TomTom Adventurer: disable heart rate sensor in hiking mode

CortoCorto Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
edited January 30 in TomTom Adventurer
I want to do a hiking trail of 100 km in a row. So I would approximately need a battery life of approximately 24-30 hours.
I would like to know the distance covered and my average speed. The heart rate information is not necessary for me.
SO I would only need the GPS

Can I disable the heart rate monitor in hiking mode to extend the battery life?

What would be the maximum battery life with only GPS activated? (And how can I set this up on my Adventurer?)

Best regards,

Corto

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,208 [Superusers]
    Corto wrote:
    I want to do a hiking trail of 100 km in a row. So I would approximately need a battery life of approximately 24-30 hours.
    I would like to know the distance covered and my average speed. The heart rate information is not necessary for me.
    SO I would only need the GPS

Can I disable the heart rate monitor in hiking mode to extend the battery life?

What would be the maximum battery life with only GPS activated? (And how can I set this up on my Adventurer?)

Best regards,

Corto

Battery life is rated for around 5 hours for GPS/HR/Music, 9 for GPS/HR, 11 for GPS only, 24 hour sin hiking mode and 2 weeks for watch only (that includes pause time as the sensors are still on - so if during a 2 hour activity you had 30 minutes of pause it was 2:30 of battery life, not just the 2 hours it was recording for). Those of course are estimates and best case scenario and are impacted by usage (using backlight, switching screens, etc.) and environmental conditions (overcast skies, tree cover, tall buildings, etc.). If you have night mode or the backlight on that is going to impact it greatly. I have found that they are pretty accurate estimates and my usage and testing has pretty well matched them. Bear in mind that the battery gauge is a rough estimate at best and I have gone many hours when it indicates that it was almost empty. Turning off the HR sensor will make a definite improvement in battery life as it takes away about 25% of life. For maximal life you would want hiking mode, HR off, no backlight, no Trails (this eats a lot of battery life as the screen is constantly refreshing and it is constantly polling GPS and the compass) and a minimum of screen switching.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • CortoCorto Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Thank you very much for your advice !
  • ted360ted360 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    So is the 24 hours estimate for hiking mode calculated with HR or without it?
  • scubajorgenscubajorgen Posts: 12 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Does the Bleutooth affect the battery life much?
    I found 9.5 hours with GPS only (trail running, flight mode, no HR sensor); largest part of the day indoor.
    ted360 wrote:
    So is the 24 hours estimate for hiking mode calculated with HR or without it?

I would assume without, but they did not specify. Most people don't need to track their HR while hiking as the are not doing it as a cardiovascular exercise and are looking for the extended battery. Be aware that it takes a GPS signal less often so your track will not be as accurate as during running, but since you are moving much more slowly it will not be an issue.
    Does the Bleutooth affect the battery life much?
    I found 9.5 hours with GPS only (trail running, flight mode, no HR sensor); largest part of the day indoor.

BT is only active if Music is playing, which cuts the battery life in half. It goes to sleep when a phone is not syncing otherwise. You can always put it in airplane mode just in case. Using it indoors with GPS on is going to seriously impact battery life as it will be struggling to get a signal all day, which increases battery consumption.
  • scubajorgenscubajorgen Posts: 12 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Thanx!
  • preferredpreferred Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am using the adventurer essentially for hiking. So far I found out that it is of no use, primarily for the limited battery life plus having to pack a charger and an extra watch, in order to be sure to always have the time. The gps function seems pretty useless too, as the monitor is minuscule and does not contain any maps material. I think that I am better off with my phone in almost any configuration.