Location Search functionality on Start 52 -Postcode Only?? - Page 3 — TomTom Community

Location Search functionality on Start 52 -Postcode Only??

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi dburns,

Welcome to the Community!

The discussion here is about the limitation when navigating to post codes in rural areas. For advise on doing searches on your device, please see here [user manual].

If there's a particular street you can't find you might've spotted a map error. In that case, please post some details of it to the Map Quality board.

Cheers, Mikko
  • dburnsdburns Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    no, its the same problem as discussed above, tomtom taking a retrograde step, and forgetting that so many of us live rurally and therefore don't have the luxury of road names
    Hi dburns,

Usually all roads have some sort of designation we can use in our map data to enable navigation. If that's not the case for some roads, it indeed creates a challenge.

You could try using mapcodes to work around this.

Cheers, Mikko
  • dburnsdburns Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    :)
    these machines are supposed to save work... not add to it.... I took it back to the shop and upgraded to a GO520 - at least I got lifetime traffic for my extra spend
    Hi dburns,

I'm glad to hear your retailer was able to help you out with this! :D

As discussed here, the problem with rural post codes only affects the Step by step search. As you new GO 520 also supports Quick search you won't suffer of this :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • montythedogmontythedog Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    This is ridiculous. "Indeed creates a challenge"? TomTom solved this challenge years ago, and yet have now put out a product that doesn't work in this entirely predictable situation. You have previously said that you were working to address this. Was that not true? Is there a fix in the pipeline, or not? Is "quick search" being made available for Start 52 and other devices with this problem?
  • montythedogmontythedog Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Just to remind you MikkoK, this is what you said a month ago:

"This issue is still under investigation. We're working hard to find a solution as soon as possible."

Not sure why then this is now a surprise to you, but you could perhaps check in with the development team and find out whether they have identified the problem yet, and how far they are along with developing the solution.
  • scott macscott mac Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I too have just purchased a start 62. Live and work around rural Scotland. This device is unusable !! Tried to find IV55 8WN, no street names just an area but device cant locate. tried IV55 8WS. same again. If there is no solution then device is going back to the shop and will be highlighting its faults on twitter so others don't buy it. Not Happy !!
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,968 Superusers
    Hi
    It's only the latest Start 42/52/62 Range that has this particular Step by Step search method

All of the previous NAV4 Models and the remaining Models in the NAV5 Range... The Via and GO Range have both the "Quick search" and "Step by Step search" as menu options

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

This is not just a Start 52 problem, but I should imagine they are very similar 'base' units.

According to this model my address does not exist, the road is not even shown on the zoomed-in map, it also does not show if I use Step by Step (type address backwards basically)

I live in South Devon (pretty rural) in a road with a name and a postcode TQ88BW (no space - as requested).

The postcode designates 4 properties on 'normal' postcode searches.

This farce will now cause me to make another 40 mile round trip to Halfords Plymouth tomorrow to exchange for a Garmin, once I have checked this postcode issue isn't some contagious sat nav problem.

Very very disappointed and quite staggering that a corporation like Tom Tom would releases a product so crippled that it cannot reliably read a number of postcodes (as demonstrated in this thread). I also tried Brittany Ferries Plymouth - But the Tom Tom computer says no.

12 years ago I won an old RAC badged sat nav, you typed in the postcode, it found the address in no time and off I went. Sadly that device died and this is an attempt to enjoy a holiday in France without having to rely on my mobile phone signal and 2 gb of capped data by using Google Maps or Waze - Which, by the way, both work absolutely seamlessly, with camera warnings, traffic updates etc, all for free.

What a mistake it appears I have made choosing Tom Tom, unless there are any bright ideas out there, and I don't mean map coordinates.
    Hi Beerhowler,

Welcome to the Community!

Your device also supports Quick search [user manual]. Did you use that?

If yes, you might have spotted a map error. Please, post it on the Map Quality board.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi
    @Beerhowler
    On your Via 52 Try... Tap (.... Menu) -> Settings -> System -> Choose a search mode... Choose "Quick search"

My GO 520...

48e4d359-8337-46bc-b9aa-92562b5bfd6b.jpgATB YFM

Yes definitely done that , read the manual, tried every option - This is definitely a known issue.

I have just spoken to Customer Support UK - Like the other contributors here with the same problem the Support adviser will pass it on to the team.

No good to me I am off on holiday to France, I have absolutely no faith in this device so I am off on a 44 mile round trip to the retail shop to swap it for a Garmin.

Sorry - You failed
  • BeerhowlerBeerhowler Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    Hi YamFazMan, thank you for trying.

Yes you have found my address listed - On your Go520 - This is not the case on the new VIA 52 I have just purchased.

Having spoken to Customer Support UK just now they tell me that your GO520 uses the same software (Firmware??) NAV 4 or 4.5 as my device so what is going wrong here?

I appreciate the guidance to navigate to 'Quick Search' - I have tried this and it also does not work. Total frustration.

My search using this method shows a random road 150 metres away from my cul-de-sac road 'Dell Court' which is not even shown as existing off the main Onlsow Road (as in your screen shot) there should be a branch road off Onslow Road.

Yes I could report the mapping error, but how can other mapping services show me where I live seamlessly using just my postcode. Looking at the number of 'missing' postcodes I would be making these reports regularly - So I'm working for Tom Tom now? I don't think so.

