Original iOS app - End of life in September — TomTom Community

Original iOS app - End of life in September

swampsnake19swampsnake19 Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
Just had the latest update for the original, and still the best, TomTom Europe and you are going to end of life in September??

"Rapid changes in TomTom and Apple Technologies mean that we cannot continue offering updates to this app. For this reason we will not be supporting this app from September onwards"

There is no way I will use the new app. Too laggy, no iPad support, no custom POI's and a stupid interface. Goodbye TomTom, it used to be great. I'll stick with Waze now its just as good.

Comments

• ScuzzeralexScuzzeralex Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I agree the Go App is awful! It must be very badly coded as the latest iPhones struggle to run it at full speed and it is a lot more difficult to read and use than the original app. It is also very slow to update traffic and has a noticeable hit on battery life.

TomTom has been an incredible app and I'll keep using it for the next few months that it's supported. After September I'll cancel my traffic subscription and move to one of the more suitable free mapping services - I knew it was too good to last.
  • hildepe1hildepe1 Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    HAH! So there we have it finally. The end draws near....

I've been using TomTom standalone products since forever until the user interface changed to laggy sluggish crap I came to know w/VIA [something] series. Stopped at this point to use those products completely, and similarly stopped paying yearly update fees to pay for the maps, partly as the iOS version was WAY better with all functionality included but having in addition internet connectivity + updates coming automatically. Convenient! And with the latest mobiles also the GPS accuracy was more than enough, even in the most dense urban areas.

Then came the Go. Jumped on board right away, and gave up pretty much after using it five times? Well, anyway around one week or so. I followed up a bit the update cycles hoping it would develop faster, and yet the more I used the old version, the more I just learned to love its simplicity and functionality. Might have not been the prettiest, but it sure did the job!

Now, it looks like TomTom is finally fed up with people rioting against Go, and trying force feed tactics. Or maybe they simply cannot afford supporting anymore two versions + anyway they need a milking cow, and despite (some) people arguably paying for monthly traffic + cameras, like I do... it doesn't seem to be enough, especially when Google Maps, Waze, Apple Maps anyway is providing all of this for free (well, except cameras in most cases).

A pity. A great working tool I've used every time I step into the car is about to end up to the land of fantastic forgotten apps. And yep, there's no way I'll jump on board of the horror known as Go -- nor the subscription model. I guess this is it for the TomTom adventure. Sad but true.

The good news is, we have plenty of working options nowadays. I've been anyway using Waze in parallel comparing the routing options + actively editing maps and reporting issues + road conditions etc while driving, and with Europe waving goodbye to roaming data, we have less to worry about the connectivity needs. I still prefer TomTom for searching addresses, POIs etc, but if they choose this path.. so be it.

The only annoyance I really have nowadays with Waze: try plotting long route, say crossing Europe. TomTom... no issues. Does the job neatly. Waze: goes belly up waiting for the routing info from the servers. Meh.

Going to enjoy TomTom until autumn and let's see how fast the last version is rendered or becomes useless w/iOS updates later or.

-p
  • blunny23blunny23 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I just don't understand why TomTom would destroy their business and good name??? It's clear everyone hates the GO app, it's absolutely awfull!! Why not ditch the go which has horrible reviews and admit you made a mistake and go back to the simple amazing app we all love?? Your going to loose all your customers including me. Why would you do this?? It doesn't make any sense?
  • bLackjackjbLackjackj Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    I can't believe this TOMTOM!

I have been using this original app since day 1 and love it because it replicated the hardware version of the TOMTOM I used to own. I tried the new app when it was released and it was useless, visually wrong and laggy. The UI sucks.

PLEASE DON'T STOP SUPPORTING OR RELEASING UPDATES,..I BEG OF YOU!

I rely on this app and use it every single time I hop into the car,..it's quick, snappy, looks the part.
  • Clint989Clint989 Posts: 41 [Outstanding Explorer]
    This is surely the beginning of the end for TomTom. The Go App has too many shortcomings to mention and the snail-paced development cycle means there is little chance of this changing any time soon. It seems that TomTom don't pay any attention to the overwhelming feedback on this Forum.

I have zero expectation that TomTom will listen to any of this and change course (pun intended). :-(
  • jamesinghamjamesingham Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I have tried to use the new app several times and it is just not as good as the original one. Too laggy and that's running on an iPhone 6s. I would go as far to say that it is unusable. The old app however runs as well now as it did on my iPhone3G in 2009.

I have no intentions to pay a subscription for a below average application and after purchasing 4 Tomtom iOS apps for various countries, I expected the map support to last longer than this.

As for these "rapid changes", that is complete bull. Software is a huge part of what TomTom does as a company and if they really cared about their current customers (and IMO their brand) they would pump a little maintainance money for OS updates as they have been doing for the past few years. The apps are already built to manage map updates and this has been working well!

