Location Search functionality on Start 52 -Postcode Only?? — TomTom Community

Location Search functionality on Start 52 -Postcode Only??

Having had our old 520 stolen we bought a TomTom Go 52. I've got to say I'm not in the least bit impressed. I keep thinking I must be missing something? Our old satnav allowed us to put a postcode only in and off it went. Whatever I try the 52 just won't do this. Forever asking for a street name. We live in rural Wales, most places don't have one! I know there is an option for co-ordinates but come on, who is going to bother using that? So much hassle. I feel like throwing it in the bin. (Rant over!). Am I missing something??

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,152 Superusers
    You aren't clicking on the lat/long choice prior to inputting the values? Having to click one more time first than just putting in the lat/long is a hassle? Guess you better bin the device then.......
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,542 Superuser
    @millerart

Have a look at pages 25/26 of the manual http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/start_42_52_62/refman/TomTom-START-EU-RG-en-gb.pdf

Hope this sorts you out
    Help others identify useful content :-
    If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍
    If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • millerartmillerart Posts: 22 [Apprentice Traveler]
    dhn wrote:
    You aren't clicking on the lat/long choice prior to inputting the values? Having to click one more time first than just putting in the lat/long is a hassle? Guess you better bin the device then.......

what ordinary person is going to use lat/long? I don't want to trawl google for my friends coordinates in the hills of Wales or get my old OS maps out. All I want is to be able to pop in the post code as I once did and off I go.
    Niall wrote:

thanks but that doesn't really help. it still asks for a street name and in the hills of Wales they are very few and far between. I just don't understand why TomTom would do away with the post code only option.
    Try inputting a postal code without spaces and country flag set to Wales.

Sorry about my incorrect suggestions earlier.
    no Wales option and still asks for street name. Our street has no name (nor have those of our friends). Very frustrating.
    Well, see what support says on Monday. It could be that postal codes in Wales are not supported:

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
    I have contacted support but Wales is in the UK and I have the same problem in England. it's ok if you know a street name or you're going to a city centre, not so great if all you have is a post code. I just think they no longer support this feature which seems madness to me.
  • [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Revered Navigator]
    @millerart
    Give an example of a postcode that does not work.
    our friends postcode is sa40 9ur. I input this and then I'm asked for a street name. They live on an unnamed b road. I can't proceed any further and end up going around in circles. On my old satnav there was a postcode only option.
    24c048b3-fc13-4478-97eb-88805e9204fb.jpg
    51cfc802-4635-45f5-b96e-393785e83686.jpg
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,542 Superuser
    @millerart

If I plan a route to SA409UR on my START 20 I am given a position on a corner of the B4338 in Llanwenog
    The route planner gives thiscbfed3da-0fef-4560-ba1f-41a616ebaaca.jpg
    Help others identify useful content :-
    If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍
    If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
    EthoZ is this a Start 52? If it is I don't get that screen at all once I've imputed the post code. My options are Drive To> Address (as opposed to POI or Lat/Long)>Enter city or Post code> (I enter post code)>Enter Street name. Nothing like the screen displayed. Have I got a faulty satnav then?
    Sorry just realised I put GO 52 not START 52!
    Yes, I've read the manual. The problem is it just wont navigate using the postcode only. It just doesn't seem to be an option.
    Well, I have my answer from Support:

"As I understand from your e-mail that you are very disappointed as there seems no way of just imputing a postcode onto the Start 52 device.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

David , Unfortunately this feature is not available on new device including the latest one."

I just cannot understand the reasoning behind the decision to remove this feature. My only workaround seems to be to use the online 'smart route planner' accessed from My Drive, put the postcode in there (which works) and send the route to my device. I can't see my buying a TomTom again, which is a real shame.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,967 Superuser
    Hi Millerart

In your original entry you mentioned you had a Go 52 and subsequently references are made to the Start 52 presumeably as there is not a Go52.

I find that answer from Support as totally inbelieveable. If you go to page 39 of the Start 52 manual it clearly states that the unit accepts Postcodes and Mapcodes. I do not believe that Tomtom would even dream of releasing a product with no Postcode facility.

Page 33 of the manual says how to enter and what happens.
    Hi Douglap, believe me, it will not take JUST a postcode, I have gone round and round in circles trying to get it to work. The manual gives you the example of the post code for Oxford street - this works because when you put in the postcode the road name automatically pops up in the list below. This doesn't work when there is no street name but the unit insists on having one. Dead end. You've seen my answer from support. I can't believe that they would do away with this facility but it looks as if they have.
    DougLap wrote:
    I find that answer from Support as totally inbelieveable.
    So do I. This boy (or girl?) of the support must be absolutely clueless.

Here an example from a (non actual) Go 50.

bed21ad9-41ca-4390-83ca-a7ec8eea6459.jpg
    This is the equivalent screen on my Start 52 - it shows the postcode again at the top of the list....

so I click on that and I'm asked for a street name. Top of the list is the nearest town. If you click on that, it will plot a route to the nearest town, NOT the post code you originally entered. Completely frustrating.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    The post code is a rural post code and is not specific to one road unfortunately, this is why the device then asks you for the road name when searching by postcode for SA409UR: http://checkmypostcode.uk/sa409ur#summary
    I understand that Chris but my previous model (GO 520) and other older models (as you can see from other members in screenshots above) at least give you the B road and an approximate destination. The Start 52 refuses to do that. I live in a rural area, is par for the course.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,967 Superuser
    Hi Millerart

I can see you are getting frustrated. It would be helpful if someone like Mikkok could respond to this having tried on a similar unit to your own.

What I find puzzling is that I have never seen a page layout likes yours when using postcodes, even rural ones, on any TT I have had including the GO 5000 I use now. It also seems from the information that Mikkok has given that the new Software issued yesterday which is for my unit is also for your unit as well. So if you have the same software and I assume the same map you should get the same result as has been shown in the pictures people have loaded as that is what I get.

Hopefully we will get a response from Mikkok or one of his colleagues after they have tried on the same unit.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    millerart wrote:
    I understand that Chris but my previous model (GO 520) and other older models (as you can see from other members in screenshots above) at least give you the B road and an approximate destination. The Start 52 refuses to do that. I live in a rural area, is par for the course.
    Yes you are correct, I checked on a START 52 and found that like you this particular post code has challenges. All though this issue doesn't seem to appear on any of our other devices, and the location is on our maps https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/#mode=search+viewport=52.08408,-4.1859,16+search={"input":"B4338, Llanybydder SA40 9UR","coords":[52.08407,-4.18588]}+ver=2

So it's not a mapping issue, I think it's to do with the way the START 52 handles searches compared to other models. In the START 52 we have hierarchical search so searching for an address is a step by step process i.e. Address> Country> City/Postcode> Street

It seems for Post Codes without a Street Name the device still demands a street name be selected but if there isn't one to select then the device can't proceed.

I'll report this back to the team.