road apart from the one that you actually drove (regardless of whether you've followed directions). For Australia and New Zealand users there's a special problem where journey ETA is out by one hour. The maps are too large (who wants 3D maps for driving?), there's no custom POI support yet TomTOm moderators keep telling us how great MyDrive is (MyDrive is still not supported by iOS GO Mobile, and also MyDrive is not as good as the old app for custom POI).
    Has anyone tried TomTom Go (iOS) in the last month?
    Yes.
    When I'm in an area that I know, I use iOS GO Mobile. However when I'm in an area that I don't know or I'm on holiday I revert back to the old app. Why? Because the old app doesn't have the dangerous lag and it also has custom POI support which is essential to me.

I still have roughly 18 months left of my 3 year free subscription. Frankly based on currently speed of development (and/or bug fixing) I'm not expecting iOS GO Mobile to be any good within the next 18 months. If my free subscription ends before iOS GO Mobile is a decent SatNav then I will not pay for a subscription. If I'd paid for a subscription I'd be demanding a refund as iOS GO Mobile is not fit for purpose.

On a final note, after 18 months of waiting for iOS GO Mobile to become a decent SatNav, I have bought a Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D PND which takes custom POIs, and has lifetime free maps AND traffic.
    I'm amazed they didn't want to keep creaming the live traffic subscriptions from the old app.
    I'm disappointed after 18 months TomTom hasn't turned iOS GO Mobile around to become a decent SatNav. In the early days loads of people were active in this forum reporting errors and asking for new features (free market research) but if you look now, I think that the forum is very quiet - because people have just given up on TomTom and moved away to TomTom's competitors!

Regards,
  • zoonyxzoonyx Posts: 29 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Yep I'm seeing the same thing. I have 1 day left, but no option to extend. Complete joke considering the "one last map update" rubbish from TomTom. It's basically useless without traffic and once again I feel like Tomtom have deliberately kept this quiet.

I don't see the point in giving us the latest map but removing traffic.

BTW, the in app purchase is still available, as are the traffic servers, so if anyone finds a bypass to enable the purchase option, please let us all know! :)
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Service subscription purchases are indeed no longer available for the old Navigation app for iPhone. As I've already mentioned, since the app is no longer supported we can't guarantee that you'd be able to use your subscription and therefore rather avoid the risk of you running in such situation.

Cheers, Mikko
  • AD2012AD2012 Posts: 63 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    So you've now sabotaged the one reason for still using the app and providing revenue for TomTom, rather than switching to a competitors app?

As you can see from the pages of comments on here, the forced upgrade(downgrade) to the GO app is really unpopular with loyal long term customers.

If the comments on here weren't obvious evidence of how poor the GO app is, then surely the feedback on the App Store for the new app is sufficient evidence?

Why is TomTom forcing it's customers to either use an inferior TomTom product or moving to competitor products?
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi all,

Service subscription purchases are indeed no longer available for the old Navigation app for iPhone. As I've already mentioned, since the app is no longer supported we can't guarantee that you'd be able to use your subscription and therefore rather avoid the risk of you running in such situation.

Cheers, Mikko

For the sake of £1.49 (UK price), I'll take the risk?! It's absolutely insane the way you've handled this.

I can claim back the in app purchase anyway from apple if the "situation" happened.

Mind boggling. I'm off to try and get my app cost refunded. I appreciate you're the social team but I have no idea what Tomtom is playing at now.
  • UndertokerUndertoker Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I wanted to register and add my peneth after reading the frankly appauling thread.

Ive been a tom tom user for decades as it is simply the best tool for the job
    Some time ago i noticed a singificant revision in the software and deliberatly didnt update it because i could see what they were doing, taking a liberty frankly.

Since that time ive seen those that did update become steadily more miserable, the GO app is utterly appauling, almost to the point of commercial suicide.
    What is also appauling is the conduct of Tom Tom suddenly betraying is customers on a product that was advertised as a lifetimes support.

As mobile phones now backup to a pc and keep your apps safe you can then use them on the next phone and the next and so on and so forth, but suddenly now Tom Tom wont honour their promise.

