Move maps from one device to another? — TomTom Community

Move maps from one device to another?

DougBrooksDougBrooks Posts: 22 [Master Explorer]
So the question is i bought TOMTOM android and it works pretty well , i have the western europe maps installed. I have over the weekend installed an android double din stereo so i would like to install it onto that (android 6.1) while the app installs ok the map download of 5+gig keeps failing over wifi (can pick up my wifi from outside the house) . So i would like to copy the maps folder from my phone and drop them into the cars folder , is this possible to do ? has anyone done it?

Comments

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,860
    Superuser
    @DougBrooks

Sorry but maps are linked to a specific device / app and are not transferable

But confirm the status of your subscription(s) with Customer Services

CS United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • DougBrooksDougBrooks Posts: 22 [Master Explorer]
    well that is ridiculous and just plain badly thought out.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Doug,

Welcome to the Community!

Maps for the GO Mobile app are free. However, we don't support transferring them manually.

I'm afraid you're issue is rather a compatibility related one. We've tested the GO Mobile app only with smartphones and tablets. Therefore we, unfortunately, can't guarantee that it'll work on your Android stereo.

Cheers, Mikko
  • DougBrooksDougBrooks Posts: 22 [Master Explorer]
    It is an android stereo with the same android 6 version you find on tablets and phones with little done to it apart from a skin. Tom tom installs fine it is just the slow download over wifi that is the issue. I could have it connect to my smartphone but my data cap is 2gig, so i say again it is badly thought out, others have had issues when abroad and they have had to re install but data caps and the cost of roaming charges means that to redownload the maps would be extortionate . Surely there could a different way of licence checking your purchase by doing it via the play store, after all there is a record on there as to when you buy it, surely it could flag weather you have renewed it ?
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Doug,

I understand your disappointment. Unfortunately, GO Mobile is not designed to be used in in-built devices and therefore we can't offer a solution to you.

You could try finding a place were the Wi-Fi® signal is stronger and the network faster. I'm afraid that's all I can suggest.

Maps are indeed big and we don't recommend downloading them with mobile data connections. Map licences have nothing to do with this as they are free for GO Mobile. The licence you purchase is for unlimited use of the app with all it's features. The maps are available also without this licence, using the free kilometres.

Cheers, Mikko