Gaps in sleep tracking

sdhanendrasdhanendra Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 28 in Archived Discussions
I have been using my TomTom for about 3 months and I love it. recently I was analyzing my sleep pattern and discovered something that is raising certain questions in my head.
Sleep tracking shows gaps of about 10-40 mins in my sleep data. and more surprisingly the 90% of the gaps are within the same time range, accurately between 5-6AM. The gap starts around 5:15-5:20 AM and ends around 5:45-5:55 AM.

Is it because I am restless in those hours? or my heart rate is high at that time? or maybe I am moving too much on my bed during those hours?
One more thing coming to my mind is shall I get up from bed between 5-6 AM as there is some irregularity with my sleep during this time?

Please help me understand this behavior.
Thanks.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,220 Superusers
    sdhanendra wrote:
    I have been using my TomTom for about 3 months and I love it. recently I was analyzing my sleep pattern and discovered something that is raising certain questions in my head.
    Sleep tracking shows gaps of about 10-40 mins in my sleep data. and more surprisingly the 90% of the gaps are within the same time range, accurately between 5-6AM. The gap starts around 5:15-5:20 AM and ends around 5:45-5:55 AM.

Is it because I am restless in those hours? or my heart rate is high at that time? or maybe I am moving too much on my bed during those hours?
    One more thing coming to my mind is shall I get up from bed between 5-6 AM as there is some irregularity with my sleep during this time?

Please help me understand this behavior.
    Thanks.

All the watch is using to detect sleep is movement, it does not take HR into consideration at all, it only uses movement. When you stop moving for some specified period of time it assumes you are asleep and assumes you are awake when it gets a sustained period of movement. So if you are a fairly restless sleeper and move around a lot there is a chance that it will not be able to accurately detect your sleep patterns. I would say it is fairly accurate in general. It seems to catch me falling asleep and waking up fairly well, although I do notice if I wake up 30 minutes before my alarm and fall back asleep it sometimes will not count the last 30 minutes. This may be because I was restless and was not still enough to register as sleep or I was awake before the evaluation period was finished so it never registered me as back asleep and that is likely what you are seeing.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • sdhanendrasdhanendra Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks tfarabaugh,
    you reply pretty much answers my questions.
    I think I need to research more on why these movements happen at a specific time during my sleep.

Thanks.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,220 Superusers
    sdhanendra wrote:
    Thanks tfarabaugh,
    you reply pretty much answers my questions.
    I think I need to research more on why these movements happen at a specific time during my sleep.

Thanks.

It is interesting to see the patterns that develop. I wake up two hours after I go to sleep every night, regardless of when I fell asleep (to use the bathroom usually) and 30 minutes before my alarm goes off (anticipating getting up I guess). Nothing I can do about it, it is just the way I sleep but it is interesting to see the pattern.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online92

4nic8
4nic8
DougLap
DougLap
oe5psl
oe5psl
TomTomuser1234
TomTomuser1234
+88 Guests