Installing POI sets on GO Mobile — TomTom Community

Installing POI sets on GO Mobile

WombferretWombferret Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
Many years ago I had a an HP hand held device with TomTom installed. It was brilliant. One of the good things was that you could download sets of POI and install them onto the programme. These were like hotel or supermarket chains we used while travelling. Is this facility available on the modern app?

Comments

• JenkinsHRJenkinsHR Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    It is a great feature that is missing would be great to have this added
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,155 [Revered Voyager]
    You can import Community POI (ov2) files into a MyDrive account through its web login (go to My Places / POI Files / Import POI File) and then synchronize between your MyDrive account and your GO Mobile app.
  • EddepetEddepet Posts: 50 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    just copy the *.ov2 files to: /Android/data/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp/files/files/personal/pois.
    If the "pois" folder does not exist, just create it.

If you want icons for these POI on the map, create 64x64 pixel *.png files with the same name and store them in
    /Android/data/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp/files/files/personal/pois/ov2_icons/hdpi/

e.g. hotels.png will be the icon for hotels.ov2.
  • nalribeironalribeiro Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Olá Eddepet,
    eu já tinha os meus pois a sincronizar com o mydrive e a funcionar correctamente, mas já algum tempo que pesquisava como conseguir colocar ícones no mapa para os meus pois, fiz exactamente como explicaste copiei os arquivos * .ov2 para: /Android/data/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp/files/files/personal/pois, e depois criei a pasta ov2_icons dentro da pasta pois e dentro da pasta ov2_icons criei a pasta hdpi e meti lá dentro os arquivos 64x64 pixels .png com os mesmos nomes dos pois. testei e não funciona será que estou a fazer alguma coisa mal? será que também funciona colocar só os icones na pasta Android/data/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp/files/files/personal/pois/ov2_icons/hdpi / e sincronizar os arquivos com os mesmos nomes do mydrive? Obrigado pela ajuda.
  • nalribeironalribeiro Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    eu fiz assim com a v1.15 e nao funciona. Porque?
  • schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 244 [Exalted Navigator]
    Works great. Thanks.
  • QFourQFour Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    You can also play around with PNG files in

/Android/data/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp/files/files/personal/pois/ov2_icons/xhdpi/
    96 x 96 pixel
    48 x 48 pixel
    /Android/data/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp/files/files/personal/pois/ov2_icons/mdpi/
    36 x 36 pixel
    /Android/data/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp/files/files/personal/pois/ov2_icons/ldpi/
    15 x 15 pixel

I created one in Paintbrush and just reduced the size :grinning:

Bit of fun but they do show up in various places
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 368 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Hi,

I'm an iOS GO Mobile user and even with the current version of GO Mobile iOS v1.10.1 we can't even use POI (.ov2) files with MyDrive, let alone show POIs on the screen like we could with the really old TomTom products.

So this post is very interesting in that Android GO Mobile allows you to use MyDrive and even show the icons of the POIs on the screen.

I have a few questions:
    1. Do I have to use MyDrive and then copy .ov2 and .png files, or is MyDrive optional?
    2. Icons of .png are mentioned, can you use .bmp as well?
    3. It looks like .ov2 files go into one folder and the icon files go into another depending on icon size? Why is this?
    4. If you have several maps do the .ov2 and .png files go into different folders depending on the maps are is this not the case now?
    Many thanks,
    Robert.
  • SinglePointSafetySinglePointSafety Posts: 41 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I don't know if the latest GO app has been 'fixed' (it's some time since I imported any POI sets) but it used to be the case that the POI set had to be sorted by (IIRC) latitude coordinate, or it would not be recognised as a valid file. This was discussed at length on this forum a few years ago, with lots of useful links and discussion about software for generating POI sets (and if necessary sorting them into the required order).
    Hi SinglePointSafety,

Thanks for the information. I use a Mac and MS Excel to create my master lists for POIs which I then convert to .ov2 by GPS Babel. So interesting if I could create POIs sorted by the latitude coordinate.

Regards,
    Robert
    QFour wrote:
    You can also play around with PNG files in

/Android/data/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp/files/files/personal/pois/ov2_icons/xhdpi/
    96 x 96 pixel
    48 x 48 pixel
    /Android/data/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp/files/files/personal/pois/ov2_icons/mdpi/
    36 x 36 pixel
    /Android/data/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp/files/files/personal/pois/ov2_icons/ldpi/
    15 x 15 pixel

I created one in Paintbrush and just reduced the size :grinning:

Bit of fun but they do show up in various places

I don’t have an Android at the moment, only an iPhone, but I might get a PAYG Android if the above fully works.

As I’ve already said, I don’t have an Android phone but I know someone who does and they’ve done the above but report that the icons only appear in MyPlaces and not on the map (view or navigation) screen is this correct?

How do you get the icons to show up on the map and navigation screens?

Many thanks,
    Robert
  • [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    How do you get the icons to show up on the map and navigation screens?
    Not at all, POI and their icons are only visible under "My Places" (list and map).

394c3af7-8311-4bdb-a935-be817e0a6654.jpg
    Hi EthoZ,

Many thanks for your quick reply.

It’s a shame that the icons can’t be shown on the map or navigation screen.

Regards,
    Robert