Phone notification update for Spark+music

Blisso
Blisso Registered Users Posts: 1
New Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I bought my Spark in March 2016 and the salesman from harvey Norman told me that the watch was going to get updates to make it a sort of smart watch which got phone notifications etc but nothing like that has happened. Was it meant to happen or was he just talking rubish just to get me to buy the watch over a fitbit?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,935
    Superuser
    Blisso wrote:
    I bought my Spark in March 2016 and the salesman from harvey Norman told me that the watch was going to get updates to make it a sort of smart watch which got phone notifications etc but nothing like that has happened. Was it meant to happen or was he just talking rubish just to get me to buy the watch over a fitbit?

It was planned for release in 2016 but they had issues that pushed it back. It is still supposed to happen eventually, but we will see. I expect when implemented it will be like the touch which simply notifies you that your phone is ringing or a text arrived. No other apps interact with it and you do not get any information on the screen, it simply notifies you to look at your phone. It will also require your phone and watch to constantly keep a BT connection open so I expect it will be a major battery drain.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Diegogb
    Diegogb Registered Users Posts: 10
    Outstanding Explorer
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    Blisso wrote:

It was planned for release in 2016 but they had issues that pushed it back. It is still supposed to happen eventually, but we will see. I expect when implemented it will be like the touch which simply notifies you that your phone is ringing or a text arrived. No other apps interact with it and you do not get any information on the screen, it simply notifies you to look at your phone. It will also require your phone and watch to constantly keep a BT connection open so I expect it will be a major battery drain.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.

iI hope it doesn´t get implemented in this way, at least knowing who is calling/texting is important.
  • srasse12
    srasse12 Registered Users Posts: 33
    Prominent Wayfarer
    They actually advertised it with the original Spark in 2015 but here I am still waiting..........
  • ASmugDill
    ASmugDill Registered Users Posts: 550
    Apprentice Traveler
    Diegogb wrote:
    at least knowing who is calling/texting is important.

The feature was originally marketed thus: “See who's calling or messaging while you work out.
  • Svvenn
    Svvenn Registered Users Posts: 7
    Legendary Explorer
    ASmugDill wrote:
    Diegogb wrote:
    at least knowing who is calling/texting is important.

The feature was originally marketed thus: “See who's calling or messaging while you work out.

Unbelievable..
  • jcrespin72
    jcrespin72 Registered Users Posts: 28
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    waiting and waiting and waiting......
  • elbo
    elbo Registered Users Posts: 49
    Apprentice Traveler
    I don't know anything anout the sales figures of the spark/runner watches and maybe TomTom is very pleased with them.

What I do know/see is that more and more people are dissatisfied by their watch. If you look at the comments under dcrainmakers review, its started with 'I want this watch', then went to 'I hope they soon fix the issues' to lately 'Don't buy this watch!'. That should trouble TomTom.

To bad. I really like the combination of a basic sportwatch, activitytracker and mp3 player in one, but most of the functions are barely working, and they need to deliver the promised phone notifications to stand a change against the competion.

I hope they can get their act together, but in the mean time I discourage people to buy a TomTom watch.
  • ASmugDill
    ASmugDill Registered Users Posts: 550
    Apprentice Traveler
    elbo wrote:
    I really like the combination of a basic sportwatch, activitytracker and mp3 player in one, but most of the functions are barely working, and they need to deliver the promised phone notifications to stand a change against the competion.

I hope they can get their act together, but in the mean time I discourage people to buy a TomTom watch.
    Not that I've ever recommended TomTom wearable devices to anyone in my social circle, after my experience with the TomTom Spark Cardio + Music, but I have to confess: even as recently as February 2017, I seriously considered buying a TomTom Spark Music, knowing full well its flaws and shortcomings.

