Waypoints and Destinations on Rider 400 — TomTom Community

Waypoints and Destinations on Rider 400

marcop1952marcop1952 Posts: 43 [Master Explorer]
edited January 30 in RIDER
Have I got this right? I have planned a route with some destinations along the route. I also have waypoints to keep me on track. My questions is, do the waypoints and destinations only show up as blue flags on the Rider 400, and is it possible to change this.

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Marco,

Waypoints show as flags and destinations as finish signs. As EthoZ points out, current on Rider 400 waypoints are announced as destinations.

You can also re-order your waypoints [user manual]. For more complicated route planning you might find the MyDrive online route planner helpful. With MyDrive you can plan routes on your computer and sync to your Rider 400. For more information and troubleshooting tips for MyDrive, please see this FAQ.

Please, post back here if you have further questions :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • marcop1952marcop1952 Posts: 43 [Master Explorer]
    I understand that in the Rider 400, waypoints are announced as destinations. If I am travelling from point A to point F, Point F will show as a "Finish" flag, but if I put another destination at Point D, will point D show as a "Finish" flag also? I have put Route from a previous trip into the Rider. The trip includes many intermediate destinations, but they all show up as blue flags. Am I doing something wrong?
  • BliejeBlieje Posts: 90 [Master Explorer]
    Nope.
    This is NOT how I want it to be, but it is. All waypoints are "destination". On the older Riders you could select between destination and waypoint. I don't have the exact wording, in Dutch it is tussenstop...

I would suggest to use the "track" instead of ITN routes.
    This is more flexible. You are allowed to miss waypoints. You can start your trip on any point along the track. The screen isn't filled ip with waypoints when you load the track. And more...
  • 954dk954dk Posts: 292 [Master Traveler]
    May I correct you? :)

On the older Rider there were "Waypoints", "Intermediate Destinations" (Selectable) and "Final Destination/End Point/Finish".

This is, what we want again!
    Exactly, this is what is required. At the moment, there is no way of distinguishing between the different waypoints.
    Hi MikkoK, When can the Rider 400/410 owners expect a resolution to the problem of the Rider not showing destinations, other than the final destination? Surly, this should be something fairly easy to fix. I look forward to your reply and the solution.
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    And named labels...
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 286 [Exalted Navigator]
    Blieje wrote:
    Nope.
    This is NOT how I want it to be, but it is. All waypoints are "destination". On the older Riders you could select between destination and waypoint. I don't have the exact wording, in Dutch it is tussenstop...

I would suggest to use the "track" instead of ITN routes.
    This is more flexible. You are allowed to miss waypoints. You can start your trip on any point along the track. The screen isn't filled ip with waypoints when you load the track. And more...

The best part of the device, is if you make a route, not an itn, so you can not have to hit exact points.
    Try making a route, with a destination, say a lunch stop, then more route. The destination will not show up.
    It has been this way for aver a yeay. The itn, going turn by turn making points that you have to hit, there is no quick easy way to skip one,
    Its a huge step back from the rider 5 or previous ones.
    Heck, for routes there is no way to organize or search routes, no folder organization. Its a mess.
    marcop1952 wrote:
    Hi MikkoK, When can the Rider 400/410 owners expect a resolution to the problem of the Rider not showing destinations, other than the final destination? Surly, this should be something fairly easy to fix. I look forward to your reply and the solution.

I would speculate its not going to happen, it has been known for well over a year and no progress has been made.
    You could always split the route, but there is no way to sort or organize routes, so having many turns into a scroll fest trying to select the one you might want. This has also been requested well over a year ago.

I understand how it feels, hoping to get some tweaks and minor features added that were in the previous model, or that make great sense. Unfortunately i have seen very little in the way the device functions to be excited about the future development.
    I hope i am wrong, but i have hoped in 1 hand for a year,.............. Lol, nope the other hand is empty too.
    Joel, you mean tracks.

ITN file format is used to store routes, and GPX file format for tracks. Hopefully, GPX will be supported for routes too...

A route contains only the locations you want to visit (waypoints) in the order you want to visit them and the software calculates the route between them.

