'Lifetime' maps just 10 years?!??!? — TomTom Community

'Lifetime' maps just 10 years?!??!?

well, title says it all!
We got the Start 25 UK on mid 2013 and registered it with the included code to receive the 'lifetime' map updates,
now I received an email about the new update, plus the info that our 'subscription' will expiry on 2023. so in fact the 'lifetime' means 10 years? I would like an explanation, NOW

Comments

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,871 Moderator
    Hi xmdo

Welcome to the community:)

I think the subscription should auto-renew after 2023.

Hope this helps..

Regards
    Vikram
  • xmdoxmdo Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for this! We chose to buy the TomTom just because that lifetime offer and after we saw the 10yrs subscription on the email we freaked.
  • mypopsmypops Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I find the weekly emails attempting to get me to purchase a new product insulting!
    We have the older unit XXl and now of course we can't update our maps even if we select a smaller travel area. Their choice of when to make the product outdated leaves us feeling like we were ripped off.
    Happened to buy ours at Costco and will be visiting them and seeing about a return.
    It would appear they make enough money participating in commercial products the consumer market is not needed, because why would I buy a new when really my phone with Google maps works fine. My old TomTom works great in areas without cell, primarily on vacation, the few times a year I need it. However, it is not worth buying a new one every couple years.
    Maybe if they had said 6 years worth of maps or something I wouldn't so put off by this product.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,301
    Superusers
    Tomtom has said devices with lifetime maps will continue to receive them. Verify with support but do NOT provide a model when prompted in order for a live agent to respond:

:flag_us: United States
    877-757-7137
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. EST
  • DankeesDankees Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    My device is supposed to have free lifetime updates.

Why is that being stopped?

I bought a device that should get free lifetime updates.

If my device is no longer compatible, it should be replaced for free!
  • cfeuert8cfeuert8 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I bought my Go 720 with a "Lifetime Map Update Guarantee". Now, you will not update it, breaching the contract we entered upon its purchase. Please send me, at no charge to me, a comparable device that will allow TomTom to uphold and honor the original agreement it entered into with me upon my purchase of your company's product with guarantee.

Thank you,

Charles Feuer
    301 Hart Alley
    Newtown, PA 18940-4521
    Yeah, ditto!
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 666
    Superuser
    1. This is a customer-based forum, I think you'd be better off contacting their support line with such requests on 877-757-7137.
    2. Posting personal information such as where you live is generally not advisable on a publicly accessible Internet forum.
    3. As a heads-up, you may struggle with getting a free device sent to you. TomTom's definition of 'lifetime' in their T&Cs probably varies from what you understand it to be.... "Lifetime is the useful life of the device, which means the period of time that TomTom continues to support your device with software updates, services, content or accessories." (link).
    Who has had experience with this?

What can we realistically expect and ask for?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,051
    Superusers
    Hi

@Dankees
    @cfeuert8
    [h2]
    [/h2][h2]Devices with lifetime maps are not affected[/h2]
    Tomtom have already stated that Lifetime Maps and any Existing Map Subscriptions will be honoured

See VikramK Post (TomTom Staff) Here....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/news-and-announcements-37/end-of-life-device-with-lifetime-maps-1032484/index1.html#post1207861

If you have Lifetime Maps or an existing Map Subscriptions
    Call Tomtom Support...
    :flag_us: United States
    877-757-7137
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. EST

When calling....
    Tomtom are monitoring Eol support by an Auto Response System
    When prompted DO NOT provide your Tomtom model information, wait for a live agent to respond

ATB YFM