Customizable interval training for Runner 3 — TomTom Community

Customizable interval training for Runner 3

Toni G.Toni G. Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
In Runner 3, you can only set up equal intervals (same duration or distance). It would be great if an interval configurator were available in My Sports page, where you could customize your own training sessions (e.g pyramid intervals) and upload them to your Runner device via the mobile app syncronization.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,830 Superusers
    Toni G. wrote:
    In Runner 3, you can only set up equal intervals (same duration or distance). It would be great if an interval configurator were available in My Sports page, where you could customize your own training sessions (e.g pyramid intervals) and upload them to your Runner device via the mobile app syncronization.

It is not a bad suggestion, but I don't see it happening based on my experiences and observations after a few years on the forums. They seem to be targeting a casual athlete for whom the basic training will be fine, assuming they use it at all. The whole thought process behind the watch was simplicity and streamlining, to avoid all the advanced programming and extra buttons and displays in other watches and this lack of customization goes along with that what you see is what you get approach. While it may be a useful feature for you, it needs to be something the majority of users would want in order to justify the resources needed to develop it and it is possible that the customer base for this watch does not have the interest in it that you do (demand = resources). The development team monitors the forums and notes requests and trends, but in my experience on the forums I would not expect much to change but you never know. TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Toni G.Toni G. Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for your reply. I see your points, however I still hope that some other users support my request and it becomes visible to the development team's eyes. This watch is competing for a market niche against other brands that may offer more specific running features. You can even find this feature in Endomondo app, via the web browser interface, as I suggest. I don't think this is a huge development and it will not impact the watch's usability either. Basic users wouldn't notice and medium/advance users would appreciate it.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,830 Superusers
    Toni G. wrote:
    Thanks for your reply. I see your points, however I still hope that some other users support my request and it becomes visible to the development team's eyes. This watch is competing for a market niche against other brands that may offer more specific running features. You can even find this feature in Endomondo app, via the web browser interface, as I suggest. I don't think this is a huge development and it will not impact the watch's usability either. Basic users wouldn't notice and medium/advance users would appreciate it.

I agree with you, I wa just trying to give some background on why it is not included. It may be on the list, but is probably not that near the top (connectivity, accuracy improvements and promised features like phone notifications likely top the list). That is not to say it will never happen but since it hasn't changed in almost 4 years through 4 generations of the watch I am not expecting a lot now. And since TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) we will just have to wait and see.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • YorkshireHunterYorkshireHunter Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I agree with Toni G.

While it would be too complicated to set up on the watch itself like normal intervals, there could be a customisable option on the TomTom Sports site which you could then upload to the watch in the same way you can with trails.

Customisable intervals are hardly the reserve of world class athletes, pretty much any basic training plan uses them.
  • sj_76sj_76 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I also agree with Toni G en YorkshireHunter. Advanced interval option is the feature I miss. The present interval feature is to basic in comparison of the Garmin Forerunner I had before the TomTom Runner 3. I hope this will be added soon.
  • NathiMNathiM Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Really I don't think that this is too much to ask for. We will develop our own programmes, we are just asking the developers to allow for this to happen and to sync the same to the device. Simple does not equate to bare minimum.
  • Lele6689Lele6689 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I agree with the above posts,it will be a nice feature to add
  • ColonelFazackerleyColonelFazackerley Posts: 27 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I agree it would be nice.

I agree the interface on the watch should be kept as simple as possible. This kind of thing could be set up on the web interface (as the OP said) or mobile app and sync'd across.

Indeed, I think some of the complexity of the interface that is already on the watch should be moved to the website/app. I've missed features on the watch.
  • KanemochiKanemochi Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Would also greatly appreciate this feature
  • cheekychimpcheekychimp Posts: 209 Superusers
    This feature would be good to have. At the moment I have to leave my Runner 2 at home and take with me my old but trusted mid range Polar product that handles on device customisation of intervals.