Will we ever get TomTom on Apple car play? - Page 2 — TomTom Community

Will we ever get TomTom on Apple car play?

Comments

• Alster53Alster53 Posts: 24 [Master Explorer]
    Just googled it and as far as i can see sygic don’t work with CarPlay. As i said before it seems to be apple where the problem is.....
  • gerdy001gerdy001 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am a little bit diffused now. I have a new Ford S-Max and I saw, that Sygic works very fine.

Now I`ve googled and right now I don't find anything ???
  • IGIIGI Posts: 141 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Maybe your car can do Sygic AND CarPlay. So you think that this Sygic runs on CarPlay when it really runs on your car dashboard OS : )
  • FiestaRedFiestaRed Posts: 7 [Master Traveler]
    Does anyone know if I can use the TomTom Go Mobile app with Apple Car Play?

I downloaded the app and plugged my iPhone into the car's USB socket to get Apple Car Play on the car's screen but I can't see the TomTom app at all, only the app for Apple Maps.
  • Nick72Nick72 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I can only concur - I will cancel my subscription unless I can use TomTom on Carplay- nothing more to be said.
    TomTom please do what you need
  • bornemannbornemann Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    TomTom this is getting very close to last call. If we can`t use the TomTom Go App on our in-dash screen via CarPlay your App will die. It is no good having the best navigation (and you do by far) if we can`t really use it in our cars.

I hate using Apple Maps in my car, knowing I have the far better TomTom Go on my phone ???
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 316 [Supreme Pioneer]
    leahk wrote:
    As more and more cars are getting CarPlay, I would suggest that the developers are wasting their time on TomTom go if CarPlay integration is not at the top of their list.
    TomTom iOS GO Mobile is 2 years old in the next week or so. Whilst I disagree that Apple CarPlay integration should be the top of the list, it should be developed by TomTom.

The fact that TomTom iOS GO Mobile is 2 years old and doesn't come close to what loyal customers want and have come to expect from TomTom is quite frankly disgusting and very disappointing.

At the moment I have no vehicles that have ICE that can utilise Apple CarPlay but I will probably in the future. So yes, Apple CarPlay integration is necessary but everything needs fixing!

The main thing is that after 2 years TomTom needs to make a public decision about the future of TomTom iOS GO Mobile, i.e. should it be killed off and TomTom leaves the SatNav market, should TomTom iOS GO Mobile be replaced by another app, or whether TomTom iOS GO Mobile has resources (time, money, iOS developers, etc) thrown at it by TomTom to get it to a state where it's worthy to carry the TomTom name and be a product that iOS users are actually happy with!

Regards,
  • METomTomMETomTom Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Stopped using mine, i now use google maps why pay for tomtom when i can use google maps for free on a much larger screen via carplay. Will not pay for anything if it cant be used via carplay!!
  • leahkleahk Posts: 13 [Master Traveler]
    As I continue to be offered stupid routes and no waypoints by Apple Maps. And as I continue to have to start journeys with no navigation, because I have no mobile data signal at the start location. I came back here in the hope of some progress.

Alas, no change it seems.
  • A900ssA900ss Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    Well, could it happen?

Apple have just just announced that third party navigation apps will come in iOS 12. The photo showed Waze and Google Maps but once they open this up to third party apps, Tom Tom need to pull their finger out And get with the program.
  • MattA8MattA8 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    To be honest this isn’t TomTom’s issue ... Apple CarPlay cannot be used with anything other than Apple maps for navigation.

However, Apple have announced today (4th June) that they're opening CarPlay up to navigation apps. So hopefully we’ll see something once iOS 12 is launched!
  • leahkleahk Posts: 13 [Master Traveler]
    It can’t come too soon. I am fed up having to start journeys with no navigation because I can’t get a mobile signal. And not having waypoints on Apple maps, And worst still with Apple maps, they tell you the next direction straight after the last one, even though in might be 10s of miles away. Then they don’t give the direction again until far too late.
  • sokarbarsokarbar Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    So, great news! At last CarPlay is open to 3rd party navigation apps!

The ball is on your roof TomTom
  • NickDeKruijk.nlNickDeKruijk.nl Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    MattA8 wrote:
    To be honest this isn’t TomTom’s issue ... Apple CarPlay cannot be used with anything other than Apple maps for navigation.

