Safety preferences on Rider 410

crispeycrispey Posts: 26 [Outstanding Explorer]
edited November 2018 in RIDER
Hi, just been bought the rider 410, having been using Garmins in the past, I am having a few problems locating stuff in the menu.

Can you tell me where i can disable the safety feature so that the touch screen can be used while moving? My wife,while riding pillion, used to hold the Garmin and was able to replan routes check stuff en route while we were riding, plus she could instigate a call. There has to be something in the menu as when using it in the car your passengers should be able to operate it

thanks in adavance

Comments

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    Didn't know there was such feature in the Rider. In the car models, I haven't seen that one (with the same model range) and can operate whilst driving.
  • crispeycrispey Posts: 26 [Outstanding Explorer]
    All car models can be used while moving, I beleive, and Garmins have the option to make it useable whilst moving. The rider 410 has the option of a car mount so obvoiusly it can be used in a car, but can't be operated?? That's crazy! Is there any preference menus? Can I change it so it works while moving. If not tom toms are way behind garmin on their software
    Sorry, forgot to say thanks for your reply
  • BliejeBlieje Posts: 90 [Master Explorer]
    Hello crispey,
    I operate my 400 while driving my car and riding my bike. Load tracks/routes, search for gas stations and so on.
    Never saw an option nor can I find one in the manual that refers to any safety option that can be enabled or disabled...
    thanks for your reply Blieje,
    as the 400 and 410 are the same I don't understand why I have this problem. As soon as I drive off on my motorbike the button to access the menu greys out and becomes unusable so that when i touch it it does not open up the on screen menu. as soon as i stop it becomes accessable again
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    Try maybe a soft reset. Press and hold the ON button, until you hear the drum roll.
    Thank you, I will try this evening
  • BliejeBlieje Posts: 90 [Master Explorer]
    You could check if you obtained a US model.
    I'm not sure but maybe its a "feature" on the other side of the Atlantic like there's no hands free option...
    Any idea how I would know if it's a us model?
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 273 [Exalted Navigator]
    Blieje wrote:
    You could check if you obtained a US model.
    I'm not sure but maybe its a "feature" on the other side of the Atlantic like there's no hands free option...

nope, my 400 works on the bike and in the car mount kit. usa model here.
    i use the car mount to browse gas stations, on the fly, and other things. no problem on the bike either.

strange, try the drumroll, super easy, keep holding the power button. only takes a minute total or so
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi crispey,

Welcome to the Community!

This doesn't sound like normal behaviour to me. I'd recommend you to report this to Customer Service for further investigation.

Cheers, Mikko
    Thanks Mikko, Joel , I'll try the forced restart when I get home and see what happens
    Just to be clear it's the menu button and the + and - at the bottom left of the screen that greys out.
    Hi all, I've done a soft restart and all seems alright. Thanks for all your help
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 273 [Exalted Navigator]
    Great news!! Drums are your friend, always a first step.