What is even more appauling is the total lack of any remotely constructive input from tom tom in this thread, in fact id wager even Mikko is cringing every time he makes a post, his input has been at best very poor, bordering on totally disinterested

As i was sensible enough not to update the app months ago i still have the old version, that should run foreverif i dont update it, but i prmoise you thisTom Tom
    I will never spend another penny on a Tom Tom product and you have totally lost me as a customer from this point forward.
    Your conduct has been utterly appauling frankly and i have rarely seen such stupidity in what was a clear market leader and a potential gold mine for you - good bye Tom Tom
    I will also be getting my apple refund if its possible to get it
  • Jack BurgJack Burg Posts: 37 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Undertoker wrote:
    IAs i was sensible enough not to update the app months ago i still have the old version, that should run forever
    I am afraid that will not work with the current and all further versions of iTunes. Apple removed the local app storage and makes us dependent on the availability of an app in the app store. That mean the old TomTom app is gone when TomTom decides to remove it from the app store. At least when you get a new iPhone do you need the app from the app store.
    So now we need to also keep a computer running the previous version of iTunes as well as a backup copy of the old app.
    I bought the app in August 2011. Apple responded to my request for a refund stating that due to the time lapses they couldn’t refund. However as a good will gesture I got 3 free iTunes rentals worth £4.49 each.

Not sure whether to push further or leave it there.

Would certainly complain to Apple if only to make sure tomtom get the feedback on their actions
    The "Ryanair" of the navigation software market!
  • R6DemonR6Demon Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Goodbye TomTom, you have killed a fantastic product by stopping the Traffic updates. I have logged in this morning to update my subscription that I have held for 5 years and its no longer available. The Go App is horrific, one of the worst I have ever seen. You are making a huge mistake, but judging by the lack of response, you do not seem overly bothered :?
  • hildepe1hildepe1 Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Oh well.

That's it then. Couple of days left with traffic subscription whereas safety cameras expired, and no new options available. What a wonderful journey I had with TomTom until they came with GO.

There's no way I'll go to GO. Tried it for one week, and been following since then the development of new version. So far I haven't been impressed and yet the UI unless dramatically changed suddenly simply is horrendous to use + let's not forget the maps size.

All in all, that's it then. Luckily at least in majority of Europe Google Maps and Waze are now viable options given roaming ban. Waze still has issue plotting routes between longer distances, but in these cases, Google Maps is the next best thing.

Enjoy the ride TomTom, I'm out now. Thanks for the golden years of GPS navigation with mobile. It was great!

br,
    Petri
  • PeaceyPeacey Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Zoonyx please tell me you didn't hat to except that offer? I'm really not happy about all this, Iv had these apps for I think close to 10 years and can eco most of what being said. I will not go with anything TomTom after this that's for sure, Iv used the two side by side as a friend down loaded Go (by mistake after being another on a trip with me and see how good the old app was with live traffic ect).... it wasn't a patch on my app in every way! ? I spent a lot of money over the years to have the best, Europe and the uk and Irland one (which I got first before I released you could get Europe one), always paid for the traffic and cams over all those years too! and even back then couldn't believe they were separate apps and not just an upgrade to one app, when you wanted Europe, but I never moaned about it as it was a good product. Now they just pull the rug from under our feet after so long!?!? Really really not happy and will be perusing my money back as we all should I won't be happy with tomtom or apple until I have the price of the apps back!
  • KurgolKurgol Posts: 20 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Totally agree, they should at a minimum be offering a lifetime subscription to tomtom go to customers who previously purchased tomtom for iphone/ios.

The fact it's not available on ipad is glaring. the fact it doesn't implement all the features off the old software is bad. the fact you willing to trash your paying and loyal customers, disgusting.

Will never buy another tomtom app. reputation ruined.
  • DavidQPRDavidQPR Posts: 25 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    That’s me out of here now I can’t renew the traffic or cameras. Have downloaded Sygic and paid for cameras and traffic. First downloaded TomTom app years ago but it’s goodbye now.
  • TurtzTurtz Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I can't believe that TomTom can't continue the iOS app or at least offer loyal owners of the app some replacement/credit other than the woeful TomTom Go!