I am off on holiday by Brittany Ferries Plymouth - Search that postcode for this huge port (Millbay, Plymouth PL1 3EW) and, when using just the postcode, I get an unnamed road in an area called 'Stonehouse, Plymouth' - Possibly 'close' but absolutely not good enough.

I have totally up-to-date software/firmware - Application version 17.200.0011.311.(0) (25/06/2017)
    Installed maps - 'Europe' v990.8354 (Released 04/2017)

Using map references is not a sensible option, I am not in the Armed Forces, to offer that as an alternative (suggested elsewhere in this thread) is like the motor industry abandoning the use of vehicle registrations and asking that we use the chassis and engine numbers to identify vehicles.

Sorry, no faith in Tom Tom, big mistake purchasing this, wish I had seen this thread before I committed, now off to buy a Garmin.
    Hi
    @YamFazMan

For reference.

This download page in Tom Tom support probably answers why your Go520 can read and find UK postcodes.

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9852/kw/postcode

If you pull down the Compatible devices list from the top of the webpage link you will see that your GO520 is listed together with many others.

This current thread mostly seems to discuss the recent START 52 and VIA 52 devices. Neither listed on this UK Postcode download site so not supported for this download (one assumes). This could go some way to answering why this is an ongoing issue.

IMHO It would seem that the more recent START 52 and VIA 52 devices are effectively in beta and I would prefer it if Tom Tom had done their R&D then release a market-ready device into the retail market place.
  • scott macscott mac Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Map error '. The device cant find a postcode that dosen't have a street name in the UK. Took the device back to currys and got a refund. Think I will buy a garmin. Shame. had a tom tom for past 15 years.
    Beerhowler wrote:
    Hi
    @YamFazMan

For reference.

This download page in Tom Tom support probably answers why your Go520 can read and find UK postcodes.

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9852/kw/postcode

If you pull down the Compatible devices list from the top of the web page link you will see that your GO520 is listed together with many others
    Hi
    No the Tomtom devices that are in that pull-down menu are for the old NAV2 devices where you have access to the filing system on your PC and can install the postcode file using your PC (There was an earlier device also called the GO 520)
    The latter NAV3 NAV4 and NAV(5 Wifi) devices have the postcodes are embedded into the Map
    It's the search engine that's different for the latest more basic Start 42/52/62 Range models, they only have the step by step search available

ATB YFM

I'm afraid I have had to return the VIA 52 device back to Halfords. They were very understanding, couldn't believe the fact that it couldn't find two postcodes and exchanged for a Garmin device. I have spent several hours messing around trying to get the Tom Tom to work and can only say that it's way easier sticking with a phone with Google maps / Waze, or using a Garmin if out of phone signal.

Thanks for the input but this time I'm off I'm afraid. Cost me plenty in time and fuel to an fro.....
  • vmpvmp Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I know you have now returned your tomtom, I have the Via 52 and found your postcode location with quick search no problem. Not sure why yours did not find it. using lasted update 17.200.0011.311.

VP
    @VMP Thanks for trying, I'm sure you will find my post code TQ8 8BW returns 1 Onslow Road. I don't live there.
    The Post Office postcode search returns my correct address.
    I've just holidayed in France with a Garmin. Totally brilliant, great firm wear/operating system. Cost another £60 but it works, sorry Tom Tom

Mod edit: Please do not post any personal information on a public forum!
  • KaminskaKaminska Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I've just bought this start 52 and it seems we all have the same problem using the only postcode. No more information can be found in manual and I think that is only one solution - I have 28 days to give it back to the shop and ask for a full refund ! Very disappointing !!! And big shame for TomTom - my old one was much better but the old model cannot be updated.
    Hi
    The Start 42, 52, 62 Range has a different Search engine the rest of the Tomtom Ranges... Called 'Step by Step' search

The rest of the Tomtom Ranges including the VIa Range and above have the far Superior 'Quick search' as default, with Step by Step search as an option in the Setting Menus

ATB YFM

I can't believe what I'm reading here... I bought a start 42 a few months ago to replace a cheap and cheerful satnav that had packed in... I wrongly assumed that the start42 would be able to find a location by postcode only... not being able to means that its almost useless!!

I tried to use it to find a holiday location in Wales in the summer and ended up having to set it to the nearest town and find my way from there using my phone!... same again last week trying to find the premier inn near markyate in Bedfordshire... I thought it was just a 'glitch' so googled the problem and ended up here.. seems like there's a few other dissatisfied customers..

I've had the unit since early august so its too late to return it, but had I known it lacked what I believe is a very basic function, I would not have wasted my money on this product!!!... is there going to be an update?? or are we stuck with this cr*p product??
    Hi
    Try....
    Premier Inn POI locations for Sat Nav
    https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/why/locations/satnav.html

See... TomtomVideo....
    How to import POIs, GPX files and Favourites in MyDrive
    [video]
    ATB YFM

Only one postcode worked out of five trips that i have made!
    Each time it failed i was asked for a road name - i don't know the road name only the post code. This makes it impossible to get to the location!
    Before i found this thread I thought i was going mad - obviously this has been an issue for months & still not sorted out!
    Luckily I had my old tomtom XL which worked perfectly!
    I wonder now why I bought a new one!
    Can't believe this from tomtom - I would class the start 52 as not fit for purpose!
    Feeling very angry & frustrated & considering returning the sat nav & buying a different brand. Shame as i have always found tomtom to be perfect for my needs!
    Any news on when this will be fixed or it is going back!