Approaching the waypoints on Rider 400

tugmantugman Posts: 333 [Revered Navigator]
edited January 31 in RIDER
I have used the 400 for the first time after using a rider 2 for a number of years and find the clarity of the screen is a lot better but there is a down side as unlike the rider 2 where the way point took you on your chosen route with the appropriate turn instructions and only announcing your destination as you arrive. The 400 announces you have arrived at your destination as you approach every way point which a real nuisance and could be a problem on long journeys as well as tiring. Is there anyway of over coming this problem by muting the sound as it passes a way point.

The route was built using tyre program on my computer with the file having an ITN extension that was imported to the unit using the drag and drop method.
Could anyone suggest how I can overcome this .

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi tugman,

The device GO Mobile app sais "your're arrived at your waypoint", not "destination". Unfortunately, there's no setting for this in the Rider 400.

Have you tried if you get this also if you plan your route on the device? Tyre might be doing something differently causing the announcement to be wrong. You could also create and import your route with MyDrive or make it a track in which case it won't have any waypoints.

For more information and troubleshooting tips for MyDrive, please see this FAQ.

Cheers, Mikko

Update: Amended the post as it wasn't entirely accurate. Thanks for all who've pointed out the errors!
  • tugmantugman Posts: 333 [Revered Navigator]
    Thanks I will try what you suggest
    I have just transfered the route from the top to the computer / tyre and shows that nothing had change in the transfer as all the way points are showing. However what I have found in the past with rider2 when importing hoc file into tyre is that all the way points show as desinations and have to be changed before saving as itn ext and loading into th r2. Everything then works normally and with only the destination being announced.

As that system worked ok why did you change it. How can I disable the waypoint/destinaroom amnoucements
    400. Gpx file
    Corrections. bloody autocorrect
  • 954dk954dk Posts: 291 [Master Traveler]
    The Rider 4x announces destinations. Tomtom Go Android announces waypoints.

Tomtom have been told that for several times!

The Danish videos below are both made on the devices to show the differences. "Vejpunkt" means waypoint.

Rider 40:

Go (Android):
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    In the contrary, I would like the waypoints to have a name and be announced with their name. This is extremely useful for me in long journeys with multiple stops. There are cases that you can't know where you are... No signs, road names, etc.

If I understand correctly you only have a destination (or a limited number of stops) and you're using waypoints to guide the device on a very specific route. In your case it seems more appropriate to use a track (i.e. GPX file), or design a route / itinenary (ITN) with a minimal number of waypoints in conjunction with the right route type & avoidances on the device. Tyre may help you in this with reduce or optimize functions.

An ideal solution would be a redesign of the way that TT handles waypoints to distinguish their type (a stop or an intermediate wp) where stops should be announced and intermediates not... Both GPX or ITN file formats can support that.

It seems that the plan is to deprecate ITN in favor of GPX, but almost a year now, they haven't solved more important problems...
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 273 [Exalted Navigator]
    yep, making stops on a gpx would be great.
    rider 5 could do waypoints, and stops. 400 can not tell the difference.

no change in a year or 2, safe to presume = no change, ever
    I have just tried to plan a route on my drive and have given up as while the way points are showing and linked when I try to zoom in to adjust the route the line disappears.
    2 the background mapping in my drive is nowhere as clear as in tyre.
    3. I built a route in tyre and saved as itn but on trying to import it into my drive it would only let me do it using gpx. but the back ground is so poor that it looks to me as if tomtom are trying to save money by using inferior mapping.
    4. As rider 2 was so good at getting me and keeping me on a designed route why have they changed to basics.
    can you at TomTom help sort this problem out
    foot note I have tried to help myself by reading the manual but again I gave up as it did not seem to make sence
    Hi tugman,

Which part of the manual didn't make sense to you?

Regarding MyDrive, please also see the FAQ I linked to above as well as the discussion in that topic. Especially user YamFazMan has some very good tips there.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi MikkoK,
    Did you watch the videos?
    Cheers!
    Hi 954dk,

Thanks for pointing out this difference between Rider 4x0 and the GO Mobile app! I didn't know this. I'll log this as an improvement request for the product team.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi MikkoK.
    I wrote it, because it is allready fixed in the Go app but not in the Rider 4xx.

Above you're referring to Tyre and the way the route is planned.
    That's not the fact:)
    Hi Mikkok
    Following on from your reply, today I went for a drive to test out your suggestions regarding planning a route.

I undertook this as a series of short routes that followed on from one another loading the next section after each destination was reached. Below are the results.

Section 1/2 were planned using the Tyre and saved as an ITN ext. then transferred using the drag and drop method on the computer. These were indicated as routes

Section 3/4 were planned using Mydrive and as the 400 was connected to the computer they just transferred. These were indicated as tracks although I did not choose this option.

Section 5 plus were planned on the 400 while in the car at the side of the road. No idea what this were viewed as. I can only presume that they were recorded as routes.

1/2 announced way points as destinations and destinations as detinations

3/4 did not announce them at all only the destination as per Rider 2

5 plus announced way points as destinations with the destination being announced as the destination.

There is now clearly no consistency around this area of the 400 operation and should be sorted because it is being very unhelpful at this current time.

My previous experience of finding gpx files showing way points as destinations after uploading a file into Tyre may be a clue to what is going wrong particularly as you can only currently use the gxp format to import files into Mydrive mapping.

As far as my comment about the instruction manual around the route planning, it just seemed unnecessarily complicated.