I think TomTom for iOS must have been one of the most expensive apps ever launched in App Store. At AU$89 or something it was still the best app on my phone allowing me to just have one device, one charge cord, integrated contact navigation and Darth Vader turn guidance!! Used constantly, I really loved this app and must have influenced 10-20 sales of it to friends and family. It is so disappointing to hear that TomTom have abandoned it and after using Go! I don't know what they are thinking??
  • Jenson47Jenson47 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I’m surprised I haven’t seen anyone saying the same I’m about to... The app cost me more than £50! And I was regularly paying for HD service but TomTom have decided to stop servicing the app. What right do they have to walk away from our investment? Ok, I get 3 years free service with TTGO but what then? I cover 50’000 miles per year and they want to charge me per mile!

TomTom made a decision to walk away from their customers on the original app. You’re not worth their time and they’ve already spent your money. “Thanks! You bought our CEO a new boat but it needs servicing now, so as a customer, you’re old news”.

Oh! And they’re trying to wriggle out of it by lying to you! Hoping that most users are technophobes.. “Due to the progress of apple technology we can no longer support the original app”! The maps are still loaded on your device and the traffic info is till coming through the data network. TomTom Go isn’t a new app! It’s an update. But an update that eliminates the value of your original purchase.
  • TurtzTurtz Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Couldn't agree more! For ages, TomTom was the highest grossing app in the app store. No wonder for the price they charged! How is it that a $10 calendar app or $2 game can be continuously upgraded through the various iOS evolutions, but yet an AU$85 TomTom app can't? The new TTGO is really bad, so now I'm back to using CoPilot, which isn't much better! Please TomTom, bring back support, or even re-write / update the app. I'd be happy with a modest upgrade fee (e.g. AU$20) but don't kill us off?!!
  • hildepe1hildepe1 Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Thanks for the mail TomTom, giving thanks for using the old TomTom navigation app, and wishing you'll see me using the new Go one, based on and improved on the feedback provided by users.

Well, to be honest. Go just simply put: sucks. Sorry. It's so fundamentally broken for me starting with the design: I'm sorry. No can do.

Sure if you're first time user picking first even navigation app, maybe this is the the one - although Apple Maps and Google Maps might be appealing and first hand candidates too given their respective companies' weight behind, and having them available as 1st party navigation apps in their respective platforms.

Go is a no go. Period.

However, if you ever think maybe forcing people to adopt the new crappy solution wasn't stellar idea, and you might just considering having old one available as legacy app including live services as monthly subscriptions and regularly updated maps - sure! I'll be back! :) Still love the product! The OLD product! ..and happy to pay for the premiums services too!

br,
    Petri
  • SwampsnakeSwampsnake Posts: 34 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Fortunately I stacked about 18 months worth of traffic updates just before the price went up after Brexit, so I should be OK until Apr 2018. At least the mods on here have stated I'll be refunded if they pull the plug before then (I kept a screen shot of it just incase it "disappears").

I also got the "so long and thanks for all the fish" email with the 3 years subscription, but I foolishly tried the Go app when it first came out. It was soooo bad I went back to the original app, and except for a couple of test to see if it had improved I didn't give it much thought until today.

Of course, the subscription has expired.

After all the money I and many others have given this company you would think that the free 3 year subscription would start AFTER the original app was end of life, not timed to coincide with it.
    If you are expecting rewarding for loyalty, you are looking in the wrong place.

Tomtom refuse to accept facts, or the feedback from their previously loyal users, who have paid their wages for many years.

The new app is the software equivalent of the “kings new suit”, if they truly believe it is viable they don’t deserve to keep their jobs.
  • TTYodaTTYoda Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Does anyone know if the unsupported tom-tom app is still working on most recent version of IOS? I haven't updated my iPhone since they stopped supporting the app last year as I assume at some point it won't work. I have both the UK and USA maps apps and need to keep using. I'm on IOS 10.3.3 at the moment.
  • SwampsnakeSwampsnake Posts: 34 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    TTYoda wrote:
    Does anyone know if the unsupported tom-tom app is still working on most recent version of IOS? I haven't updated my iPhone since they stopped supporting the app last year as I assume at some point it won't work. I have both the UK and USA maps apps and need to keep using. I'm on IOS 10.3.3 at the moment.

I have an iPhone X with the latest iOS and it works OK.
  • DavidQPRDavidQPR Posts: 25 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Yes it does.
  • TTYodaTTYoda Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Swampsnake wrote:
    TTYoda wrote:
    I have an iPhone X with the latest iOS and it works OK.

Great...I can risk it then. Some of my apps are need most recent IOS so it would be useful to upgrade to 11.