I'd be happy to pay a small sub fee for OS updates for this version of the app.
  • Glynns1Glynns1 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    After sitting it out for 3 years, I finally handed over the money and bought TomTom for my iPhone., The cost was HUGE at the time - about $85 NZ. I felt it was worth it as TomTom promised that this once-only up-front cost was for LIFE!
    Well, guess what? This is straight out deception.
  • thewiccamanthewiccaman Posts: 30 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just had the latest update for the original, and still the best, TomTom Europe and you are going to end of life in September??

"Rapid changes in TomTom and Apple Technologies mean that we cannot continue offering updates to this app. For this reason we will not be supporting this app from September onwards"

There is no way I will use the new app. Too laggy, no iPad support, no custom POI's and a stupid interface. Goodbye TomTom, it used to be great. I'll stick with Waze now its just as good.

• PwcompPwcomp Posts: 11 [Master Traveler]
    This is awful news but I honestly doubt TomTom will lose any sleep over it. They have that rubbish go as app out which us making them money. So why will they worry about a few users who have already paid for an app. I like most rely on the app for Europe travel but the free ones that use data are no option. Sad day to see such a great programme dropped.
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 317 [Supreme Pioneer]
    The original TomTom iOS app showed all of the necessary information on show with a well designed GUI.

The GO Mobile app doesn't show enough journey information (you have to wait for it to cycle around which is dangerous). The loaded 3D maps are unnecessary on a SatNav. The GUI is all over the place. After over a year the GO Mobile app for iOS is still appalling yet the GO Mobile Android version is apparently much more advanced.

I will now be desperately searching for a better (competitor's) app that gives all of the journey information, and allows custom POIs.

So, how many here will be buying any other product with a TomTom name or connection?

Regards,
  • SwampsnakeSwampsnake Posts: 34 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Just another thought (and I will probably start another thread for this in case it gets lost in the noise...), because of the unreliable way of doing the monthly subscriptions for traffic I queued up 18 months worth just before Xmas so my traffic is due to expire in March 2018.

Does "No Longer Support" mean no more traffic updates?

I also had to laugh at the line "Rapid changes in TomTom and Apple Technologies": iOS get's updated annually and when was the last time TomTom updated anything 'rapidly'???
    The original TomTom iOS app showed all of the necessary information on show with a well designed GUI.

Indeed - Everything you needed at a glance
    The GO Mobile app doesn't show enough journey information (you have to wait for it to cycle around which is dangerous). The loaded 3D maps are unnecessary on a SatNav. The GUI is all over the place. After over a year the GO Mobile app for iOS is still appalling yet the GO Mobile Android version is apparently much more advanced.

I install it after every update, try it for a couple of days then delete it again when I see they still haven't fixed the lagging problem. I still cannot see how they haven't resolved that yet when basically every user has this problem. Of course, some user's don't realise they do..
    I will now be desperately searching for a better (competitor's) app that gives all of the journey information, and allows custom POIs.

Good luck with that! Every app I have seen either has the same "too busy" interface where they are trying to cram too much onto the screen, or they are just way too expensive to buy as a one off and hope it does the job. I spent £60 on the Europe app and countless on traffic/camera subscriptions, and don't want to get burnt again.

I can understand that TomTom have to make a profit, and once everybody had bought the original base app they were always going to struggle to support mapping updates on the few traffic subscriptions alone. I would have cheerfully (maybe..) purchased map updates if that what was required to keep the app alive.

A couple of years after purchasing the app I fully expected a 'V2.xx' that was basically the same app with a couple of years map updates thrown in. Then a 'V3.xx' and so on. Just to abandon this line altogether is poor
    So, how many here will be buying any other product with a TomTom name or connection?

Nope, never again. They will have to do something wonderful first, and a free 3 year subscription to a useless new TomTom Go is far from that.
  • T6_LozT6_Loz Posts: 6 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I have been a user since V2.15 on Compaq iPaq so I know what I am taking about when I say you are making a BIG mistake!

No CarPlay support and now the end of the iPad app with no replacement!

I HATE THE GO APP! TomTom are you listening???
  • chris0123chris0123 Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Once again (remember the POI fiasco on iOS 8.3?) TomTom shows its disregard for loyal customers. I've been a user since 2004, with the original GO, then with the iPhone app. Just before this update & announcement I received an email offering one of the current GO models, at a modest discount, to replace the app. What possible reason could I have to install another piece of TT hardware in my car, or to switch to a grossly inferior iOS app? Like the original app, the GO hardware has free 'lifetime' updates; they just don't seem to have a clear understanding of what that word means. This time it really is goodbye, TomTom.
  • JasehamerJasehamer Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I thought this app had free updates for life when it was purchased????
    Jasehamer wrote:
    I thought this app had free updates for life when it was purchased????

The 'get-out' clause they use is here https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/map-purchasing-57/clarification-the-meaning-lifetime-maps-993679
    but in a nutshell you get free updates for "the life of the device or software", the life of which TomTom decide. It is typical marketing-speak which sounds fantastic but means nothing.
  • T6_LozT6_Loz Posts: 6 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I would happily pay for map updates for the iPad app rather than loose it altogether.
    T6_Loz wrote:
    I would happily pay for map updates for the iPad app rather than loose it altogether.

