Bluetooth connection to headset — TomTom Community

Bluetooth connection to headset

uktomtommeruktomtommer Posts: 75 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
I have a Sony Z5 running Android 6 Marshmallows. The bluetooth connection is very temperamental: sometimes it works, and some other times it does not. Any suggestions on why, or what can be done?
I am a motorcyclist; I connect the phone to the bluetooth in my helmet, so the lack of bluetooth makes the app almost unusable for me as I wouldn't be able to hear the phone speakers.

I am wary of buying the one-year subscription for this very reason; is there a monthly option? Can I cancel and get a refund if bluetooth stops working completely?

It's 2017, TomTom has gone through many iterations of the app, yet something as banal as bluetooth connectivity still doesn't work as it should. I am speechless!

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi uktomtommer,

GO Mobile uses the media channel to send voice instructions via Bluetooth® and this is not ideal for connecting to a headset. As we don't support connecting to a headset, I'm afraid there's not much we can do at this point. I will, however, log this to be reported to the product team. Perhaps they can address this in a future release.

For refund queries, please contact Customer Service.

Cheers, Mikko
  • basixbasix Posts: 486
    Superuser
    uktomtommer, what kind of headset is it? If it supports A2DP it should work without an issue. That is of course if the app really uses the media channel on android. I even used google maps a while for navigation in combination with my Sena 20s without any issue. I don't see why it shouldn't work. Just make sure that on your phone in the bluetooth headset's settings, you have something called 'media audio' checked.
  • cruiZercruiZer Posts: 58 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    If it's a short message you hear nothing, but if when the message is longer you only hear the last words?

If so I have the same problem and a 'solution'.
    Between messages the bluetooth connection goes to sleep (to save power).
    Waking it up takes a few seconds of signal and then most messages already ended.
    I 'fixed' that by playing a 8 hour long tiny .mp3 file. The .mp3 is 100% silent but keeps the connection alive and all instructions can be heard from start to finish.
    Hi cruiZer,

Thanks for sharing your tip!

That sounds like something specific to your headset model. Which headset are you using? Does the manual state that it has such a power saving feature?

Cheers, Mikko
    This is the .mp3 I use: http://www.thingsbysimon.com/the-480-minute-blank-track/ (4 hours silence)

Mikkok, no headset but hearing aids.
    I don't even know it's hearing aids or Android dropping the bluetooth connection
    Hi cruiZer,

That probably explains it. I can imagine hearing aids to have a bit "heavier" power saving features than headsets.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi MikkoK,

Perhaps. I've never used a regular headset but I think hearing aids do quite well on a single battery.
    6 days of which about 6 hours bluetooth streaming.

Just in case I'm not the only TT user with this problem: Besides the .mp3 file I mention I also found a lot of apps in Google Play that do the same.
    Just search for "Keep bluetooth alive", "Keep bluetooth awake"
    Hi cruiZer,

I think it might have to do with the Bluetooth® channel used for sending the audio. GO Mobile uses the Media channel. Does it work ok for calls? They come through the Hands free channel and work differently.

Cheers, Mikko
  • fendofendo Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My phone (Acer Liquid Zest) didn't connect either to my (mono) headset.
    I downloaded "BTMONO" from the playstore and started this before I connect my phone. This works well for me. You can try doing that. (Sorry for my bad English, I'm Dutch :-)
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0