Speed Camera Location Inaccuracies in UK on GO 6200 — TomTom Community

Speed Camera Location Inaccuracies in UK on GO 6200

Mike403Mike403 Posts: 21 [Outstanding Explorer]
edited January 2019 in Speed Cameras
Hi. I recently bought a TomTom 6200 to help with an upcoming trip to the USA. I made my decision to buy a TomTom product despite good experience using a Garmin Device while hiring a car on recent holiday in Iceland. I am not yet at the point of regretting that decision, but I am having difficulty 'trusting' the speed camera / average speed camera information.

I have just returned from a 600 mile round-trip between Manchester and Devon.

I noticed that on several occassions the TomTom device 'warned' me about speed cameras / average speed cameras that were not there, and failed to warn me about speed cameras / average speed cameras that were there. There were also inaccuracies associated with this where the 'start' and 'end' for average speed camera monitoring was often wrong.

My TomTom 6200 was 'synced' and connected via 'Bluetooth' to my Samsung Galaxy S4 Smartphone. I
was using the 'MyDrive app' and my phone's data connection to access real-time traffic information. The device was fully up to date, including 'speed camera updates'.
I don't remember this as being a problem with my 'old' TomTom device: The database (as I recall) was pretty accurate. (I think that TomTom used the 'Road Angel' database then.)

As I was travelling alone and I am still learning about my new device, I didn't want to take my concentration away from driving safely and didn't feel comfortable about 'pressing buttons' on my new TomTom device to report any inaccuracies while on the move.

What are TomTom doing to get back the accuracy that they seem to have lost?

Comments

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,008
    Superusers
    You can check their database via the MSR tool (link in my signature - under the report camera option). If you recall any of those incorrect locations, could check if the issue is with their core data, or maybe some bug in the software. Also they've just released a new software last week, it is worth checking if the device is updated.
  • Mike403Mike403 Posts: 21 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Not sure how to check their database. (MSR tool link?) Incorrect locations now a bit of a blur after the journeys. Software was updated the morning before both the journeys.
    Thanks for the link Zsolt. I've had a look, but any alterations I might suggest would just be guesses at this stage after the journeys. If my wife had been travelling with me and had I been aware of this 'feature' we could have made a note of the inaccuracies and used the link to update map errors to TomTom. Maybe their database needs a better way of obtaining map correction updates than relying on people like me! Surely the Highways Agency must keep a record of where the Roadworks/50mph restrictions are currently situated.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Community!

Our Speed Cameras team is very good at keeping the database up-to-date using official sources as well as others. Therefore I suspect rather an installation issue with the cameras on your device.

I'd first recommend you to re-install the cameras with MyDrive Connect.

Removing speed cameras from your navigation device

Updating speed camera locations on your navigation device

Cheers, Mikko
    Thanks Mikko. I think that the suggestions for deleting / reinstalling speed cameras refer to TomTom Home: I'm using a 6200 with TomTom Mydrive. I don't 'recognise' the descriptions for how to do this. They don't 'match' the menus/screens I can see on my PC.
    Superusers
    Yeah, I was wondering also how would it be done on the Wi-Fi series :) Maybe offline, with the device not connected (via MyDrive Connect)?
    Hi Zsolt: For what it's worth, while trying to sort this out, my PC played up mid download and I managed to 'wipe' my UK map! I stopped using the PC and used WiFi to download a replacement UK and Northern Ireland Map. When completed, I was offered a Speed Camera update download (via WiFi). When this was completed, the TomTom 6200 announced itself as 'Fully up to date'. So no harm done. ... Although I don't know if the Speed Camera information is correct, as my device reckoned that everything was 'Fully up to date' before my recent trip to Devon! BTW, I'm still waiting for the 'official' response to my question sent via email a day or two ago: I'll 'post' that when I get, if that's any help.
    Hi Mike,

My instructions were indeed for MyDrive Connect but updates on your device are managed from the device. My apologies!

