Runner 3 is not charging continuously?

danlih
danlih Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
After workout, I connect my Runner 3 watch to my PC. The watch is syncing and then starts charging.
Next morning my "TomTom Sport Connect" shows that the watch is fully charged, but when I detach the watch from the PC and goes in to the menu “About”, I can see that the watch isn’t fully charged. If I reconnect the watch to the PC "TomTom Sport Connect" shows that the watch isn’t fully charged and starts charging. Is this per design? I want my watch fully charged when I detach it from my PC.
Kind regards Daniel

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,935
    Superuser
    It might be a firmware issue, so I would try a factory reset and see if that helps. It also could be the dock is bad. Check that none of the pins are bent or deformed and are not making good contact. If it is none of these things I would suggest calling Customer Support and seeing what they can do. They are able to more deeply investigate and diagnose problems than we can here on the user forum. To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact, enter the product name and click Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • only1weasel
    only1weasel Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi,

I've got the same problem, I've done the factory reset and its not helped. The watch will connect, sync and start charging after a run, but after a solid day of being connected it will be flat when I get back to it. The computer will have been on the whole time. I've only had it since Christmas :-(

The fact that this seems to have happened to a few people make me think its a recurring issue?

Piers
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,935
    Superuser
    It is 2 people out of million + units sold, so I would not characterize it recurring. Call Customer Support and they can figure out if it is a hardware defect and replace as necessary.
  • spongy bob
    spongy bob Registered Users Posts: 12
    Legendary Explorer
    Same problem here, which started occurring recently (1-2 months ago?).
    I've done a factory reset. Firmware 1.3.255.
  • spongy bob
    spongy bob Registered Users Posts: 12
    Legendary Explorer
    Actually I'm not sure if the issue started happening recently on my side, or if I was just always connecting to a computer previously and not on a USB charger.
  • mazevedo
    mazevedo Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    Same thing is happening to me :(
  • EVA_27
    EVA_27 Registered Users Posts: 34
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    Not sure if this could help, but on my laptop at work, my Runner 2 will stop charging when the laptop goes into sleep mode. It will start charging again when the laptop is reactivated. I don't have this issue with my macbook at home. So I can't charge my watch overnight on my work laptop (unless staying awake all night to keep it from going into sleep mode ;-) ), but I can on my macbook.
  • mazevedo
    Neophyte Traveler
    Hi Eva, I've noticed that also. But my issue is a bit different, if I leave it charging over night, it doesn't get to full and stops charging.. at some point it actually starts draining the battery and when I undock it, it essentially has no battery :( I tried factory resetting and still nothing solved. This is really frustrating because it didn't use to be the case in the beginning.
  • EVA_27
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    In that case it seems to me that the first question is wether it is the watch losing charge or the computer sucking it out?
  • mazevedo
    Neophyte Traveler
    I am also running firmware 1.3.255, it actually happens despite being attached to a USB plugged into an outlet also. Just seems like once fully charged the watch goes on a mode where it no longer charges or holds the charge and starts using up the battery power.
  • EVA_27
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    In that case, I would contact support. Mine is also on 1.3.255 and I have no issue at all.
  • Giacomo Ardesi
    Giacomo Ardesi Registered Users Posts: 12
    Legendary Explorer
    I noticed this issue on my Runner 3 too. Firmware 1.3.255.
  • tjones
    tjones Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    I have the same issue - when I plug the watch in at night to charge, once it is full, it is like the charging stops. This means when I get it in the morning to go for a run, the battery is already drained. Why doesn't it keep charging continuously? It has had this problem for months.