Avoiding toll vs vignette roads

Mirel
Mirel Registered Users Posts: 65
Master Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Hi MikkoK,

I have a (new) question related to route planning :) maybe the topic is already discussed but I can't find it, so:
If I want (but actually do not go on it, and not something like just nice to have) to avoid the Toll roads but still be able to go on the free segments of the highways how can I make the necessary setting ?

Thank you

Comments

• MikkoK
    MikkoK Retired TomTom Employee Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Mirel,

The Avoid toll roads feature blocks certain road segments marked in our maps as toll roads from routing. If there are free segments, and access to them, you should be routed to them - if they fit the other route planning settings.

Should you find this not happening, you can report a map correction directly to our map team with the MapShare Reporter or post the details to the Map Quality board.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Mirel
    Master Traveler
    Thank you !

This is very helpful but still a question is in the air: How can I make the difference between toll roads and the highways where you pay per day/ week (10 days) or month (highways with vignette) ?

When you travel across many borders you need to have a route something like:
    Free Highway = On
    Highway (highways with vignette) = On
    Toll roads = No

If only Toll roads is available (and this is true), this will disable route calculation also from the highways with vignette :(
  • MikkoK
    MikkoK Retired TomTom Employee Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Mirel,

I'm afraid we don't currently have a solution for this. I'll log this as an improvement request for the product team.

What you could do is to report some of these vignette roads with the MapShare Reporter to our map team. An eventual feature to distinguish between these payed roads would require this information to be on our maps.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Mirel
    Master Traveler
    Hi MikkoK,
    Thank you !
    Pffff.... I do not think that I can, or have something to report on Map Share Reporter, this is because the Toll roads or the Highways with vignette pay option are all Highways, the only differences is related to the pay option and country.

For example:
    - In Romania the Highways are with vignette (all of them)
    - In Österreich (Austria) the Highways are with vignette (all of them)
    - In Deutschland (Germany) the Highways are free (all of them)
    - In France the Highways are Toll roads (almost all of them), no pay with vignette option. So, Toll control or free.
    - Italy the Highways are Toll roads (almost all of them), no pay with vignette option. So, Toll control or free.

So, an option will be needed to make this difference for when we need to travel across this country's.

Extended info:
    1. Toll roads: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toll_road
    2. Vignette roads: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignette_(road_tax)
  • MikkoK
    Hi Mirel,

Thanks for the elaboration!

The Avoid toll roads feature currently avoids all roads you need to pay for. If you have a concrete example of route on which the current implementation is wanting, please post it here so that I can take it up as an example with the product team.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Mirel
    Master Traveler
    Hi MikkoK,
    Thank you !

The route is the following one:
    https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/#mode=routes+viewport=45.25942,13.60107,6+search={"input":"Sâmbăteni, Păuliș","coords":[46.14071,21.52536]}+routes={"departure":true,"traffic":true,"routeType":"FASTEST","travelMode":"CAR","points":["hw~44.42731,26.09261","hw~48.26744,7.71675","hw~41.0917,1.15414"]}+ver=2

Romania - Highways with vignette = On
    Hungary - Highways with vignette = On
    Österreich - Highways with vignette = On
    Deutschland - Free Highways or Highways = On
    France - Free Highways or Highways = On; Toll roads = No
    Spain - Free Highways or Highways = On; Toll roads = No

Now is not possible to set this route from the beginning because if you set: Avoid Toll roads ... no Highway will be used except the one from Deutschland.

Basically a way to make a difference between the Highways where you pay per road section (per Km) and the one where you can pay per day/ week or year (without Km limit) is needed.

This normally should be something basic and default and not something that you need to develop for the future... but if you don't have the need to travel across many borders this is not needed.
  • MikkoK
    Thanks, Mirel!

I'll make a note of these to take up with the product team at first opportunity.

Cheers, Mikko