Add GPS altitude to the TomTom Spark — TomTom Community

Add GPS altitude to the TomTom Spark

ASDFGHQWERTYASDFGHQWERTY Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
Since there are a lot of complaints in this forum about the lack of the calculated GPS altitude on the runner/spark watches (all versions), I decided to add this post in order to ask tomtom to add it to the next firmware updates.

All of the other brands do provide the calculated GPS altitude directly on the watch's display, and actually it is quite accurate. It is hard to understand why tomtom do not provide it in its sport watches.

The altitude will be really useful to whom is doing sports like hiking, trekking, mountain-biking etc.

Thank you

Comments

• ou999ou999 Posts: 74 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Of course, this would be great.
    However, there are a lot of options why TomTom does not provide those features currently: maybe the hardware is not able to do this (not enough cpu), they have their resources allocated to more important topics (bluetooth connectivity, new app, smartwatch functionality). So I would love it, but I doubt it will ever come.
  • ASDFGHQWERTYASDFGHQWERTY Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Ok, but other watches (even older ones) with similat specs (or less hw power) have it. It is really strange to have the lack of this important feature for a sport watch.
  • gl00gl00 Posts: 965 [Revered Pioneer]
    FYI, I had the Suunto Ambit 2S and Edge touring which did disply GPS based elevation in real time... they really were NOT accurate.

I'm not talking about a constant offset from actual elevation but actually WRONG profile: the Suunto especially would even report me going up a hill when I was going down! (and I mean big slopes, for several minutes!)

there is a definitely a reason why most watches use barometric altimeters now for real time altimetry display
    FYI, I have a 7 years old "Geonaute" GPS watch from Decathlon showing accurate GPS altitude readings!!
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi ASDFGHQWERTY,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for your feedback!

I'll log this to be reported to the product team.

As mentioned here, there are some technical considerations for realising this feature. As our watches are largely geared towards running and fitness we prefer to use the resources of the watch for features most useful for these purposes. Last autumn we released the TomTom Adventurer watch which has a barometer and supports measuring altitude when trail running or skiing. For more information, please see here [Adventurer product pages] and here [user manual].

Cheers, Mikko
    With this post and with the private post that you sent me some time ago, it is cristal clear that tomtom is avoiding to add the GPS altitude because they're trying to push this other product with barometric altitude (more expensive).

It is also clear that there is a big number of users asking for that GPS altitude, either in this forum and on other thematic forums on the web. And it is even more clear that if you look around, you can see that all of your competirors are providing that functionality (GPS altitude) from years without having the barometric sensor.

I can give you an example (this is not an advertising, it is just posting a real comparison and examples) of a watch from "Decathlon" named Geonaute 500. This watch is 7 years old and it is providing all of the feature that you're providing (except optional bluetooth and cardio) plus the so called GPS altitude (and actually they're providing also some features that are very basic in a GPS watch like the indication of latitude and longitude - which actually is missing in your model).

So, please, do not try to say that the coiche of not providing the GPS altitude is realted to a lack of Hardware Resources (a lot of older watches had it in the past and continue to provide this feature in the new watches, including cardio, bluetooth and whatever).

Consider also that I have one of your watches because someone give it to me as a gift. If I was aware of this lack of the GPS altitude, I never would have bought (I would have bought one for the same price or even less from one of your cometitor, offering the GPS altitude).

Since you have a lot of messages in your forum asking for the GPS altitude, i decided to wrap it up in a common request.

==> Again, this is not advertising of other products or brands, it is just the reality! This would be a constructive feedback. And I think that having the possibility to discuss it here, is just a good think both for the owners community (of your watches), and for tomtom as a company (it could be a good place to get good suggestion and feedback from user that are really using your solutions - this could be even an opportunity for you to higher up your reputation, in the customers community - and to understand that maybe some business choice could potentially be wrong for the end users).
  • lkj poilkj poi Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I've just bought the TomTom runner 2 and I was actually browsing the forum just to understand how to see the GPS altitude in the watch. It is very disappointing that this useful feature is not available.
    Before buying this watch I assumed that the GPS altitude was included like the watches of the other brands. I was wrong. Probably now knowing this lack I would not buy it.
    Anyway, I am a hiker, and I support the request of adding the GPS altitude. It is really useful for hikers. Please add it to the runner 2 and other watches!!
    lkj poi wrote:
    I've just bought the TomTom runner 2 and I was actually browsing the forum just to understand how to see the GPS altitude in the watch. It is very disappointing that this useful feature is not available.
    Before buying this watch I assumed that the GPS altitude was included like the watches of the other brands. I was wrong. Probably now knowing this lack I would not buy it.
    Anyway, I am a hiker, and I support the request of adding the GPS altitude. It is really useful for hikers. Please add it to the runner 2 and other watches!!

