New GO Mobile for iPhone v1.7 available for download — TomTom Community

New GO Mobile for iPhone v1.7 available for download

MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
Hi all,

We've just released a new v1.7 of the GO Mobile for iPhone and it's available for download in the iTunes AppStore.

[h3]What's new?[/h3]
- Find Alternative: Choose your preferred route. Check the difference in distance or time to your destination, on alternative routes. To search for alternatives select Current route in the menu or tap on your route.

Drive safe! :D

Cheers, Mikko

Comments

• babyboxbabybox Posts: 53 [Legendary Explorer]
    It's great to have this option. But. You still have to go into the menu en tap 2-3 times instead of doing this from the homescreen. Why doesn't the three options popup when you search for a location and then you select which of the three is the best for you

What about when you are driving and you come to a road where there is a lot of traffic. Does it automatically show you alternative routes or is it just rerouting you?
  • MarkJWilcoxMarkJWilcox Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Hi MikkoK.

I haven't been following the discussions on this forum but my phone just downloaded the latest version and it's great to see the addition of alternative routes. However, I noted that Avoid part of route is still greyed out and Googling that has led me here. Isn't that part of selecting alternative routes and so now easy for TomTom to enable again?

Also, as I've now read others discuss, I note that waypoints are not still re-introduced. Again, surely that must be now available to the app team to add so that our selected routes are personalised alternatives to the main routes.

Finally, for now, may I suggest you move the Report speed camera icon back onto the main display? How many accidents or fines for using the phone may be caused by drivers struggling to cope with menus whilst driving when a quick glance and press would set, or of course unset, a camera position? If TomTom are hiding it because you don't want to include it, just turn it off completely.

Anyway, I'm glad to see development is occurring with this new app as I cannot now download my bought and paid for UK and Ireland app. Hopefully added functionality will come soon here.

All the best,

Mark.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi babybox,

Welcome to the Community!

As mentioned in the announcement, you can also get an alternative route by tapping the route in driving view.

The app is updating the traffic situation on your route every minute to check if there's a faster route available. Based on your settings you'll be re-routed to a faster route when one becomes available or asked if you want to take the proposed route.

Should this not happen and you end up in a traffic jam, please report it to Customer Service with time and location details. They can then report it further to the product team to find out what went wrong.

@ Mark: Welcome to the Community as well! :D Developing features is not a trivial matter and the product team is working hard to bring more features to help you with navigating easily. Avoiding a part of a route or choosing an alternative route use different logic to help you find suitable routing. Finding an alternative route is still geared towards finding (another) fast route to your destination whereas Avoid part of a route needs to use very specific parameters to give you the route you like.

We certainly don't encourage people to fiddle with their navigation apps and devices while driving but rather have a passenger do that, if possible. Easier reporting of Speed Cameras has been a much requested feature and also helps us improving our service. Of course it's there as an option. Alternatively, you can also mark the location [user manual] and report later with the MapShare Reporter.

For reinstalling the old app, please see here.

Please, post back here if you have further questions :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • WozzackWozzack Posts: 9 [Master Traveler]
    Looks like a nice update but there still isn't proper use of Bluetooth for sending instructions through the car stereo or a setting in the app to force the use the phone speaker.

Google maps has been using BT correctly for a long time now so why can't Tomtom?
  • gfsymongfsymon Posts: 59 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Very nice to see this update ... and unexpected, in view of the bi-annual updates that support told me were to be expected.

It would be nice for us that regularly use toll-roads, if you could include the actual toll costs in the route summaries. Via Michelin provide this information and it is very useful when combined with time differences between routes.
  • GMTRB5GMTRB5 Posts: 24 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Good update and nice to see the alternative routes. The latest map update also seems to have made the journey times much more realistic - before the journey times were just not accurate, but with this update they seem to be much more reliable now! ?
  • GMTRB5GMTRB5 Posts: 24 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Suggestion for future updates - when you select your destination why can't it display the alternative routes screen by default so that you can see the options available to you and you can select the route you want to take...
  • MarkJWilcoxMarkJWilcox Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    @MikkoK

Thank you for the link to download the original app. It is now working perfectly for me - I've got my trusty and well-used satnav back. ?

With regards to the Go app, I understand that it's not a trivial thing to add new features to an app; however, you do have the benefit of the code of the older app available to your development team. As it worked so well, I'm sure they can use it to speed up development of the new app's features.

For what it's worth, I tried other apps whilst being so frustrated with the Go app and it still beat the ones I tried due to a combination of either the speed and accuracy of the mapping, the traffic reporting or the ease of the search for destinations. These to me are the most important features and you have these now.

If you can just code more of the requested features back in from the older app, you'll be on to a winner again.

All the best,

Mark.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for coming back!

The team is working hard to implement many old and new features to GO Mobile. As the app is based on a completely different software architecture than the previous app all features need to be redeveloped to work in it. Unfortunately, this takes some time, but you'll see more features coming in future releases :D

Cheers, Mikko
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0