GO 5100 GPRS Disconnected.Is this related to 2G networks being closed? — TomTom Community

GO 5100 GPRS Disconnected.Is this related to 2G networks being closed?

I have been using a GO5100 for 18 months relatively successfully.

2G networks have been discontinued in Australia and Network Status now says "Not connected". GPRS Status Disconnected (50503,0,0,0,10,1).

Hence I can no longer get live traffic or more importantly link via a network any planned routes on my laptop using MyDrive to the GO5100.

Has anyone else had this issue or is it a known problem with no fix?

Many thanks

Comments

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,008
    Superusers
    It can very well be, if they really disconnected already, but I was under the impression that it will happen a bit later. If that is the, give TT CS a call.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi sioseeker,

We have no knowledge of any network issues in Australia at this point. The error message you're receiving refers to something wrong with the SIM card in your device. Please, see this FAQ [support FAQ – TomTom Traffic/LIVE services not working]. Please note, that factory resetting your device will delete your personal information, e.g. My Places and destination prediction data. You can save and restore My Places with MyDrive.

Should that not help you solve your issue, please contact Customer Service and provide them with the information mentioned in the end of the FAQ. With that information they'll be able to investigate your issue further.

Cheers, Mikko
  • sioseekersioseeker Posts: 24 [Legendary Explorer]
    Called TT CS. Very helpful.

Was asked to send device in for repair. Problem with SIM card. (I still think it is related to cutting 2G network in OZ). With no cables or car mount I sent it registered post. 16 Jan.

Parcel arrived today 27 Jan. TT CS sent a new device. New serial no.

Bad news is they didn't send me back the SD Card which I guess was my fault, but this is where you need to store the maps so I included it with the faulty device. Only $9 - but inconvenient. Good news is TT included another mounting kit. Whoo hoo. Now I can have a mount in each of our two cars.

I did need to call TT CS and get the lifetime maps allocated to the new device. The Indian call centre was most helpful.

All good and great outcome. TT really seem to have lifted their game.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi sioseeker,

I'm glad to here you got it sorted! :D

Please, register the replacement device to your TomTom account with MyDrive Connect to activate the map updates. Should you run into any problems with this Customer Service can assist you further.

Cheers, Mikko
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 667
    Superuser
    Good to hear sioseeker, although you don't mention if you now get the live traffic on the replacement unit..?
    Yes live traffic now works fine as does speed cameras. Certainly for Australia. All good.

MikkoK is correct - I wasn't aware that I needed to use MyDrive to delete the (retained by TT) faulty device and add the new (replacement) device. Hence maps didnt appear as available content. TT CS India fixed this for me and were most helpful.

I obviously needed to download all the maps again, but this took much shorter time than a year ago. 1 hour for Europe Vs 4-5 hours previously. Even connecting the GO5100 to my laptop via USB seems much improved whereas before it was a very hit and miss arragement with lots of rebooting laptop and GO5100.

Very happy. Thank you TT CS.
  • sbhadti1957sbhadti1957 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi I have Tomtom Go live 5100 since last 1year. Suddenly I notice that the GPRS has stopped working. My tomtom number QRxxxxxxxxxx. My map is v985.8149, GPRS model 16.00.152. Is there anything I do to get my GPRS active and get map update as well as Live traffic updares?

Mod edit: Please, don't post private information on a public forum. Thanks!
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,008
    Superusers
    Try to do a soft reset. Press and hold the ON button, until you hear the drum roll. If no luck, then do a factory reset. If none helped, give a call to TT CS, maybe the SIM card is faulty. However that would be nothing to do with the map updates. The latest map is v985, so you should be OK with that.
  • MBSNLMBSNL Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Hi I have Tomtom Go live 5100 since last 1year. Suddenly I notice that the GPRS has stopped working. My tomtom number QR2086K00298(0). My map is v985.8149, GPRS model 16.00.152. Is there anything I do to get my GPRS active and get map update as well as Live traffic updares?