A track is a recorded trail described by hundreds of GPS data (trackpoints, longitude & latitude) and it's usually used when we want to see were we've traveled in the past, or we want to follow the same exact route in the future. A track can also generated by software...

Their purpose & functionality is different.

IMHO, currently TT comfuses most of us... It should be clarified what's the best to use according the situation, with a nice guide and some example scenarios...

Personally I only use routes. But there are a lot of missing features to use them without problems & more easily...
    I use gpx, so i dont have to play pac man connecting itn waypoints.
    It would be nice to add a gas stop or lunch stop to a gpx file.

If i make a specific set of roads i want to travel on, i called that a route, so i might have a route sheet. I dont call them track sheet, that may be where the confusion came from.

Most of my desired roads to travel on files consist of a path covering several hundred miles. And yes, i use software to create these. :)
    You can't have stops / waypoints in a track. That's how it is designed, like a recording... That has nothing to do with the file format (GPX, itn, NMEA, etc).

GPX file format is an open standard and may include both of them but TomTom supports only the track section...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_Exchange_Format

But tracks remain tracks & routes, routes... I usually convert tracks to routes using Tyre...
    Garmin users have no problem with a gpx and a lunch stop.
    My rider5 i had to make itn files, and if you missed the way point say by a block it would route you back to the point, till you hit the hand, skipped the point, recalculated, and went to the next way point. With a gpx it just keeps going smoothly and doesnt force you back if you turn a block early.

The 400 uses routes and tracks, both load when a gpx is imported. I have never used an itn with the 400 yet, in over a year
    That's correct & desirable according the logic of a route. A waypoint is a place you want to visit, so it will try to guide you there unless you tell it otherwise... This action must be easy to select it with simplicity...

They could support another type of waypoints, call them "intermediate waypoints", just to guide the GPS to a very specific route you want but that's another discussion...

Rider always treats GPX files as a track. Never as a route.

Also see: http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/rider_400_40/html/en-gb/index.htm#AboutGPXandITNfiles-GOSTARTTRUCKERWINGSITALIA.htm
    Tracks (simple static breadcrumbs) are useless, when planning "dynamic" routes (which may differ) and routes with "must visit" places - such as important gas stations and scenic places.

Joel S.:
    I do not agree with you. I have experienced a lot, that my travel fellows often depend on my good old Urban Rider. They miss the important points and get no warnings.
    It would appear, having contacting TomTom support by e-mail, that the only way of changing this problem, is by feedback.
    Following is part of the email I received.
    "However this process of adding the new feature is slow as it takes time to implement the new feature and make sure that it doesn't affect the working of the device. Also it depends upon the number of feedbacks that we get about a particular feature.
    For e.g when the new Rider 400 was released it was not possible to import third party POIs to this device, but then we received a lots of feedbacks about this feature and hence we implemented it"

So the more people who complain about this feature, then maybe TomTom will sort this problem.
    Well it is noW official, Tomtom WILL NOT be changing there software to solve the problem with the waypoints, internediate stops and destinations. These are two replies from Tomtom "unfortunately our software does not distinguish between waypoints or planned stops along your route, as all of these are meant to be areas that you either drive to/through along your way to your destination. I apologise for any inconvenience caused and I will pass along the feedback to our developers. Cheers, Chelsea at TomTom" When I suggested changing the software, this was the reply "thank you for your feedback and I will pass this along to our developers as a possibility for future software updates. However, this is not currently in the planned updates so it will not be something available in the near future. I do apologise for any inconvenience caused. Is there anything else I can help you with?"
    Thanks for informing us marcop1952 :)

If those facts are for real, then my conclusion is, that both you and I as well as many, many Tomtom Rider 4×× owners have been very naive, when believing in the forum community's comments.
    Sorry guys. My intention is not to offend you.

From my side on, I will NOT give Tomtom any feed back, nor any suggestions on improving a VERY poor designed product.
    I solely see the team, as I see the contrymen with a Cadac in wet weather struggeling with a poor designed, malfunctioning tent :D
    These comments are real, as posted to me on Messenger by Chelsea from Tomtom
    Ibviously an organization struggeling with a huge lack of communication and ethical guide lines... :?