Alert to all Go5100 owners, failing battery and failing mount — TomTom Community

Alert to all Go5100 owners, failing battery and failing mount

Hi all,

I would just like to alert all GO5100 owners that if you are experiencing the following issues with your TomTom GO5100, you are not alone!

- the "click and go" mount fails: The problem is over a period of 12 hours (or overnight), the mount will start to droop out of the upright position so the gps will face downwards. This also happens more rapidly when the car accelerates or decelerates quickly. This is very annoying as I often come back to the gps facing downwards or continually have to correct the position while driving making it extremely dangerous to use whilst driving.
The mount was previously been replaced once already earlier this year by TomTom Australia as the original mount that came with the device (in June 2015) experienced the same problem. Now the replacement mount has started to fail in the same fashion in just under 7 months time. This leads me to believe that the mount itself is inherently poorly designed and unable to withstand the Australian climate, it is expected perform in.

- Battery failing to hold its charge once undocked: As soon as you take it off the mount, thereby disconnecting it from it's power source, the device will stay on for about 10 seconds before saying that it doesn't have enough battery and shuts down rapidly afterwards. This means I am unable to take the device off the mount to hand to my passengers to type in their address or even take the device off and type it in myself as the device's battery is unable to hold it's charge.

When I informed TomTom CS about this issue the best solution they could come up with was that to repair the device's battery and replace the mount. I then informed them that this was unsatisfactory as it is clearly a design flaw in the mount as it had been replaced once and its replacement was experiencing the same problem as the original mount. They then acknowledge that this fault/flaw was evident in the 6000/6100 but this was the first case they had seen with the 5000/5100 model. Their only solution seems to keep replacing the mounts until either ACL's statutory consumer guarantee "runs out" or till you give up and bin the god forsaken thing.

This is why I'm posting this so other owners who are experiencing similar faults with their mounts can speak up as well.

Luckily for me, with plenty of phone calls to ACCC, NSW Fair Trading and my retailer whom I purchased it from, I was given a full refund for the product.

I expect a lot more from a globally recognised company.

Comments

• meedermeeder Posts: 169 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    - the "click and go" mount fails: The problem is over a period of 12 hours (or overnight), the mount will start to droop out of the upright position so the gps will face downwards. This also happens more rapidly when the car accelerates or decelerates quickly. This is very annoying as I often come back to the gps facing downwards or continually have to correct the position while driving making it extremely dangerous to use whilst driving.
    The mount was previously been replaced once already earlier this year by TomTom Australia as the original mount that came with the device (in June 2015) experienced the same problem. Now the replacement mount has started to fail in the same fashion in just under 7 months time. This leads me to believe that the mount itself is inherently poorly designed and unable to withstand the Australian climate, it is expected perform in.

The mount isn't the best of designs, Garmin does it a lot better in that aspect. For me it is usually when it is cold that the mount will move. I will probably try to modify the ball joint a bit so it will be a bit stiffer.
  • peppertravelpeppertravel Posts: 11 [Apprentice Traveler]
    meeder wrote:
    The mount isn't the best of designs, Garmin does it a lot better in that aspect. For me it is usually when it is cold that the mount will move. I will probably try to modify the ball joint a bit so it will be a bit stiffer.

To say the mount isnt the best design is a massive understatement. It is clearly a flawed design if it's moving when it's not meant to, especially within the expected minimum lifespan of the device.
  • JohnnyCyprusJohnnyCyprus Posts: 21 [Master Explorer]
    Regarding the problem of the go 5100 battery becoming discharged just a few seconds after disconnection from the car dock or computer:

I experienced this problem right from the outset of ownership. Recently I decided to replace the battery myself and now the charge is held for a considerable time after disconnection and the device is generally more stable with brighter screen display.

Don't ask me why the display should improve, but I suspect this model had duff batteries installed from new.
  • marcuspmstewartmarcuspmstewart Posts: 54 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I agree: my 5100 has never worked for any significant time away from power supply. Whatever TT might claim - have they addressed this? - it's an inadequate battery or technical flaw. Mine indicates low battery within seconds or minutes of removal from charge, then shuts down, when it should be full. As you're supposed to be able to use it on foot, this is wholly unacceptable.
  • bigbig Posts: 1,628
    Superuser
    In case you are keeping the device mounted on the windscreen all the time please note the high temperature inside a closed car is enough to seriously deplete the life of the battery. In extreme temperatures, especially on a warm sunny day, I bring the unit inside. Battery still just fine. I also notice the mount seems to loosen in extreme heat.