You see, my girlfriend started running casually with me two or three times a week in recent months, and using my running watch to monitor her pace instead of mine got a bit tiresome, so I wanted to get her something that would let her time her runs and monitor her pace herself – and review the GPS trace and the run stats on a tablet or computer afterwards. She:
    • didn't want a wearable device for all-day wear, so the clunky physical design and the lack of clock screen customisation options wouldn't bother her;
    • had no need for HR tracking, and in any case I have a ‘spare’ chest strap HRM that can transmit over both ANT+ and Bluetooth Smart, which works OK with a TomTom Spark;
    • doesn't care for step count, calorie and/or sleep tracking, and in fact discontinued the use of her old optical HR-enabled activity tracker and donated it to her mother's all-Apple-and-Fitbit household, so the Spark's grossly inaccurate steps counting and useless sleep tracking wouldn't bother her;
    • doesn't engage in group participation of challenges, or sharing activity records socially (even with me), and so isn't locked in by any ecosystem or constrained by lack of fitness tracking platform interoperability; and
    • uses a Windows Phone handset, so she doesn't expect smartphone notifications to work, even if TomTom didn't fail so completely to deliver in that regard.

I saw the TomTom Spark Music on special offer for ~A$120 (~US$93) at the time, and from what I remembered the Spark's GPS performance was sufficiently competent for the casual runner (like her and myself); the on-board music playback capability would be a bonus. Alas, the retailer only had units with the large wrist band in stock, which wouldn't fit her and I certainly wasn't going to get a small replacement wrist band for it as well at a higher total cost of ownership.

There is still a place for the TomTom Spark family of products in the market today, but probably not where TomTom would like to position it.
  • Mordzy
    Mordzy Registered Users Posts: 12
    Master Explorer
    I actually really like my watch. I dont have any problems with it and like it much better than the Fitbit i had. However, phone notifications would be great. Even if its just whos calling.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    Phone notifications are coming this month. It will just be who is calling and who is texting from the native phone apps (no What's app, FB Messenger, etc.).
  • Cal Yeo
    Cal Yeo Registered Users Posts: 4
    Master Traveler
    TomTom has finally released the notifications feature along with other features:

http://corporate.tomtom.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1038687

I can confirm that the notifications actually work. Even for my TomTom Spark Cardio + Music, which is the previous model. I'm quite happy to see that TomTom are picking up and have also introduced Fitness Age and Fitness Points, which look promising.

Do note however as per the previous post that only standard messages and phone calls are notified on the watch, so it's of limited use. If you look at the press release it appears to be intended, but since other smartwatch brands support other notifications on iOS, it should be possible for TomTom as well.
  • Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,180
    Community Manager
    Cal Yeo wrote:
    TomTom has finally released the notifications feature along with other features:

http://corporate.tomtom.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1038687

I can confirm that the notifications actually work. Even for my TomTom Spark Cardio + Music, which is the previous model. I'm quite happy to see that TomTom are picking up and have also introduced Fitness Age and Fitness Points, which look promising.

Do note however as per the previous post that only standard messages and phone calls are notified on the watch, so it's of limited use. If you look at the press release it appears to be intended, but since other smartwatch brands support other notifications on iOS, it should be possible for TomTom as well.
    This is a phased roll-out so the update is not yet offered to everyone.
  • Rado
    Rado Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Do you have a due date when new firmware will be fully distributed to all TT Spark Cardio Music users?
  • carlonches
    carlonches Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Does anyone knows when is call/message notification rolling out? We are now in October and yet it hasn't happened. Bought the watch 18 months hopping this was a nearby release (and innovative) and now is just standard across every device yet TomTom doesn't release it.
  • MichaelProcter
    MichaelProcter Registered Users Posts: 41
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    It has been rolled out in the U.K. I'm now waiting for the personalised workouts 1.17 to be rolled out, and the bluetooth connectivity issues sorted.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    carlonches wrote:
    Does anyone knows when is call/message notification rolling out? We are now in October and yet it hasn't happened. Bought the watch 18 months hopping this was a nearby release (and innovative) and now is just standard across every device yet TomTom doesn't release it.

This has already been rolled out to all users. Yours may be an older model that is not getting the update or you may have not plugged into a computer to get prompted for the update It only gives notifications of calls and texts using the native apps (no Facebook, What's App, etc.) and it must be enabled in the settings in the app.