Rider 40 does nothing when I plug into USB — TomTom Community

Rider 40 does nothing when I plug into USB

dpalexrdpalexr Posts: 5 [Novice Seeker]
edited January 26 in RIDER
Bought my Tomtom last year and updated the maps a few times but now nothing happens when I plug it in. I have tried everything I can think of, I've read everything I can find on here and on the web but still no joy. I've contacted Customer service but get no reply.
I have a Start 25 that works fine when updating. When I plug in the 25 it appears in the network devices but the rider 40 does not show anywhere . I have tried different computers and lots of different cables. Does anyone know whats wrong ?

Comments

• lampardlampard Posts: 4,077 TomTom Moderator
    Hi dpalexr,

Welcome to the Community!

I can see that one of the support representatives sent you the steps to validate if your Rider 40 device is recognised on the computer and now the device is stuck on the BIOS screen (black screen with white text) as you replied.

Please wait for the response from Support, they'll let you know what's actually causing this and followed by the next course of action.

cheers,
    lampard
    Help others find useful content by clicking the like button and selecting the best answer to your question! You can check out our Knowledge Base and find the best comments on the Community here.
    Most important of all, have fun and be kind to one another!

• dpalexrdpalexr Posts: 5 [Novice Seeker]
    I kept pressing the button and held the button a few times but nothing happened . Left it overnight and it's gone back to normal but still not recognised by a pc.
  • OgdenOgden Posts: 24 [Master Explorer]
    I had this problem, make sure you are using the original USB cable that came with the device - it won't work with others! :cool:
    I was using the cable that came with the Rider 40 and have tried the cable that came with the Start 25 ( same part number on label)
    Nothing worked.
    One thing I did notice , all the non TomTom USB cables I have all work on the Start 25.
    I have been told I have to return the device to have it repaired so just waiting to hear back from customer service.
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 286 [Exalted Navigator]
    If the USB cable is plugged in, look in the menu, it will show if the rider is charging, it should be.
    Could you try a different USB port on the computer? Does the rider respond about importing routes when plugged in?

Just kicking ideas, hope 1 might help.
    My Rider 40 charges OK.
    I have a laptop with Windows 10 and tried all the USB ports.
    I tried it in my desktop running Windows 7 and even got an old computer out of the loft that runs XP.
    Can't import routes to a device that pc doesn't know is plugged in.
    Got ya, shows charging from the USB from the computer.
    Last thought, since it seems so many ports and computers. Have you restarted, like drumroll, or power off restart?? (sorry if you tried these already)
    I have reset the device a few times. Plugged in and not plugged in. Did nothing.
    The last time I did it the device got stuck on the bios screen .
    That doesn't sound good, sorry I couldn't be more helpful.