Playlists and Sports Connect — TomTom Community

Playlists and Sports Connect

samfugillsamfugill Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
Looks like a lot of people have this problem. Running Windows 10. tomtom connect installed (latest version, as have reinstalled just to be sure). All other issues working fine such as charging watch, syncing via the mobile to strava etc. - all good. However, I cannot get it to sync to playlists generated by windows media player. I'm ensuring they are m3u format and that it is searching in the root folder. I have checked they are in the root folder can play them in media player from there, and it works fine, but tomtom connect will not find them and so I cannot upload them to my watch.

PLEASE do not post the same reply you post to all of the similar comments. I've tried all your suggestions. They're not working. And I'm about to return my watch for a refund. :(

Look forward to hearing from you.

Comments

• jackie20002jackie20002 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi

I have exactly the same problem, cannot put music onto my watch from my PC, it can't find the playlists!! I have tried everything. Tomtom are dealing with it at moment although I am still waiting for their solution. Amazon sent me a replacement when I explained the situation but the watch itself seems fine. So annoying!!!
  • samfugillsamfugill Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi jackie20002 - I've found a way that sorts it for me. The tracks I'd been burning had been saving as .WMA files rather than MP3 as this is a more efficient space saving approach on the hard drive. Try this: rip a CD onto windows media player, but set it to rip it as mp3 rather than WMA. Then make those tracks a playlist. Then do your stuff with tomtom. It should find them. If I am right anyway... Good luck and let me know how you get on.
  • Stuart McDonaldStuart McDonald Posts: 759 [Exalted Navigator]
    samfugill wrote:
    Looks like a lot of people have this problem. Running Windows 10. tomtom connect installed (latest version, as have reinstalled just to be sure). All other issues working fine such as charging watch, syncing via the mobile to strava etc. - all good. However, I cannot get it to sync to playlists generated by windows media player. I'm ensuring they are m3u format and that it is searching in the root folder. I have checked they are in the root folder can play them in media player from there, and it works fine, but tomtom connect will not find them and so I cannot upload them to my watch.

PLEASE do not post the same reply you post to all of the similar comments. I've tried all your suggestions. They're not working. And I'm about to return my watch for a refund. :(

Look forward to hearing from you.
    Hi. I sent you a PM to gather more information, however you only need to use M3U files and the root music folder if you are not using Windows Media Player or iTunes. See this post for some more information.
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mysports-connectappswebsite-389/adding-music-to-my-adventurer-watch-1020008?postid=1153648
    Regards,
    Stuart.
  • jackie20002jackie20002 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi!

After months and months and hours and hours I have finally managed to get some music on my watch! You are a superstar!!
    So a simple thing as changing the format to MP3 works!

Thank you so much for helping me out - really appreciate it!!!!
    Jackie
  • jamie109jamie109 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    After reading several people having problems with one of the most used Windows programs I have to wonder why the hell do you not have a fix or patch for this? I just bought the watch and am about to return it to Amazon. The music is the only thing that gave it the edge over garmin and fitbit products. Both have superior gps in my opinion.
  • Stuart McDonaldStuart McDonald Posts: 759 [Exalted Navigator]
    jamie109 wrote:
    After reading several people having problems with one of the most used Windows programs I have to wonder why the hell do you not have a fix or patch for this? I just bought the watch and am about to return it to Amazon. The music is the only thing that gave it the edge over garmin and fitbit products. Both have superior gps in my opinion.
    Hi. If you are having a problem with the music then if you detail it and use the 'Submit App Data' of the Advance section of the the Sports Connect settings page (cog icon, top right) then I will have a look at what is happening.

Note that there are no know problems currently requiring a patch. Any problems you have read have either been fixed, or were caused by other issues e.g. DRM, wrong format music etc.

Some things to note (in case you don't know already)
    1. There are 4 ways to put playlists onto the watch from a Windows machine
    - Using Windows Media Player to create the playlists
    - Using iTunes to create playlists
    - Using some other music manager and exporting the playlists as M3U/M3U8 playlist files and setting the 'Root music folder'
    - Copying a folder of tracks into the 'music folder of the drive which is mounted when you connect the watch and then using the refresh icon on the the music page of Sports Connect to turn it into a playlist of music (playlist will have the same name as the folder
    2. When creating playlists you can not use DRM music e.g. offline Spotify, or Apple Music
    3. If using iTunes then the 'Share XML library with 3rd party applications option must be enabled.
    4. Music must be in MP3 or AAC-LC, HE-AAC format.

Regards,
    Stuart.
  • jamie109jamie109 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    You are right Stuart, I am just to dumb to own this watch.

thanks for your assistance

Jamie
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I have wasted hours on this. I should have known as soon as it mentioned WMP that it wouldn't work. I gave up using that years ago as its terrible.
    As per a link above, easiest way if WMP doesn't work for you is:

1. Create a new folder below the 'Music' folder on the watch
    2. Name the folder whatever you want the playlist to be called
    3. Copy music tracks into that folder
    4. Start Sports Connect, or press the rescan music icon on the Music Page
    5. The folder will then appear as a new playlist on the watch

Its not true that you cannot add or change the playlist after creation. Just alter the files and delete the m3u file and when you connect again, it will produce a new one.
    I haven't tried it, but I guess you can then edit that in text manager to change the play order.

I hope I'll love this watch but the music has taken me so long today that I don't have time now to try it.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,677
    Superusers
    I have wasted hours on this. I should have known as soon as it mentioned WMP that it wouldn't work. I gave up using that years ago as its terrible.
    As per a link above, easiest way if WMP doesn't work for you is:

1. Create a new folder below the 'Music' folder on the watch
    2. Name the folder whatever you want the playlist to be called
    3. Copy music tracks into that folder
    4. Start Sports Connect, or press the rescan music icon on the Music Page
    5. The folder will then appear as a new playlist on the watch

Its not true that you cannot add or change the playlist after creation. Just alter the files and delete the m3u file and when you connect again, it will produce a new one.
    I haven't tried it, but I guess you can then edit that in text manager to change the play order.

I hope I'll love this watch but the music has taken me so long today that I don't have time now to try it.
    Did you just buy the watch? I would take care with your buying decision considering TT has left the wearables market and is not producing any new devices (they are just selling out existing stock), and all development has stopped. If you are able, you may want to consider returning the device and going with another brand from a company that is actively in the sports watch market and intends to continue producing and supporting devices.
    To be honest, I only stumbled on this product when I was searching for a music player I could wear at the gym. Most have very limited functionality with bluetooth headphones. This does the job and I didn't find any alternatives once music is in the equation.
    Given all the extras I now love, such as hr monitor I doubt I'll return it but do you know another product as well specced?
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,677
    Superusers
    To be honest, I only stumbled on this product when I was searching for a music player I could wear at the gym. Most have very limited functionality with bluetooth headphones. This does the job and I didn't find any alternatives once music is in the equation.
    Given all the extras I now love, such as hr monitor I doubt I'll return it but do you know another product as well specced?
    Both Garmin and Suunto now offer watches with music with much better specs, particularly Garmin. You are going to pay more for it, but you get what you pay for in terms of build quality and long term support (TT left the market almost a year ago and ceased all development). That is not going to happen with Garmin.
    Explains how I got such a good deal then :-)
    I had looked at Garmin but far too dear. Never heard of the other.
    There's not much tech you can expect to be supported for long these days so I'd still recommend it.