However, Apple have announced today (4th June) that they're opening CarPlay up to navigation apps. So hopefully we’ll see something once iOS 12 is launched!
    Finally! Hope Tomtom will have an update ready once ios 12 launches. I'm a developer myself, with carplay, so if tomtom needs beta testers I'll be happy to help out!
  • NickDeKruijk.nlNickDeKruijk.nl Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    I'm sure tomtom devs are downloading iOS 12 beta right now and share our enthusiasm and have a CarPlay update ready when iOS 12 launches! Or well, I hope so :wink:
    Since I'm a developer myself with a CarPlay enabled car I'll be happy to become a beta tester if needed.
  • aklausingaklausing Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    If we consider the announcements from Apple yesterday regarding CarPlay support for third party navigation software ... how long will we need to wait for the first TomTom beta that supports CarPlay? And will there be a public beta test where one can participate?

Cheers
  • BazCBazC Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Hi,

I’ve been using TomTom products for at least 15 years and have owned dozens of SatNavs, phone cradles ..etc..
    I’m now a subscriber to TomTom Go, but this is where the relationship will end unless TomTom get themselves to the front of the technology line.

I have never understood why it takes TomTom soooo long to do anything. Think back to the original app vs Go debacle. TomTom, you are a world leader in SatNav technology, but seem to follow everyone else around like a puppy.

A couple of points:
    1. CarPlay is now available to third parties
    2. TomTom supply (at least) the data to Apple Maps, and possibly the app itself?
    3. Is the commercial relationship between Apple and TomTom the limiting factor for TomTom not looking after their own loyal customer?
    Goodbye TomTom - hello just about anything else

Barry
  • RofishRofish Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    BazC wrote:
    Hi,

I’ve been using TomTom products for at least 15 years and have owned dozens of SatNavs, phone cradles ..etc..
    I’m now a subscriber to TomTom Go, but this is where the relationship will end unless TomTom get themselves to the front of the technology line.

I have never understood why it takes TomTom soooo long to do anything. Think back to the original app vs Go debacle. TomTom, you are a world leader in SatNav technology, but seem to follow everyone else around like a puppy.

A couple of points:
    1. CarPlay is now available to third parties
    2. TomTom supply (at least) the data to Apple Maps, and possibly the app itself?
    3. Is the commercial relationship between Apple and TomTom the limiting factor for TomTom not looking after their own loyal customer?
    Goodbye TomTom - hello just about anything else

Barry
    Echo this Barry. I'm a many years loyal customer of TomTom. While I think that TomTom still creates far superior navigation systems, I'm also getting tired by the slow pace of making new and innovative features available.

I really love to see the availability of TomTom under CarPlay and I'm pretty disappointed that TomTom did not embrace this opportunity quickly. Especially because of their "special" relation with Apple. Alternative navigation apps like Waze, Google and even Flitsmeister (a popular local Dutch application) have committed support to CarPlay directly. But no TomTom...:-(

If TomTom is not going to support CarPlay I most probably stop being a customer....
  • KimRosKimRos Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I’m on iOS 12 beta now and ready to test TomTom for CarPlay as soon as it will be available ???
  • mjf5mjf5 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Well this is TomToms last chance, if we don't get carplay soon I will not renew, not going to pay for something I cannot use.

any news on this?
  • mjf5mjf5 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi,

this is is oldest news now! Apple have opened up CarPlay to 3rd party apps, TomTom now need to get on CarPlay before they lose even more customers
  • IGIIGI Posts: 141 [Outstanding Explorer]
    EthoZ wrote:

I don't even have to read it because I already know it's NOT VALID anymore.

Rules have changed.

The Fourth of June was the day of the announcement that Navigation apps will arrive with iOS 12 in September.

They already presented Google Maps and Waze on stage.
  • LatentexistenceLatentexistence Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just ordered a car with CarPlay. I really want some reassurance that I’ll be able to use TomTom on it.
  • DaveBerryDaveBerry Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I’ve also ordered a new car with CarPlay. I would love to use tomtom with it. By far the best sat nav I’ve used and if it integrates well into the car I will be a happy man.
  • Tomas MatosTomas Matos Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I’m only going to renew TomTom’s service if CarPlay will be possible. Anyway I notice that TomToms enhancements have been almost zero in the last year, while the competitors have been working much harder
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online35

burzeli
burzeli
daveamos
daveamos
DougLap
DougLap
Fazer-Thom
Fazer-Thom
Gitrian2
Gitrian2