Bad strap quality of TomTom Spark — TomTom Community

Bad strap quality of TomTom Spark

spunkajspunkaj Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
I bought a TomTom Spark Cardio+music barely 9 months back from the US. Other than the commonly faced syncing issues with my Android phone, and the painstakingly long satellite connection time, I was shocked too see the strap break last month. I was told by the customer care that the strap warranty is only for a month. Is there anyone else who has faced similar issues?

Pankaj

Comments

• TroyVSCTroyVSC Posts: 34 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I would contact them again. I have had two straps go bad. I feel it is poor design/materials.. Everytime I deal with customer service they are great and have helped me out in getting replacement straps sent.

Another trick I think will help with longevity is not taking the pod out to charge it.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,622
    Superusers
    The strap is covered under the same warranty as the watch. Call Customer Support and they can replace it. To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact, follow the prompts, select the device and click Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • spunkajspunkaj Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks. Am gonna try once more
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,406 Moderator
    Hi spunkaj

Welcome to the community:)

I have sent a heads up to the customer service about this, so someone will be getting in touch with you to arrange for a replacement strap.

Regards
    Vikram
  • spunkajspunkaj Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks a ton Vikram. I received an email already.
  • AvtarAvtar Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Hi Team,
    I too faced the same problem and i am using the 3rd strap in little more than 1 year. I purchased this watch from US in Dec 2015. Currently i am in India can you please help out for free replacement as the strap has been used with utmost care, i complained about it to tomtom support but it was of no use.

Thanks,
    Avtar
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,031
    Community Manager
    Avtar wrote:
    Hi Team,
    I too faced the same problem and i am using the 3rd strap in little more than 1 year. I purchased this watch from US in Dec 2015. Currently i am in India can you please help out for free replacement as the strap has been used with utmost care, i complained about it to tomtom support but it was of no use.

Thanks,
    Avtar
    Hi Avtar,
    Please call our support team: 1800 1234 123 (Monday - Friday: 09:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. IST)

Greetings,
    Jürgen
  • MahakiMahaki Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    My watch is 13 months old and I have just had the strap replaced for the sixth time. I was assisted by Jurgen a few months back and he advised me to request the strap for the Golf watch as it was better. That request was made and to my dismay, the same strap arrived, which broke two months later. So I again requested a replacement and was assured that this time the Golf strap would be sent. Alas, I received a strap for a different type of watch. After making another request, I was assured that it would be sorted. Today the same type of strap that has previously broken six times arrived. I purchased this watch to replace the watch I had worn for the previous 19 years, which never had any issues other than replacing the battery every five or so years. Due to the strap breaking frequently, the face is scratched and chipped as it bounced, slid and struck the floor as it liberated itself from my wrist. All I want is my money back, the watch is great, the strap and support less than poor.
  • MahakiMahaki Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    The update to my post is that TomTom support got in touch with me and agreed to refund my purchase.
    However, because I did not want to get another brand and I still believe that the TomTom watches are great, I upgraded to the Adventurer model and the retailer gave me a good deal including a screen protector for the watch.
  • PrentPrent Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I bought a Tomtom Spark in Dec 2016 and the strap has torn. I will try get one under warranty as mentioned above. Does anyone know whether any other ranges straps would also fit this unit? Like the Spark 3 or Runner 3 strap?
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,031
    Community Manager
    Prent wrote:
    I bought a Tomtom Spark in Dec 2016 and the strap has torn. I will try get one under warranty as mentioned above. Does anyone know whether any other ranges straps would also fit this unit? Like the Spark 3 or Runner 3 strap?
    Customer Support will send you a new strap under warranty. Just give them a call: 0800 980670 (Monday - Friday: 10:00 to 18:30)
  • NevilleRowlesNevilleRowles Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have had the same issue as the above, I am now on my second Tomtom watch and have been through four straps in two years. The customer service has been fabulous until this point where now they are refusing to replace and are 'offering' a discount !! The worst aspect was the arrogance with which they dealt with the matter. You will find that you are unable to actually talk to anyone any more and that you have to do it by live chat !! I requested an escalation and eventually spoke to a chap called Karl, who again offered me a discount !! The FACT of the matter is that these straps are faulty and that they should replace them FOC until they manage to get it right and get a reasonable lifespan out of them, I do not consider 6 months to be a reasonable lifespan for a watch !! When I asked to escalate it further and have the CEOs name it turns out (in the sanctimonious response from Karl) that all correspondence addressed to the CEO is routed to Karl so I will not be receiving any other reply than the one he gave me. I went back to the retailer today and they no longer stock the product so that avenue is now closed. Karl insisted that he was offering me a gesture of goodwill with £10 off, sorry but I do not think so. As I pointed out to him, the strap (which he referred to as an accessory) is fundamentally useless without a strap, the strap fails every six months, therefore the product is unfit for the purpose for which it was designed. He said he wanted to 'keep me as a customer of TomTom' !! Laughable. If the watch failed after 2 years of ownership and daily use then I accept I have had good use of the product, however the strap fails every 180 days therefore technically making the product unusable and that , just from reading this forum alone clearly makes the product unfit for the purpose for which it was designed. I for one will be ensuring that I share this shocking response from Tomtom and will make sure that I never ever purchase any of their products ever again. It also turns out on confession from Karl that they (TomTom) had their 'fingers burned' in the watch market and no longer offer the product !! Disapointed of Milton Keynes , soon to be a Garmin convert