TomTom mydrive app installation

MirelMirel Posts: 62 [Prominent Wayfarer]
edited January 26 in MyDrive and Road Trips
When I tried to install the TomTom mydrive app on my phone I encounter the following problem: In Google market the application was not available for "my region", I am from Romania. Why is that ? I do not know...

But there is a fix for it, in case somebody else find himself also in this situation:

1. Connect to Google market when you are out (physically) of the "unavailable" region and then download the application. After that everything works perfectly wherever you are on the map.

2. If first not possible, connect to Google market through a proxy server and then download the application. After that everything works perfectly wherever you are on the map.

Hope this to be helpful for someone :)

Comments

• tugmantugman Posts: 324 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    We in the west do not away appreciate how lucky we are. But it is a tip worth remembering
  • MirelMirel Posts: 62 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Hello again :( with this topic,

A few days ago I made and ”update” from Android to IOS, and I found myself with the same issue:

When I tried to install the TomTom mydrive app on my phone I encounter again the same problem: In the App Store the application is not available for "my region", I am from Romania... and the above solution is not working this time (it's only for android).

What can I do ?
    I would like to ask the staff members to answer to this topic because I pay exactly the same as anybody else for this services and some of them are deliberately restricted to some customers.

Why this application is restricted for some customers based just on their geographic location/ country ?
    Well, a "no answer" from TomTom into a situation like this can be sometime an "answer" .

Thank you
  • lampardlampard Posts: 3,626 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Hi Mirel,

The MyDrive App is not available on Google Play and App Store in Romania. We do not cover TomTom Traffic in Romania and hence the app is not available to download on smartphones.

For route planning purposes, you can use MyDrive route planner on the tablet/ PC to transfer the routes on your device. See the public FAQ here: Traffic coverage

Cheers, lampard
    Hi lampard,

Allow me to disagree !

ITS Europe Congress, Strasbourg, June 20, 2017 – TomTom (TOM2) today announced the introduction of TomTom Traffic in Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Ukraine, Croatia and Romania....

https://corporate.tomtom.com/news-releases/news-release-details/tomtom-expands-its-global-traffic-footprint-64-countries?ReleaseID=1030689

... we are in 2018.
    Hello Staff team,

If there is another reason for this please explain it because the first one It was not too... "accurate". From what you can see above we have TomTom Traffic in Romania from 2017 and it's working quite well... and any way this application has nothing to do with the traffic availability from Romania because is not a dedicated app for us.

So sorry lampard, but the real reason for this not availability can be read it only "between the lines" of your answer.

This topic can be closed.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 6,228 [Moderator]
    Hi @Mirel

The traffic coverage is not completely the reason, but the explanation is that the MyDrive app is officially supported in limited countries. Romania unfortunately is not in that list.

Sorry about that.

I would take this as a feedback which I will pass on to the concerned team.

Thanks,
    Vikram :)
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
    Hi VikramK,

I know that this app is not supported/available for some countries like Romania.

That's why my question is:
    ”Why this application is restricted for some customers based just on their geographic location/ country ? ”

And speaking of this, I am curious, what other country beside Romania ? ... Somalia ? Do not get me wrong, all the respect for this country, but we also from Romania are paying for TomTom GPS hardware and software the same as you, and this ”limitation” is absolutely for no reason.

Thank you

... from here is nothing more that I can do about it.