Lost activity after battery ran out

kent davies
kent davies Registered Users Posts: 91
Supreme Trailblazer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Went for a cycling activity that the estimated duration was between 8 hours and 10 hours.

Set my Runner 2 at the beginning with knowing that the estimated battery time of the watch was roughly 9 hours (GPS and HRM on).

When I was approaching to the end of the track, almos with 9 hours since the start, the watch goes flat and dies (I was expecting this). Fifteen minutes later I finish the activity.

I then connect the watch to my smartphone and the activity wasn't there. Connected to the PC and wasn't there. In the watch, in the activities list, it wasn't there.

To my amazement, the clock has no record of my activity.

How is this possible? Why doesn't the watch save the data as time goes by? The information is always in memory and only at the end of the activity is it written to the internal memory? If this is the case, it only reveals poor programming procedures.

Extremely disappointed

Comments

• MikkoK
    MikkoK Retired TomTom Employee Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Kent,

I'm sorry to hear this! I completely understand your disappointment.

It sound to me like your watch wasn't recording the activity at all as it's no longer on the watch. Normally the watch records the activity until the battery runs out and you can export it.

I'd recommend you to factor reset your watch as instructed in this FAQ [support FAQ - Factory reset].

Please, post back here if this happens again and we'll take a closer look into it.

Cheers, Mikko
  • kent davies
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Hi MikkoK.

It was recording the activity because it was showing information along the time. It was also notifying me when I went out of the heart rate zones that I defined.

Will do a factory reset and let the battery ran out on another activity to debug.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    Went for a cycling activity that the estimated duration was between 8 hours and 10 hours.

Set my Runner 2 at the beginning with knowing that the estimated battery time of the watch was roughly 9 hours (GPS and HRM on).

When I was approaching to the end of the track, almos with 9 hours since the start, the watch goes flat and dies (I was expecting this). Fifteen minutes later I finish the activity.

I then connect the watch to my smartphone and the activity wasn't there. Connected to the PC and wasn't there. In the watch, in the activities list, it wasn't there.

To my amazement, the clock has no record of my activity.

How is this possible? Why doesn't the watch save the data as time goes by? The information is always in memory and only at the end of the activity is it written to the internal memory? If this is the case, it only reveals poor programming procedures.

Extremely disappointed

Mine has always saved the activity right before the battery runs out completely, it sounds like yours actually crashed at some point and did not save. Did you get a battery low warning at some point before it ran out? When was the last time it was actually running that you noticed? A factory reset will probably fix it as it was likely a glitch in the firmware but if it repeats I would definitely call Customer Support and have them dig deeper in case it is a hardware issue.

To do a factory reset, make sure the Connect software is running and dock the watch to your computer. The Connect window will open; press the gear at the top right and select Factory reset from the next screen. Follow the steps provided, giving the watch the same name and using the same email address. When prompted to register or sign in to MySports, select sign in and use your existing account credentials. It is fairly straightforward and should take less than 5 minutes.

To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact, enter the product name and click Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • kent davies
    Supreme Trailblazer
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    Did you get a battery low warning at some point before it ran out? When was the last time it was actually running that you noticed? A factory reset will probably fix it as it was likely a glitch in the firmware but if it repeats I would definitely call Customer Support and have them dig deeper in case it is a hardware issue.

I did not hear the low battery warning but I'm sure that I've looked to the watch past the 8 hours during the activity.
    I will first try to reproduce the issue and after that do a factory reset and debug again.
  • kent davies
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Forced the battery to ran out while doing one activity. This time the watch did save the activity.
    Do not understand why it did not save the other time.

Will make a factory reset.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    Forced the battery to ran out while doing one activity. This time the watch did save the activity.
    Do not understand why it did not save the other time.

Will make a factory reset.

There was probably just some sort of glitch during that activity and for whatever reason it crashed. It is hard to determine what it was. A factory reset will put a clean version of the firmware on, which should help. If it continues, contact Customer Support who can look at if it is a hardware issue.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • kent davies
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Hello again.

Not satisfied, I ran another test. Full charge my watch and start an activity and wait the battery ran out. My idea was the following. Maybe the watch was periodically saving the gathered data and it was kept only in volatile memory. When the watch was shutting down, the data was saved to the non-volatile memory and since there were too many data (an 8-hour activity has 28 800 points of data each one with at least timestamp, coordinates, HR, etc..) the watch could not save it because it didn't have the time to saved because the battery becomes empty.

My watch recorded a 9h and 20 minutes activity (roughly 33 600 data points each one with as least timestamp, coordinates and heart rate). So my idea fell apart :)

Now I know I can take my watch to an activity of 8 hours and the data will be saved. What happened initially (first post of this thread) was probably a glitch.