No idea if these are your issues, so just a data point, perhaps.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,854
    Superuser
    Are you using a USB port in your vehicle?
    As the USB ports in your vehicle provides only 0.5Amps whereas your device should have 1.2Amps to run AND charge the battery. With a vehicle USB port the reduced power means that the device tries to save it's power requirements by dimming the screen, reducing power to the SIM thus dropping traffic info, and, it then sleeps.
    Try plugging the original cable into the original cigarette lighter charger, does it then keep sleeping?
    Thanks - although as so many report battery problems there's clearly a defect or it's inadequate for the job.
  • LarsbolgannLarsbolgann Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    My go 5100 has got the same problem after a few years.

I suppose the units "lifetime free card update" ensures a very SHORT lifetime.:wink:

Will try to replace the battery.
    It seems relatively easy, when you are looking at some youtube videos.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,406
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Larsbolgann
    Larsbolgann : Will try to replace the battery.
    It seems relatively easy, when you are looking at some youtube videos.
    The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... [1]... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    (2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See...(1)
    (3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info

Note... (1} At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services

As a test... Try using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter
    The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/go-61-brightness-problems-1025607?postid=1177429

ATB YFM
    I also use a Garmin - and have never had a problem with the battery. That too is in the same hot car in the summer. So whatever evasive 'fixes' TT suggests, the battery is either insufficient for the task, the software is defective and somehow depletes the battery, or both. I've replaced the battery in my 5100 with an identical one, thinking it might be defective, but I have the same problem: virtually no off-charge operation. (Yes, I'm using the USB charger it came with in the car for 1.2 A charging, and the device shows the battery is fully charged) It's simply unusable on foot/push bike.

I wonder if the same battery's used in the 5200/6200?
    PS I find the magnetic mount with my 5100 poorly designed 'cos the plug is at its rear, not the side or front, so if you unplug it from behind, its a devil to plug it back in without removing the mount so you can see the socket, as it's a tight fit and feeling for the socket rarely works. Garmin does its mounts better.
    Superusers
    Hi
    @marcuspmstewart

Battery life according to the Tomtom Website... Up to 1 Hour
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/products/go-5200/

Maybe use a Power Bank....
    I drove from Worcestershire to the British MotoGP Silverstone and back using GO 520 and a 5200 mAh Power Bank
    The Power Bank has 4 LEDs indicating charge state only one LED had turned off (I guess minus 25%)

Just now the GO 520 says Worcestershire to Silverstone 70 miles... 1 Hour 24 minute + Return journey... 3hrs

Never has a problem with any Tomtom Mount...

I never unplug the leads from the mounts (Use different leads for updating)
    I've tied the cable into a strain relief loop around the pillar of the mount, and use a Velcro cable strap to keep the cable tidy

c318f557-a0ed-4563-b35f-56919006f97f.jpg
    ATB YFM
    Hi YFM: Thanks for yours. No, I know one COULD use other leads and not unplug - but why not a better design? Yes, I realise the TT should work up to 1h off charge - but I, like so many others, get a tiny fraction of that, virtually none at all. Essentially the thing is neither as advertised nor fit for what it claims - any off-charge functionality. Otherwise I like the device. As I say, a roughly equivalent Garmin has no such battery limitation - so this is a TT problem, not generic to these devices...
  • mrpj3mrpj3 Posts: 132 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Maybe Tomtom have been liaising with Apple re their batteries and software?:joy:
    Superusers
    Hi

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

ATB YFM
    TFM: Thanks - but why have walk and cycle routing in the choices? Surely these are for those modes of transport, where necessarily one is off-charge? I think you're quite wrong, therefore. If, as is apparently claimed by TT, the device can be used up to 1 hr off-charge (for these purposes), which would be reasonable, that claim is untenable.

A device that cannot store a charge for at least 15 mins worth of off-charge use is poor. And, as I keep stating, why can my Garmin do that?
  • bokabilbokabil Posts: 40 [Outstanding Explorer]
    The GO 5000 I bought end of 2016 is now experiencing this "charging" issue. At this point, I'm not sure if its the charger failing (its the Tomtom charger that came in the box) or its the battery failing. I'll investigate soon. Problem appeared in the last 3 weeks or so, right around the time this heatwave we have here started.
    Today I replaced the battery on my GO 5000... charging issue seems to be fixed now.
  • shadowchasershadowchaser Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, I have experienced exactly the same problem with my TomTom Go 5100 as described by Peppertravel. In most vehicles, I can attach the mount low enough on the windscreen so that the GPS sits almost on the dash with the cable tucked beneath to avoid any direct -contact vibration. However, the inability of the battery to hold its charge despite charging with a TomTom cable and a properly rated power source is quite frustrating. Like Peppertravel's unit, mine switches off as soon as it is removed from the the charging lead, with a message stating that the battery is exhausted after just a few seconds. I have to resort to a portable power pack to maintain reliable operation, since even a slight fluctuation in power output in the vehicle, such as when initiating headlights or running wipers and indicators simultaneously can cause the TomTom to switch off, given that the GPS battery cannot supply replacement current.
    bokabil wrote: »
    Today I replaced the battery on my GO 5000... charging issue seems to be fixed now.