I would be grateful if you could pass these test observations onto the software department so that they can make the necessary adjustments hopefully before the summer arrives as I have planned a journey of several thousand miles.

If not it will be back to the rider 2 simply because I am able to trust it to do what I want it to do. Despite the intermittent power supply failure.

Perhaps also my very early comment re the "my places menu" and the very limited edit option of "delete only" so as to be able to chance the time/date title to something appertaining to the location, ie grid reference or place name etc.

Is it really necessary to have three options for the recording of the grid reference under search/whole map menu. Why not give that as an option under the setting menu and free up the screen area for the use of larger type set. After all we are not all as young as we were. Another question for the software department.

One further query on the Rider 2, I could go into the route text menu and find out the name of the next way point ahead. I always use road numbers or place names for these points. Are you able to do this with the 400. Again this can be very useful if you are in the middle of the countryside etc.
    One further comment I have just spotted that under my places/recent destinations all the way points on the above route/tracks are shown as destinations.
    Hi tugman,

Thanks for your thorough feedback!

There indeed seems to be a difference in the way Rider 400 and our other navigation products announce waypoints. We're looking into this.

Meanwhile, please note, that routes and tracks are handled differently regarding waypoints. Basically, tracks (GPX) are only from A to B without waypoints, while routes can have waypoints. For more information, please see here [user manual].

Note also, that if you save a route in MyDrive it's converted to a GPX track. To sync a route choose Send route to device after you've planned the route. This way the waypoints will be retained. For more information and troubleshooting tips for MyDrive, please see this FAQ. See also the user YamFazMan's tips in that topic.

Cheers, Mikko
    Thanks I will try your mydrive loading suggestion but on reflection I think that is whay I did. I wil be going out again on another test run and will come back to you with the results.

Do you have any comment regarding my other queries.
    1 co- ordinates
    2 edit menu in MySpace's

Regards

Tony
    Hi tugman,

Your feedback has been logged to be reported to the product team :D

However, I'm afraid I don't quite understand you point about the coordinates (grid reference). Could you start a new topic about your requests/suggestions and describe them in more detail, please?

You can view your route as text using the Show instructions feature in the Current route menu [user manual].

Cheers, Mikko
    HI Mikkok
    Thanks for your reply I will start another topic regarding the coordinate query.

This morning I planned another test route using mydrive and yes, using the "send to device option" the route plan worked ok in practice.

Before sending it to the 400 I was unable to see or find how I could save the route by a designated name prior to sending it.

I tried looking for it in my routes but it was not there. I did find a reference to the destination point name in " my spaces" together with all the other way/destinations point, but on clicking on the destination point or any of the other way points the only routes I got was a direct route to the destination or a single way point from my home and not the original route using the total number of way points?

Regards

Tony
    Hi togman.
    Sometimes you can save it from "Actual Route/Track" and sometimes not.
    It probably depends on TomTom's mood :-D
    Thanks but I expect my equipment to work with mood swings
    Ha, ha! :D
    Hi all,

When you sync a route with MyDrive it doesn't get automatically saved on your device. You can save it from the Current route menu [user manual]. GPX tracks are automatically saved in the My Routes on your device.

Cheers, Mikko
    Mikkok:
    It's on the device, the saving feature sometimes dissappears...

Cheers!
    Hi Mikkok

Thanks for your reply.

I have been out on another test run using a gxp ext. and everything worked as planned and as you stated there are no way points to view or be broadcast as I drove along. On returning I wanted to make changes to the track in Mydrive by pulling parts of the tract onto a different road but found when I tried to do this all that happened was the whole map moved.

To overcome this I saved the track gpx. onto my computer and then reloaded it into the tyre program where I was able to carry out the changes.

1. Why do I have to go to all this trouble just to make changes to the track line.

I have printed out the section of the manual P60/69 covering route/IPO’s but did find the answer.

2. While making another route on the 400 I attempted to insert an POI half way along a route from the myspace menu but was unable to do so. (Previously I had installed several IPO’s in that menu). All it would let me do was to construct a route direct to that point or start from it.

3. I then tried to do the same using Tyre that did work but only by making the IPO a destination point.

4. While out on the drive I continually received (you have reached your destination) as I passed the way points, (something we have discussed previously). At the mid-way destination point (POI) the flag showed up on the screen but only the above announcement was made.

5. So despite my best efforts, way point and IPO’s are all classified as destinations.

The question that begs asking who the hell designed this software because there is one thing for certain it was never tested in the real world. I should not have to be continually onto you with these problems and it would seem that I am not the only one.

How did this announcing of way points ever get pass quality control. You have spoilt what is basically a good piece of kit by trying to keep up with the Jones and in the process forgot the basics.

These are, get from to A-B or by a customer own designed route.

Over complicate the system by trying to cover all bases (the GPS window is a typical example) put the various options of recording/using the co-ordinates in the setting menu with an option to select which mode a user requires.

The edit menu in my spaces (requires additional title edit function) the current time and date is pretty useless and seems to come from camera / mobile phone type software.

Being able to copy/paste IPO,s from Myspace into a route map on the 400 and in Mydrive.

For any announcement to say just what they are.

Saving route files with itn and gxp ext option.

Your planning software may be ok for riders who go out to play on high days and Sundays but it not every good for serious riders who travel long miles like myself which after all is what it is mostly used for as we do not require it just to get the weekly shopping.

Just please get back to basics.

Cheers

Tony