iPhone connecting and disconnecting

Hi,
I'm using a Tomtom GO 50 with iOS 10.2. I've recently replaced my phone and now I get continuous messages of 'phone connected' and 'lost connection'. I've looked at other answers on here and have reset both the Tomtom and the network settings on my phone.
This didn't happen with my last phone which was exactly the same

Comments

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 6,230 [Moderator]
    Hi Hw3205

Welcome to the community:)

We have received similar complaints about the device connection with the iPhone not being stable.

I would recommend you to please report this to the customer service so they can forward this to the concerned team for investigation.

Please include your phone specifications, software version when you contact them.

Sorry about the inconvenience caused.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • darren2907darren2907 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Has this issue been resolved now please? I have the same problem..
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 [Retired Community Staff Employee]
    Hi Darren,

Welcome to the Community!

This issue is still under investigation. As we're getting very few reports of this we'd appreciate if you could report this to Customer Service. They can gather the required details to help out technicians in the investigation.

Thanks, Mikko
  • bigbig Posts: 1,464 [Superuser]
    Usually backing up the phone, totally wiping the phone as new, installing the TomTom app FIRST and making the connection, then restoring the phone back works. But it's a bit extreme! though if you don't have many apps it's not too bad.
  • RodaBoundRodaBound Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same problem called customer service they said they will get back to me with a solution I need to know if it can be fixed or I might as well return go 50 for refund!
    Hi all,

We released a new software update yesterday. Could you update you devices, please, and post back here whether you see improvement with Bluetooth® connectivity?

Thanks, Mikko
  • BigwollishBigwollish Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    updated to the new software and still the same problem. I'm using an iPhone 6
  • The engineermanThe engineerman Posts: 26 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I have had this issue for 6 months or so now. I raised an Incident Report with TomTom on 28th November 2016, but despite initial back and forth comment I haven't heard anything from them recently.

My issue is this: after making an initial connection with TomTom and the car's infotainment system, after a period of 10 mins or so the connection to both the Tomtom and the car fails. After two mins or so it comes back again to both, then after another 2 mins or so it fails again. If you take the TomTom out of the equation the connection to the car stays solid all the time.

The car, iPhone and TomTom are all up to date software wise and all types of resetting have been carried out many, many times.

Having had a TomTom since the very first one came out, the old classic that looked like a mini CRT TV, it is now time for me to go elsewhere for my navigation equipment.
    What connection to the car do you have?
    The iPhone SE Bluetooths to the car infotainment system, providing phone calls and music through the car speakers. Phone also Bluetooths to TomTom via personal hotspot.
    What you need to be sure of is that the car only tries to use bluetooth for audio and calls. If there's anything which tries to make an internet connection (some cars do that to save diagnostic information, for example) then you'll have a problem. While you can have multiple simultaneous bluetooth connections you can only have one type of bluetooth connection at a time -- in other words you can't have two simultaneous audio connections, two internet connections etc. Bluetooth will act very unpredictably in that case!
    Thanks for your comments,big. As far as I can tell the car doesn't do anything else.
    There definitely have been problems reported (I, myself, had an issue too!) so just trying to narrow it down. I know that for me the only thing which worked was to wipe my iPhone and start from scratch. But for the most part, the bluetooth stuff does work very well with iPhones since there really aren't all that many issues reported here and there are a lot of iPhones out there. I don't know why it breaks on some but not others -- in experimenting with mine all the iPhones I tried worked fine except for one and wiping the iPhone fixed it. Hard to say if it's a TomTom issue or an Apple issue given that.
    Thanks again big. I have restored my iPhone both as a full restore and as new phone a few times each using iTunes. No difference. Have sent diagnostics reports to Apple to check the phone out and all is well with it according to them.

Seems that when I restore or reset network settings on the phone it works well for a day or two, but then the problem always returns.