Altitude support and Hiking mode (with 2s GPS mode for longer battery life) is available on the Tomtom Adventurer. I doubt they will add this to the Spark.
  • lkj poilkj poi Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you for your comment but reading around it seems (from your comments) that you're a TomTom employee :D
    Actually if you look around you can see other products from other company with the same tech specs and with the GPS altitude included.
    It is my fault that I bought the watch without checking if the GPS altitude was there... just assuming that since the other brands have it, I assumed that also TomTom would have it.
    Basically I chose TomTom for its brand reputation, having in mind that its watches should have been the best... but actually I was wrong.
    Anyway... if TomTom can take in consideration this feature, is really important!!!

Thank you!!
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,851
    Superusers
    gl00 wrote:
    lkj poi wrote:

Altitude support and Hiking mode (with 2s GPS mode for longer battery life) is available on the Tomtom Adventurer. I doubt they will add this to the Spark.

Agreed, altitude tracking is one of the key differentiating factors between the Spark and the Adventurer and adding it to the Spark would severely undercut the sales of the more expensive Adventurer, so I can't see it happening.
    lkj poi wrote:
    Thank you for your comment but reading around it seems (from your comments) that you're a TomTom employee :D
    Anyway... if TomTom can take in consideration this feature, is really important!!!

Thank you!!

Thank you for your comment but reading around it seems Tomtom should start paying me! :D

Thank you!!

:$
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    Agreed, altitude tracking is one of the key differentiating factors between the Spark and the Adventurer and adding it to the Spark would severely undercut the sales of the more expensive Adventurer, so I can't see it happening.

This is a bad business choice because a lot of different tomtom's competitors provide the GPS altitude (so, without barometric sensor). And these watches are offcourse less expensive than the "adventurer".

And you can understand that it is a wrong choice alco for the number of message that you can find in this forum or in other thematic forum in the internet about this topic.

As also highlighted by upper posts, consider also that some user got it as a gift, or bought it assuming some basic features (like GPS altitude or the availability of the lat,lon indication) were available in the watch. Otherwise they would not have bought it.

@TomTom: please consider to add this features. Your brand reputation, in this particular piece of market could be affected (compared to the products in the same market area and same product level of other brands - consider also the other brands that are in this market since years and before you entered it).
  • djleggedjlegge Posts: 14 [Apprentice Traveler]
    +1 for this.
    Every GPS enabled device I have ever owned since the 1990's has had an (approximate) elevation display and it's nice to have. This is the only thing which seems like a 'downgrade' compared to my old Garmin Forerunner 305. Other than that I would highly recommend a Spark 3 to anyone.
    Okay, the reading may vary by 15m or so when you are not moving or whatever - that doesn't matter. If you want accurate measurement of ascent / descent rates then of course buy an Adventurer.
    If you have just run / ridden up a new hill it is frustrating not to have an approximate height reading just for fun, especially when you know the amazing device on your wrist is more than capable of it !
    Please consider adding it in some form - maybe a GPS status display with lat / long and altitude, or just a single 'metric' for selection on the display ? Thanks !:cool:
  • CarloRCarloR Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    The adventurer is too much expensive because it comes with hr and music that hikers don't matter.
    I would buy a Tom Tom device if only had (even only) gps altimeter.but it seems it's better to buy other
    I have to complaint about the tomtom runner devices.
    After a year of use... I understood that they are a disaster!
    Crashes, connection problems with the app, complete reset without clear reason.
    Then they have no this GPS elevation... a think that EVERY GPS watches have since years.
    An example: about 8 years ago I bought a Decathlon GEOnaute GPS watch that was really better than this that has been created 8 year after (at least It had GPS elevation, it was not loosing connections/data and it war catching the GPS signal faster than this tomtom scrap)
    If you have a look at the competitors... like garmin or suunto... in the same price area... they offer really more (even if you just consider the usability of the software).

If tomtom continue like this... it will be out of the market in one year.
    Keep doing GPS navigator rather than GPS watches... it is not your field!
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,851
    Superusers

If tomtom continue like this... it will be out of the market in one year.
    Keep doing GPS navigator rather than GPS watches... it is not your field!
    Umm, they are already out of the market. They left the wearables market months ago and are no longer producing new devices.