I totally agree. Seriously - How many resources would TomTom have to divert to ensure the app runs with latest iOS updates (once a year for major and maybe 3 minor ones) and to process the maps for the original app??? I bet there is more than one app writer out there who would take that task on. If you need another £15 a year for maps then do it, just don't kill off the app!
    A little update for readers of this thread. I asked the question about traffic in the other thread about the update here https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/tomtom-go-mobile-and-navigation-for-iphoneipad-29/new-navigation-for-iphoneipad-v127-available-for-download-1020836/index1.html#post1156680 :The reply is quite worrying, regardless of how the forum mod replied

MikkoK wrote:
    Hi Swampsnake,

No worries :D This doesn't affect the functionality of the app or your ability to use the services you've purchased for it.

The end of support here just means end of software and map updates for the app. After it comes to effect you also can't renew your TomTom Traffic and Speed Cameras services any more.

Cheers, Mikko

JUST MEANS THAT THE END OF UPDATES AND CANNOT RENEW SERVICES!?!?!?

At the very worst I was expecting the maps to stop updating, but now all functionality is coming to an end??? The way this app handles traffic over the abomination that is TomTom Go is a major reason of not moving on to a different company already.

They are not stopping updates, they are killing it altogether.
  • [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Supreme Navigator]
    (Almost) 2 years ago.
    android end of life
  • PwcompPwcomp Posts: 11 [Master Traveler]
    I wonder as it seems TTwill not support their users for free if they made a say £5.00 charge for yearly updates?
  • WimKeesWimKees Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I have been using TomTom aps since 2002, on two pocket PC's, on two ipac's, on an HTC one, on an iPhone 4s and now on my iPhone 6 plus.
    I have trialled the new mobile go app on my iPad. I prefer the old app.
    The update offer is 3 years for free. Which equals to €45,-. Traffic information on the old app was €20,- p/year. Now it is € 2,- p/month. That makes €72,- for three years. I was prepared to pay €72,- instead of updating to the free app. That is a telltale how much I like the new app.
    If yesterdays news means 'no more mapupdates' as of september, TomTom is losing one of the oldest customers.
  • skippingrockskippingrock Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    Unfortunately I think this means whichever comes first, the end of your life or the life of the app. It looks like they've gone for the former rather than, since it would not be very responsible for them to kill us all by having the app drive us all off a cliff somewhere.

I think that this is meaning that the app is getting too old for them to support (diminished returns) and as such was put on basically life support when they pulled the app for sale on their store.
    Now the parents, with medical bills too high to continue its existence, are pulling the plug and letting it die.

For the most part, I think we will be okay for a while still.
    I thought that maybe the reason that this was suddenly coming down the pipe was that the TOMTOM code base had not yet been updated to 64-bit. But fortunately, the app has been updated. So, it will continue working, unlike the nearly 200 apps on my iPad that are still 32-bit and quickly coming to a burial by Apple. So when iOS 10.4 or iOS 11 comes out it will probably still work.

Recently I did a trip over the border and I've become wary of bringing my iPad with me. So I dug up my old TOMTOM Go (the one with the built in hard drive) charged it up, updated the GPS locations and map shares and left. Even though the map was two years out of date, it still got me to exactly where I wanted to go without any issues. Having a few auto club maps as standbys weren't even needed.

So I don't buy into this thing that you need to have the latest maps all the time and I expect that I can keep my TOMTOM on it's deathbed a little longer and still serve me.

It is a shame though because for me one of the buying points for the devices and apps is that you can use them anonymously and not need to be injected into the IoT, something the new app nor any of these free (but not really free) apps cannot claim.

I'm hoping that resources can be put towards the bastard child app to make it work better and on my iPad. But I'm not holding my breath. They do promise some sort of update about what they plan to do in the next update. Hopefully it is acceptable, but I doubt it.

Just make sure that you do one thing for sure. Make a bunch of backups of this app on your computer (starting with the previous version and all the ones until September, just in case they have already or will inject a suicide code into the app and force it to die on you). One test to see if this is true would be to try and set your device's clock to sometime next year (or three) in the future and see if they force the app into inoperablilty.

Also you should back-up any of the 32-bit apps that you want to keep running on your older devices. (To check to see what is a 32-bit app and soon no longer compatible with your device, go to Settings > General > About > Applications and view the list apps that need to be updated soon.)

Happy driving… for now… I think the life of even us driving ourselves is unfortunately numbered as well.
  • MarkHunteMarkHunte Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I was expecting this as soon as they introduced th go app but hoped they would not he so stupid to jump on the band wagon of subscription base apps with an ap that has been so dumbed down. It's insulting to think that this us wat they think we are only capable of using. It is unlikely that when my free use of the go app is up that I will subscribe to it. Pile of frustrating sh&*.

I have used to
    Tomtom since what 2002 Navigator. But this Go app has to be the worst thing ever. This reminds me of the dodo called Nokia.
  • MarkHunteMarkHunte Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Grr. IPhone fat fingers. Sorry about bad syntax above