Some Problems with Rider 410 — TomTom Community

Some Problems with Rider 410

OgdenOgden Posts: 24 [Master Explorer]
edited December 2018 in RIDER
Hello all, I am a former owner of a TomTom Rider V2, it had some glitches, but was basically ok. Because I use a Mac, I couldn't use the online mapping, I found the may drive online map was good at finding routes, but I was having to transfer them manually, using itinerary planning, which worked ok, but could be laborious. So I went and sold my old tom-tom and got this new one. I upgraded to the 410 for the better modern touchscreen and lifetime maps

I went out 2 days ago using a route from my drive and things went rather badly, I chose to ignore the route for the first 10miles or so, as I just set off knowing my fav way to the motorway, the rider simply went to recalculate the route and jammed up at 5%, so I ignored it, then it started suggesting ludicrous alternatives out to the blue. One route was a dirt track, a farmer had erected a sign which read "No access for GPS" So clearly I wasn't the only one!

In the end, I ignored the suggestions and continued until I figured the rider must by now know I'm back on track (Apparently not) so I had to re-select my route and finally Rider recognised what I was doing, By this time, with all the false starts and faffing, I was so irate, I cut my route short and keyed in a new route to go in another direction - this went fairly well. It seems the the MyDrive route GPX file is too inflexible to be useful when not manually transferred in the older way as I had done with the old V2.

Yesterday, I went off on another trip, this time as I was travelling down the A1, I was told mid route to take a minor road off, cross both carriageways and go onto a dirt track, then round an industrial estate, before finally going back onto the A1?? Was that part of the "Thrill?" Perhaps I had neglected to de-select unpaved roads in the preffs, or perhaps I had accidentally clicked one of hose little black crosses in a circle? (I can't seem to find how I did that or repeat it, but all in all, I'm finding the idea of using a different system appealing.

Surely these sort of problems could be resolved by allowing "Int" files to be implemented and exported from MyDrive? Otherwise, it seems we are going to have to use another system. I hope MyRoute app works as well as others have said? I'm going to soldier on for a while, but so far things haven't got off to a good start - close but no cigar!!

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Ogden,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear of your trouble with your new Rider 410! I have a few suggestions for you:
    Ogden wrote:
    I went out 2 days ago using a route from my drive and things went rather badly, I chose to ignore the route for the first 10miles or so, as I just set off knowing my fav way to the motorway, the rider simply went to recalculate the route and jammed up at 5%, so I ignored it, then it started suggesting ludicrous alternatives out to the blue. One route was a dirt track, a farmer had erected a sign which read "No access for GPS" So clearly I wasn't the only one!

In the end, I ignored the suggestions and continued until I figured the rider must by now know I'm back on track (Apparently not) so I had to re-select my route and finally Rider recognised what I was doing, By this time, with all the false starts and faffing, I was so irate, I cut my route short and keyed in a new route to go in another direction - this went fairly well. It seems the the MyDrive route GPX file is too inflexible to be useful when not manually transferred in the older way as I had done with the old V2.
    It sounds like the device had hard time finding alternative routes for you as you deviated from the original one. Please note, that you can also search for alternative routes from the Current route menu [user manual]. Alternatively, if you know your way, you might rather clear the route from the same menu and re-plan ones you need directions again.

The road with the sign was likely a private road and you could help us improve our maps by reporting it directly to our map team with the MapShare Reporter.

You can indeed currently import only GPX tracks with MyDrive. ITN routes can be imported from your computer. For more information, please see here [user manual] and for more information and troubleshooting tips for MyDrive, please see this FAQ.
    Ogden wrote:
    Yesterday, I went off on another trip, this time as I was travelling down the A1, I was told mid route to take a minor road off, cross both carriageways and go onto a dirt track, then round an industrial estate, before finally going back onto the A1?? Was that part of the "Thrill?" Perhaps I had neglected to de-select unpaved roads in the preffs, or perhaps I had accidentally clicked one of hose little black crosses in a circle? (I can't seem to find how I did that or repeat it, but all in all, I'm finding the idea of using a different system appealing.
    We'd need some more information to look into this. The following information would help:
    • Route planning settings used (type/avoid):
    • Start point of a route where this was observed:
    • End Point of the same route:
    • Time (date/time) when you drove the route:

