Add Google Fit to supported services

Al13nAl13n Posts: 95 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
I would like to see Google Fit added to Apps & Exporting for my Spark to sync step and sleep data.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,730 Superusers
    Al13n wrote:
    I would like to see Google Fit added to Apps & Exporting for my Spark to sync step and sleep data.

Even if it were added, all that is currently exported is sports activity data. Since the standard data formats (fit, tcx, etc.) do not incorporate activity tracking data, any connectivity between a device and a site or app would have to be a custom upload between the device and the app, which is a large investment of time and resources. It also would require there to be enough user need to justify it (i.e. a material overlap of users along with the desire for those users to even want the functionality). In order to make it not be a customized interface, all the major watch and fitness device manufacturers would need to agree on parameters for what goes into the data files, and I can't see competitors coming together to make it easier for users to use competing devices. Not saying it will never happen but TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Al13nAl13n Posts: 95 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    I feel like you're shooting down my request as something unreasonable. I don't think that this is an unreasonable, and it would add value to the Runner/Spark line as every-day/all day wearables. Obviously this is a market segment they're interested in, or they wouldn't have added step/sleep tracking to begin with.

While the app may not currently export this data, but step data _is_ recorded and synchronized with the app. While there is no industry standard for step/sleep data, there are two big central players (Google and Apple), and support for synchronizing with them is quite common -- to the point of being standard itself. There are countless third party applications and devices that integrate directly. Just to name a few: Pebble, Fitbit, Fossil, Moto, Sony, Under Armor, Withings, Xiaomi
    Al13n wrote:
    I feel like you're shooting down my request as something unreasonable. I don't think that this is an unreasonable, and it would add value to the Runner/Spark line as every-day/all day wearables. Obviously this is a market segment they're interested in, or they wouldn't have added step/sleep tracking to begin with.

While the app may not currently export this data, but step data _is_ recorded and synchronized with the app. While there is no industry standard for step/sleep data, there are two big central players (Google and Apple), and support for synchronizing with them is quite common -- to the point of being standard itself. There are countless third party applications and devices that integrate directly. Just to name a few: Pebble, Fitbit, Fossil, Moto, Sony, Under Armor, Withings, Xiaomi

I did not mean to come across as shooting it down, in fact I agree with you. i was just trying to give some texture as to why it is not available and some background on why TT has not implemented it yet. My goal is to try and help use my experience on the forums to help set other user's expectations to avoid disappointment or misunderstanding. TT's big goal seems to be making the data super easy to use elsewhere (evidenced by the number of partners and formats it is available in) but as of now the focus seems to be on sports data only. The overall focus seems to be on getting basic functionality (connectivity and accuracy) working, then getting promised updates implemented (phone notifications), so this may be on the list but not on the top. They do monitor the forums and note these sort of requests, but TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • ulekulek Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I think lack of sync to Google Fit is the biggest flaw of TT sport watches (all the rest is flawless!). The list of trackers and apps supporting Google Fit is growing at very fast pace and it is worrisome to hear that TT team is not even considering to implement this feature.

As a workaround I'm syncing the activity data from TT to Google Fit Strava which is far from perfect on the Strava's/Google Fit side and I add manually the steps at the end of the day which is PITA.
  • anas alhashimianas alhashimi Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Yes the lack of sync to Google fit is one of the biggest disadvantages of the Spark 3 Cardio.
    It now sync to Google Fit and Apple Health supposedly. I don't use them so I am not sure the specifics, but I believe you set it up using the app under Manage>Connected Apps.