For recent Live-services disconnected and GPRS issues, please also look here:
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/go-6000-live-services-not-connecting-1020224

I have a GO5000 with this issue, in the thread quoted above people have a GO6000.
    It all started in the last few days.

Question:
    Before your GO5100, did you own a TomTom device before? With a SIM card internal? How long ago did you stop using that?
  • sbhadti1957sbhadti1957 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi MBSNL I did own Tomtom 1500 which did not have internal SIM card. I stopped using that as soon as I received the GO 5100 about 11months ago. Now I did the soft reset and it started working. During the last 11months I had to use the old Tomtom only once because this stopped working and was restarting during driving.
  • kismail_un60kismail_un60 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    I have a Go 5100 and 3 days ago the gprs has stopped functioning I have contacted Tomtom today and they advise me that the 2G services have now been discontinued. So now I have a functioning GPS with out any traffic information
  • bigbig Posts: 1,629
    Superuser
    Yes, @kismail_un60, the carriers in Australia discontinued 2G service. TomTom has been offering discounts for other devices to the people affected. Suggest you call back customer services and ask if they can accommodate you assuming you are interested.
  • kismail_un60kismail_un60 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Yes TomTom has provided me with a discount so I have purchased a new Go 620.

The annoying part of this is that my previous unit is only a couple of years old and was totally functional and met my requirements.
  • NFSNFS Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Like many others I bought a 5100 with TomTom offering LIFETIME MAPS AND SPEED CAMERAS. Now we find out that TomTom tell us “Sorry, GPRS service turned
    off for Australia” and their only apology is to offer a discount on a new device?!
  • NFSNFS Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Yes TomTom has provided me with a discount so I have purchased a new Go 620.

The annoying part of this is that my previous unit is only a couple of years old and was totally functional and met my requirements.
    https://www.productreview.com.au/p/tom-tom-go-520.html
    NFS wrote:
    Like many others I bought a 5100 with TomTom offering LIFETIME MAPS AND SPEED CAMERAS. Now we find out that TomTom tell us “Sorry, GPRS service turned
    off for Australia” and their only apology is to offer a discount on a new device?!

Ah this is so disappointing to lose GPRS in Australia. The ability to create routes on a laptop using MyDrive and have that seamlessly transfer to the device in the car was fantastic. We are just back from six weeks in France and Services and GPRS worked fine on a G0 5100.

I do not want to but a new device that dongles to a phone. The use overseas would be a real problem without a proper in-foreign-country phone plan.
    Superuser
    @sioseeker Very confused here. The units with the built-in SIM (like the 5100) do not work out of the area of purchase. They don't have a correct SIM for carriers in other areas and even if they did, it is TomTom's policy that services on all units, whether connected via Bluetooth or built-in SIM, are available ONLY in the region of purchase. So how could your 5100 have used TomTom services in France? (Yes, that maps would work fine, but not traffic nor live safety cams (which don't work in France anyhow, due to French regulations.))
    big wrote:
    @sioseeker Very confused here. The units with the built-in SIM (like the 5100) do not work out of the area of purchase. They don't have a correct SIM for carriers in other areas and even if they did, it is TomTom's policy that services on all units, whether connected via Bluetooth or built-in SIM, are available ONLY in the region of purchase. So how could your 5100 have used TomTom services in France? (Yes, that maps would work fine, but not traffic nor live safety cams (which don't work in France anyhow, due to French regulations.))
    I was pretty amazed too. The TT Services worked fine in France. I agree with your observations that they shouldn't, but hey, I have no idea why they did. It did take many frustrating minutes getting out of CDG while it initially booted up and got organized though.

I had an expired version of speed cameras from a previous trip and they still worked as well. It is called "Safety Zones" which show a solid white sidebar route with red border on many km length of road where a speed camera is or might be located.

