Cost of Live Traffic service — TomTom Community

Cost of Live Traffic service

Duncan BristolDuncan Bristol Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
Why does it cost so much to renew the Live Traffic service on Go 1005 when it is a free service on new devices that cost less than I originally paid? Is this to encourage us to buy new Sat Navs? I would not mind paying a reasonable sum say £15, but nearly £50 is excessive. Can TomTom provide a reasonable answer?

Comments

• marcelgmarcelg Posts: 22 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    We have asked that several times, why don't let us pay for reasonable what the new user got for free?, or at last a fair rate, now if you wanna get all services including live , is more or nearly 80€, why not a better rate!, like half or less yearly?
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for bringing this up!

Products and services available for specific products are priced in a way that helps us reach the business targets of these products considering the market conditions at the time of launch as well as based on estimates on how the market will develop during the life cycle of the product. While we run campaigns for older products as well, new services and pricing models are usually introduced together with a new product range.

Should you be interested in upgrading to one of our latest models, please contact Customer Service for loyalty offer :D Check out the video below for a sneak preview of what our latest models have to offer (in addition to Lifetime Maps, TomTom Traffic and Speed Cameras):

[video]

Cheers, Mikko
  • AtomsAtoms Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    So in answer to Duncan's question, yes TomTom does want us to purchase a new Sat Nav. I have exactly the same issue, there is nothing wrong with my current Go 540, but do I want to keep paying out £47.50 each year. I think the HD traffic is great and has saved my many hours travelling to work and back, when it does work (doesn't seem to like low cloud bases !) I didn't want to pair my iphone with the satnav to gain traffic on a newer Satnav. But the new 5200, with Sim, is better, but will cost approx. £250 (on the web) to replace, which is approx. 5 years of live on my current 540. Then I probably won't be able to update 5200 !! I agree £15, or even £20 is much more reasonable
  • [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Revered Navigator]
    Atoms wrote:
    But the new 5200, with Sim, is better, but will cost approx. £250 (on the web) to replace, which is approx. 5 years of live on my current 540.
    End Of Life
  • AtomsAtoms Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Cheers EthoZ. I knew about the maps, but not the Live services. Although I did try and purchase new Live services and it would let me through to payment. I didn't want to pay, as I didn't want to try and gain a refund. So my only option to buy new then (!)
  • marcelgmarcelg Posts: 22 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    No problem then, i have another kind and better navigation app in my android device, i know for sure that they will miss users for that reason, if they don't care!, i don't care too!, my Tomtom is not too old to buy a new one!
  • segillumsegillum Posts: 19 [Outstanding Explorer]
    What vexes me is that there is no option to buy LIVE services for UK only. I don't drive in Europe and consequently don't want anything other than live traffic information for the UK. But TomTom in its wisdom doesn't provide that option.
  • StevedawStevedaw Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Really bad P.R Tom Tom.Look after your customers and stop this deplorable after sales service!!!
  • burtonm757burtonm757 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Why does it cost so much to renew the Live Traffic service on Go 1005 when it is a free service on new devices that cost less than I originally paid? Is this to encourage us to buy new Sat Navs? I would not mind paying a reasonable sum say £15, but nearly £50 is excessive. Can TomTom provide a reasonable answer
  • burtonm757burtonm757 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The problem is Tom Tom wants you to buy their new products and therefore tunnel you into paying over the odds to force a sale. This is a tactic used by insurance companys by offering a cheaper first year and a hiking the price after that. Nobody values loyal customers and it's all about making money. That the truth behind it. Even if you did have a device with life time traffic and maps, the moment it gets dicontinued the free stuff stops and then it's all paid for again. It would be intresting to see how many new sat navs come onto the market in the coming years and how long it takes to discontinue models from free services that are past 3-5 years.
  • HarllequinHarllequin Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    So what about built in infotainment systems. Have I got to rip out my dashboard!!! Why is the cost for live £55 for the Mazda built in systems.