Only other thing I can think off that might be relevant is when I sit at home with the iPhone and TomTom only connected the MyDrive connection fails then reconnects (when viewed on TomTom menu screen - the cloud icon). It then connects again and all is well. But sometimes when it disconnects that brings down the rest of the Bluetooth connection. But I've tried signing out of MyDrive (the cloud icon disappears) and the main problem persists. So I think that is a red hearing.
    Thanks for the interesting test results! Does seem to point a lot to TomTom but more hardware failure than software. Would TomTom be willing to swap it for another one? Best of luck getting it resolved, sounds like a difficult one!
    Interesting idea. Will ask. Thanks for your help, big.
    Hi The engineerman,

Welcome to the Community!

We've received some similar reports and are investigating the issue. Meanwhile, the following steps have helped many with this issue:
    • Suspend/resume device (quickly press the power button to suspend, then again to resume)
    • Toggle off / Toggle on the Bluetooth profiles in the device's settings > Bluetooth > Phone_Name
    • Soft reset the device (hold the power button until the drums roll)
    • Restart the phone
    • Un-pair / re-pair phone and device
    • Factory reset the device and pair again. To factory reset your device by choosing Settings (cog wheel) - System - Reset - Reset. Please note, that this will delete your personal information, e.g. My Places and destination prediction data. You can save and restore My Places with MyDrive.

I'd also recommend leaving your car radio out of the equation for now.

Should these not help you sort this out, please report the issue to Customer Service.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi MikkiK.

I have done all of the above many times. In addition, I have also reinstalled the TomTom OS too.
    The phone has been checked out by Apple and all is well.
    I can't ignore the car "radio" either, as that is used for telephony whilst driving.
    I have an open incident report with TT customer services, but am getting nowhere with that. It has been open since 28th November.
    As "big" has suggested, the only option left is a hardware fault. Can the TT be swapped out for another?
    Hi The engineerman,

We've received some similar reports so I doubt that this is a hardware issue. We'll ask Customer Service to get back to you with further advise.

Cheers, Mikko
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 6,230 [Moderator]
    Hi The engineerman

I had a quick look at the incident you have started with the customer service. They have already reported this issue to the 2nd Line team and it's under investigation.

Our team is working really hard to get this one resolved and we apologise for the delay. I have also sent a heads up to the customer service team so they will get back to you with more explanation.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
    @The engineerman, I do note you mentioned "the MyDrive connection fails then reconnects" -- that to me seems like it could be a hardware error. Perhaps you can call support and mention this to them.

Also, today a new TomTom MyDrive, version 1.10.0, made its way to the Apple store. Couldn't hurt to try it out to see if it makes a difference.
    big, thanks for your further comments.

Incidentally, for most of the time my problem persisted I did not have the MyDrive app on my phone. However, over the last few weeks I did, and I updated it a day or two ago to the latest version. It didn't make any difference.

I have been in touch with Customer Services and I did indeed tell them about the MyDrive issue. Here is their reply:

"Our technical team advise that the issues you have described very much suggests a Bluetooth limitation on your smartphone meaning it is unable to support or has trouble supporting multiple Bluetooth profiles at one time. This is further suggested by the fact that you are losing connection to the MyDrive server which you see as unavailable whilst the Live Services continue working."

So, it looks as if I will not get any further help from TomTom.

I have an iPhone SE and whilst not being a technical expert I see from:

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/compare/

that the bluetooth section appears to be the same spec as the rest of the iPhones which TomTom say they support (the SE doesn't appear on the list).

Perhaps anyone else with the problem could post here the model of iPhone they have the problem with, together with the TomTom version?
  • JonTom81JonTom81 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same issue started today with my TomTom and an iPhone 7. Latest iOS with all the above steps attempted apart from restoring my phone. I previously had the issue and reset network settings on the iPhone to get it to work but as it's happened again it's frustrating now.....I haven't attempted the reset Of network settings just yet as I want to see if my phone reconnecting between network masts and re registering the data connection will make a difference too however it looks as though it's a Bluetooth issue.....
  • dhndhn Posts: 32,877 [Superusers]
    See what support has to say:

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • semajbsemajb Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi,

Is there a solution to this? My 510 continually connects, disconnects and reconnects to my iPhone 6s - the interval seems too regular to be a hardware issue, must be software. Have done all the steps recommended, including a factory reset, and it has no effect.

Thanks

James