Oh I have just had an email from TT offering me a 50% discount on a GO 520 or 620. Does anyone have any idea of how much data these devices use if WiFi dongled to a mobile phone? TT say 10MB a month. That sounds pretty low to me.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,860
    Superuser
    @big

I was in Australia earlier in the year along with my 5200, interestingly it also received traffic info until the 2G proposed shutdown date of 1st March then I got a message that "live have terminated" coming from TomTom yet Vodafone had not actually turned it off the service, until a couple of months later.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,333
    Superusers
    I think the fact that Vodaphone was the carrier in both Oz and Europe had something to do with why Services worked in both locations.
    Superuser
    Maybe there is hope that TomTom will relax or eliminate their "services only in region of purchase" restriction.
  • DogsDogs Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Very narrow sighted for TomTom to decide to use an old technology to incorporate into a device that claims Lifetime. Thats false advertising, will seriously hurt their reputation, especially if they do not make things right for the customer. The more I read on hear pretty much signifies that they aren't toking after anyone.

One unhappy customer is worth thousands lost in revenue and wasted in advertising. In a global arena where all electronic device users, demand performance and state of the art features, TomTom may as well close its doors, if it can't provide simple technical ingenuity and rectify an issue for future products, let alone provide decent customer support to customers who have been let down.

I never received any notification of the impending problem. After I enquired why it was not working, they offered over the phone 50% off a new device. They must think that their customers are poor simple [email protected], it they think we'll bight at 50% off RRP. You could probably walk into a shop or find online a deal close to that, or better (or worse for TomTom in another Brand, with better features).

And why would anyone want to spend more money on a product that does less than the old one? Did the same person who chose to use old technology, also come up with the idea of tethering the GPS to your phone for live updates? Is this person a [email protected]? If we all have our phones connected to a TomTom, say good bye to using your builtin multimedia system in your car (that you paid extra 1000's of dollars/pesos/frank/pounds for).

I can see the headlines now.....

"No sorry I can't take your call at the moment, my phone is connected to my low tech TomTom".

"No kids we can't listen to you favourite song, we have to sit in silence for the next 6 hours, otherwise we might get lost. As I have to have the TomTom connected to my phone".

"CD and iPods sales skyrocket, after TomTom users are forced to have their phones connect to their GPS".

"The subscription to online music streaming services such as Spotify, Pandora, Apple Music, Google Play, and Amazon Music have declined, after TomTom users are forced to have their phones connect to their GPS in order to receive Live Updates".

"Traffic accidents have decline globally. Reports suggest that is due to reduced mobile phone usage whilst driving, as drivers are forced to keep phones connected to TomTom......Traffics accidents are on the increase once again, as road users purchase second phone".
    Superuser
    For what it's worth tethering your mobile to the TomTom does not stop you from doing any of the things you mentioned. You can still use your phone for other purposes totally normally. Plus, if TomTom ever gets its act together, you are not restricted to just one carrier.
    We are back again in Europe. I dusted off my GO 5100 wich is 2G and fails to work in OZ. Works fine here in France. Biggest benefit is that the GO 5100 also has live traffic. Yeah! Downside is that the device is so slow, screen isn't real bright, and has a battery life of a nanasecond.

I also have my GO 520 that I needed to buy for Australia after the demise of the OZ 2G network. New device, backward features. Life traffic doesn't work even if tethered to a WiFi device. My places synch OK but Routes/Tracks will not synch and remain synched. They synch OK initially and then once the device resets or sleeps, the synched tracks disappear. Why do developers make such items so flaky? Surely in this day and age of technology, one should be able to buy a device and use it world wide?
    Superuser
    Is the GO 520 software up to date? The 520 and the 5100 use practically identical software but the 520 has superior hardware. Do note, however, that live traffic is only available in the region of purchase, so if you want to use that world wide you cannot.
    If that's not the issue and you can't get traffic to work please write about what's going wrong.