Darn, so the "charging" issue on my GO 5000 is still present! My device is set to "Sleep automatically when Power is lost". I say I have a charging issue because while driving, I get the "going to sleep" message from time to time. Charger/cable I'm using is always the one that came from Tomtom.

Here's my analysis so far:
    1. Battery problem - I already replaced the battery and issue is still there. The new battery holds charge longer so I get the issue less frequently but it is still present.

2. Charger/cable problem - If I connect the cable directly to the GPS device, then "going to sleep" message doesn't appear... so no issue here. Obviously, this cannot be a solution as I need the GPS mounted.

3. Mount problem - Cable is connected to the mount and GPS device is "mounted". The issue appears particularly when I go over bumps or potholes, uneven country roads sometimes. Cable/mount connection feels pretty snug. I suspect Device/mount connection is the problem, over-time after a lot of removing/putting on the Device, the connection has loosened.

Most of the time, I simply ignore the "going to sleep" message but it can be annoying when you need visual confirmation at an interchange. I could disable the automatic-sleep feature but then I always forget to manually sleep the device when I get out.

Question for Tomtom, when power is "lost", how many seconds before the device decides that it is lost and it goes to sleep? Can this be somehow delayed so that short/temporary loss is ignored, I suppose it's only a SW change. Obviously, you guys have to improve robustness of the mount but this could be a simple workaround.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,888
    Superuser
    Hi @bokabil

I has problems with the mount on my GO5000 some time ago and to resolve the issue pending receipt of a replacement I removed the end of the Mount where it was obscuring the micro USB socket on the bottom of the GO5000 whilst it was on the mount. I was still able to use the unit on the mount but the cable was connected directly to the unit.

I kept the modified mount and used it for quite a while. One advantage of this arrangement is you can leave the cable connected.

Doug
    Superusers
    edited August 2019
    Hi
    @bokabil

Charge the device for at least 2 Hours....

The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power
    As a test...
    Try using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter

The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

ATB YFM
    Superusers
    Hi
    @bokabil

Battery Status....

Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) button... On the Menu Screen top right is a battery status Icon
    Charging... Displays when Connected to a Power supply
    368fa599-f465-4a45-9274-b2b29b56a6d1.jpg
    Full Charge... Displays when Connected or Not Connected Power supply
    ebebfcff-7cf3-43d5-9479-ef4b7f2a85ed.jpg
    Half Charge... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply
    5c45ac4c-1a65-45a0-9b3b-8b88879a94cc.jpg
    Low Battery... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply
    29b0c6f3-11f1-4d8f-9543-eef314472a31.jpg
    One of the worst things you can do to a Lithium battery is to run it flat so at a certain percentage of discharge (Unspecified)... The device will go into 'Power Saving Mode' the screen will dull, and the device will eventually turn itself off (Not Sleep)

There is a Battery Status display available on the devices Status Screen
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound Continue to hold the on/off button until the Black & White Status screen is shown.....
    c3623f43-813f-4ddf-9e35-af42824c5331.jpg
    If you are worrying about the device charging, you might consider one of these gadgets
    63a11bd6-9bcb-49ec-b71b-9223d7c334dd.jpgOr

b23e2fef-ffbf-4127-80b0-646533d6f987.jpg
    Simply plug the device into the USB socket and plug your lead into the USB Doctor, the device will display the Voltage and Power being used by your various USB devices
    I have one of each type they're only peanuts to buy, search Amazon/eBay for USB Doctor

ATB YFM
    Hi YFM,
    Thank you for your replies but did you even read my message?

I already mentioned in my post that charger/cable are from Tomtom... and then you suggest that I "test with Tomtom adapter"... what for?

I also said that I've installed a new battery, I'm quite sure battery is not the problem. And then you post a long message about battery status, etc. which I think don't apply in my case.
    Hi Doug,
    I noticed it too that the mount blocks the power port on the GPS. It is actually my plan to chop this off so cable goes direct to device. Keep this config until its time to buy a new device. I'm put off buying a new mount for my device as its relatively "old" and the new devices have a different mount.
    Thanks,
    bokabil
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @bokabil

I has problems with the mount on my GO5000 some time ago and to resolve the issue pending receipt of a replacement I removed the end of the Mount where it was obscuring the micro USB socket on the bottom of the GO5000 whilst it was on the mount. I was still able to use the unit on the mount but the cable was connected directly to the unit.

I kept the modified mount and used it for quite a while. One advantage of this arrangement is you can leave the cable connected.

Doug