Cheers, Mikko
  • OgdenOgden Posts: 24 [Master Explorer]
    Hi Mikkok,

I just reported a couple of map errors I found that day probably need looking at :)

"We'd need some more information to look into this. The following information would help:
    Route planning settings used (type/avoid):
    Start point of a route where this was observed:
    End Point of the same route:
    Time (date/time) when you drove the route:"

This event was yesterday 16/3/17, around 1:30pm, route settings were fastest, tho I hadn't checked "Avoid unpaved roads" under Settings / Route Planning.

My plan was go wiz down the A1, then exit somewhere near the B660, for a fun end to my journey to Bedford. When the GPS told me to exit the A1 about 5 or 10 miles earlier than expected, I thought Oh, the clever things knows a better route.

If you find Water Newton on the A1 near Peterborough, there is a road called Elton Road, which it the one I was directed onto. It was pretty much a farm track, on reaching the end of it, I expected to find myself on the B660, but after a tour of an industrial estate I opted to follow the flow of traffic out of the suburbs of Peterborough back towards the A1, where I rejoined it at the Flatten Park junction with the A605 I should think.

After that detour, I continued on the A1, the Rider seemed to be back on track by this time and soon after directed me onto the B660 as required and without further problems.

I have just been to the site of the "incident" on MyDrive, and plotted a route for the A1 to the B660, placing a point right in the middle of Elton Lane, and it looks to me like Rider had indeed found a viable route to join the B660 - I just hadn't expected to "off-road" on the way!

If you check out Elton Lane on google earth, the camera car hasn't been down there, it is marked as a viable route, but perhaps just not for everyone.

BTW - I still have the route saved on the Rider, it exits the A1 at the more reasonable junction of the actual B660 "Glatton Ways" Oh well, life an adventure!
    I guess I was just a bit confused, having crossed both carriageways of the busy A1, gone down a farm track, losing faith somewhat - then looking to get back o the A1, if I had followed the advice I would have avoided the industrial estate - I was just confused, cos when I set off, having checked the route, it hadn't included any of that!

Here you can see a clip of where the unusual unexpected route went (IMO) awry! ;)
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,972 Superusers
    Hi
    @ Ogden
    You can use Tyre to Travel or the latest MyRoute App to create a .ITN Route
    The Rider 400 will give you direct access to a small buffer/transfer area of the Rider 400 Main Memory... You can also access your Micro SD Card, you can drag & drop your .ITN or .GPX route files directly to and from the Rider 400 Memory buffer/transfer area or the Micro SD Memory card over a secure system: See…..
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/rider-51/rider-400-tyre-pro-cant-find-the-device-1005439?postid=1096746

To transfer .ITN or .GPX route files to your NAV4 device using a Micro SD Memory Card: See.....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/mydrive-ability-to-add-waypoints-1007398?postid=1103601

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    I always use tyre to travel as I find it more reliable and user friendly but perhaps a little slower that my drive because of the double confirmation at any way points.
    The only draw back is that way points are announced as destinations (:@TomTom are fully aware of this problem) which is very off putting and dangerous in my opinion as all of a sudden in a middle to fast following traffic you are looking for a stop place. But I suppose nothing will be done about it until someone is seriously injured or killed. As it never happen on the Rider 2 I really cannot understand why it does it on this new 400/410.
    I really want the MyDrive to work for me now, since the imported ITN files seem less than flawless.

Why I had to opt out of unpaved roads, rather than opt in seems a bit weird, but then since tom-tom is sold right around the world, perhaps that explains it.

I'm going to use tracks and MyDrive next time I go out, hopefully it'll work better - I also had "avoid Motorways" checked, (that first ride that went awry) which is probably why it couldn't find another route - so I guess in many ways, my problems were my own doing :P
  • tugmantugman Posts: 337 [Revered Navigator]
    This new system does take a bit of getting use too
    Yeah, the old one did too when I first got it, took me months to figure out - I think this should be better when I get on top of it :cool: