Closed Roads - is this info part of Traffic? — TomTom Community

Closed Roads - is this info part of Traffic?

rich2000rich2000 Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
Hi,

I was just planning a trip to the alps on the Tom Tom GO iPhone app (v1.4) and noticed it's routing me via a closed alpine pass - it's the Silvretta Hochalpenstrasse which is closed from October-June.

Is the status of such roads part of the traffic info? If so, will it just update when I get closer? And is there anyway to stop Tom Tom using this road in the first place?

If it does get the closure info with traffic, then (based on the radius it's showing traffic for when I browse the map) it should re-route me in time and I just have a misleading ETA until that point. There are situations where this simply won't work though.....

Cheers

Rich

Comments

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    Technically speaking, it should be part of it, but wouldn't be the first time (or last) that it happens. If you spot anything like that, you could report it via the MSR tool's "blocked road" feature. Link in my signature. But yes, it supposed to be part of the service.
    1f2d5572-5f04-4055-8825-f905aa026367.png

It is definitely on the Android app too.
  • rich2000rich2000 Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    OK - I went to the Map Share Blocked road reporter, and saw it was already included, and I also see it on the web as EthoZ pointed out. So, TomTom definitely know about it, but it's just not coming up on my phone:
    cf144f31-b1fb-40fc-9613-5ddcf1dec525.png

I'm guessing this is because I only see traffic info within a certain radius of my current location?:
    7ded2e88-117a-4f7f-b2b2-0ff00f9cbfc9.png

...which makes sense for unannounced closures, but for something planned it doesn't.

Is there anyway to force it to look at traffic from a wider area?

Cheers

Rich
  • [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Supreme Navigator]
    rich2000 wrote:
    I'm guessing this is because I only see traffic info within a certain radius of my current location?:
    Yes, radius is about 120 km.
    Is there anyway to force it to look at traffic from a wider area?
    Nope.
    OK, but this doesn't explain why Zsolt can see it....unless Zsoltjust happens to be in the Alps right now!
    It is called Fake GPS :)
    Ah, the advantages of android!

I'll report this an issue though. It's a sensible compromise for traffic and unannounced closures but it doesn't work for announced closures. E.g. if I were driving to Copenhagen, I could either take the Storebaelt bridge, or fork off at Hamburg to take the Puttgarden-Rodby Ferry... They're comparable time-wise, but the bridge is a much longer drive. If I went for the bridge and it were closed, my TomTom wouldn't tell me until around Schlewsig. At that point, all my options then involve a ferry and around an extra 150km on my journey compared to if I'd just gone for the Puttgarten-Rodby Ferry.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Rich,

Welcome to the Community!

Thanks for reporting this! Our devices and apps indeed don't consider traffic incidents far away from your location as often they're likely to resolve by the time you get there. This is of course not the case in a temporary closure as in your case but the app is checking for faster routes every minute and will re-route you in time to get around the closure as it comes within range. You can try this by planning the route with MyDrive (mydrive.tomtom.com). You might also try shorter routes around the closure.

If you ran into a situation where the re-routing doesn't work as I described above, please, report it to Customer Service with relevant details. They can then forward it to the product team for further investigation.

Thanks, Mikko
  • UrielUriel Posts: 598 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Planned closures is an area I feel Tomtom Traffic needs to significantly improve on.

The traffic detection radius is in the region of 80 miles / 120 km. On fairly direct highways and motorways that's less than two hour's drive away.

I'm aware of two other navigation services / apps that license their Traffic info from Tomtom and both can detect and route around closures within any realistic journey you are likely to do in a day. Neither uses signifiantly more data for traffic than Tomtom Go does (but it has to be said - TT Go is by far the most 'agile' (instantly recalculating the route on the fly) when the traffic situation changes where as the other apps seem to check for alternative routes periodically.

I understand Tomtom's design on jams - which are usually transient and it makes sense to switch to predictions instead of live traffic beyond a certain distance. But closures can be show stopping and making an early decision about the route can prevent this from happening.

There must be a better way than the current radius system for detection of closures. Perhaps including closures with no other traffic info at a greater distance? Perhaps something that can actively scan the full proposed route?

If you're on a smartphone, distant closures are shown in MyDrive. You can route around by avoiding part of the route or adding via points - but I think we shouldn't have to.
  • MegalosMegalos Posts: 5,825 Superusers
    Absolutely agree that planned road closures should be taken into account, way beyond the current radius threshold.