I'll ask my colleague get back to about this as you can't re-install the cameras yourself.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi Mikko. I don't think that I deleted 'Speed cameras'. (Although I'm not sure how to check!) If you read the thread back, you'll see that my PC played up mid down-load and I managed to 'wipe' my UK map. I then used WiFi to download a new UK map. As I was offered a 'Speed camera update' (which I have also downloaded, and my TomTom 6200 'says' that it's fully up to date and ready to go) I think that means that I didn't get round to un-installing the speed camera data base. Once I realised that my 'screens' and 'menus' were different from your link instructions, I wasn't about to mess around with deleting anything.
    Hi Mike,

Re-installing the map indeed doesn't touch the cameras. What you could actually do - and has been very effective in these cases - is to factory reset your device by choosing Settings (cog wheel) - System - Reset - Reset. Please note, that this will delete your personal information, e.g. My Places and destination prediction data. You can save and restore My Places with MyDrive.

Please, get back to us if this doesn't help you sort this out and we'll look into it further.

Cheers, Mikko
    Thanks Mikko. I've done a factory reset and used MyDrive to restore my personal information. TomTom 'says' that it's up to date. I've re connected with my smartphone. Should be 'good to go'. I won't know if the Speed camera maps are right until I go back down to Devon in about 5 weeks. Thanks again for the help. I'll let you know.
    Hi Mikko. I'm getting confused now:

I thought that I'd managed to get my TomTom 6200 WiFi sorted out and up to date (including Speed Cameras). I just received this email:

'Dear Mr Williams,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support. The reference number for your query is 17xxxx-xxxxxx.

As I understand from your e-mail that you are having trouble while getting the speed camera alerts on your TomTom device.Many apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Rest assured that I will do my best to resolve the issue.

As I can see in our system that on your account you got the lifetime speed camera updates and its activated.

I would like to inform you that there might be chances of speed camera file have gone corrupted on your Go 6200 device.

In order to resolve this issue you need to perform factory and soft reset on your device by following steps.
    • Make sure that the device is not connected to a computer.

• Perform a Factory Reset AND Soft Reset.

Please note : This removes all personal settings, including your Favourites.
    On the map or guidance view, select the Main Menu button .
    Select Settings, then select System.
    Select Reset three times to reset the factory settings.
    When prompted to select a language, perform a soft reset of your navigation device: Press and hold the On/Off button until the device restarts and you hear the drum sounds. This can take 30 seconds or more.
    Select your preferred settings, then wait for a valid GPS signal.
    Once done, Please click on below link which will help you update the speed cameras on your navigation device and follow instructions.
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5536/kw/update speed camera
    Please let me know the outcome of the procedure and if you need any further assistance please feel free to reply and I'll be more than happy to help you.

With Kind Regards
    Customer Service Representative
    The TomTom Customer Care Team'

I've replied and told her that I've done the 3X Factory Resets and 1X Soft Reset. I've also refered to your earlier response to this query, in which you commented: 'My instructions were indeed for MyDrive Connect but updates on your device are managed from the device. My apologies!'
    I've asked her for clarification, as I took your reply to mean that I didn't need to use my PC and MyDrive Connect to update the Speed Camera database, I can just use WiFi to do this. So I'll ask you: Is WiFi the way to update the device or do I need use the PC?

Mod edit: Please do not post any personal information on public forum!
    Superusers
    If you have a look at the link, it is for the non-Wi-Fi devices. Most likely a bit of oversight.
    Thanks Zsolt. I thought that might be the case. So, does this mean that I can 'skip' the PC and MyDrive bit?
    Superusers
    Unless I miss something, I can't see a way to use MyDrive Connect for the speedcams or other content for that model.
    Thanks Zsolt, MikkoK and Vicky D for all your efforts. I hope that that is the end of this. You've been very patient!
  • Mobile_chicaneMobile_chicane Posts: 14 [Legendary Explorer]
    I have a go 6200 with wifi and i update the cameras regularly however there is a mobile camera spot I pass 2 - 5 times a week and even though I report it using the dashboard button on the 6200 it never seems to save it as a camera even after updating the database.

Is there a way to manually add a camera in a particular location on my device ?
    Superusers
    Try to use the online map reporter (link in my signature). Usually one has better chances over there.