One possible idea: Scan the entire route only for closed roads. If a closed part is found, an alternative should be calculated and that one should be scanned again for closed roads. This should be repeated until the new route does not have any closed sections anymore.
    Hi all,

Could you provide some actual examples of situations where this affects routing so I can forward them for further investigation, please? The following information would be helpful:
    • Route planning settings used (type/avoid):
    • Start point of a route where this was observed:
    • End Point of the same route:
    • Time (date/time) when you drove the route:
    • Map version on your device/app:
    • Software version on your device/app:
    • Screenshot showing the problem, if possible
    • Link to the same route in MyDrive

Thanks, Mikko
  • acid-dropacid-drop Posts: 116 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    The 120km radius is plain stupid from the start.
    If you are in the south of England, you get traffic from the north of France, how usefull is that ?

I understand they can't download all traffic events, that would be too much for our devices, which are not fast, nor have good memory ...
    but I guess they could come with a more clever system, at least 200km forward and only 20km for the reverse direction for traffic. 1000km for closed road.

Just one example how this can be important ?
    Going from Cologne to Wroclaw:
    f07be02c-53c5-4f96-b0c7-3d9c1482e159.png

It's clear traffic is important when the 3 options are VERY different and yet almost using the same amount of time.
    The important decision is at the start, you can't change your mind 500km later.
    They are not allowed to hold your details (data privacy), hence they don't know where you are going to. It is just a local information on your device. As the service is provided from an online server, they can only send it to your destination + whatever radius. Also I think the 120 km radius is extended on the latest devices/apps, as one can have traffic info from London to Birmingham and a bit over, which is more than 120 km.
    if i'm not mistaken, there is a question when you buy the device, if you are ok to share some details.
    But i get your concern.
    They could simply create a cone shape toward your direction. It's not a privacy leak to know you're going west or east.
    Hi acid-drop,

Thanks for your feedback!

Can you elaborate a bit on how your route example above would benefit from a larger traffic radius? From what I can see there are two incidents on the alternative routes and one of them is several hours of drive away and very likely to be resolved by the time you get there. Or am I missing something here?

Regarding the information you share with us, please see tomtom.com/yourdata

Cheers, Mikko
  • MegalosMegalos Posts: 5,825 Superusers
    Hi Mikko, I think this is mainly about road closures, not so much about traffic jams. Road closures are not likely to be resolved within a few hours. It goes for any journey that has multiple main routes, and where one has to choose which route already from the start (as halfway there may not be connections between the other main routes).
    Hi Megalos,

To my knowledge road closures are taken into account also beyond the traffic radius when planning a route. If you come across a situation where this doesn't happen, please provide the details I've listed above so that we can take a look at it.

Thanks, Mikko
    >Can you elaborate a bit on how your route example above would benefit from a larger traffic radius? From what I can see there are two incidents on the alternative routes and one of the is several hours of drive away and very likely to be resolved by the time you get there. Or am I missing something here?

when I leave cologne, if there is an accident after 125km that either blocks the road or has a 52min traffic jam, i'm stuck.
    If i knew from the start i could take the other road easy.
    When you cross switzerland in winter, this can become super critical

>To my knowledge road closures are taken into account also beyond the traffic radius when planning a route.
    Please double check, I don't think this is the case
    I think the road closures are taken into account outside of the 120+ km radius (it seems more like 200 km), BUT not on the entire route (as they don't know it), but up to a bit further AND on the major roads only. That is my understanding.
    MikkoK wrote:
    To my knowledge road closures are taken into account also beyond the traffic radius when planning a route.
    That is complete nonsens:

2e2ba5d0-e96a-4bac-9080-a39c622af272.jpg
    f2ad6164-79b3-4b9b-807a-7483cb50c078.jpg
    4b349302-1c1f-4432-a38f-1194f42557bf.jpg
    Hi Ethoz,

Thanks for the example!

MyDrive indeed seems to route around the closure but GO Mobile doesn't. I'll report this to the product team.

Cheers, Mikko
    Zsolt wrote:
    I think the road closures are taken into account outside of the 120+ km radius (it seems more like 200 km),

eb984b27-45b0-4850-a546-1edca77193f7.jpg
    7c3159ce-3f5c-4a5d-bb4f-3965de93a013.jpg
    72efcc82-18cf-4f8d-a1b2-672940d95df9.jpg
    06a873d6-dde6-4c8f-a1d9-10b86b4896dc.jpg
    Is L3035 a main road?
    Zsolt wrote:
    Is L3035 a main road?
    It's a Landesstraße (L). :cool: