Adventurer: 1st Thoughts and issues — TomTom Community

Adventurer: 1st Thoughts and issues

shaft120shaft120 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Adventurer
Ok, so I 'upgraded' to the Adventurer having previously had the Spark 2 (GPS/MP3/HR). I'd only had the Spark 2 for 4 weeks when TomTom announced the launch of the 3 and Adventurer, so returned the 2 with Amazon and waited for the Adventurer to come out. I liked the Spark 2, but had said when running in Germany, in an area I wasn't familiar with, that I wished it had a way to show you the way home as my sense of direction is rubbish. Hence being very excited about the 3/Adventurer coming out with the 'way back home' feature. I was also hopeful that TomTom had fixed the terrible support problems with Bluetooth headphones. I.e. only working with a handful of products and was hopeful the woeful battery life had been upgraded a little and perhaps the watch itself had reduced in size. As I say, not looking for major improvements, just incremental fixes to known issues and upgrades in line with tech improvements in general. I felt the v2 was nearly there, but just needed a little more to finally see the tech properly useable.

So, what are my thoughts and issues?

First the good...
I'm pleased with the GPX trail loads and the breadcrumbs feature - have to use it more, but seems to work ok.
I love the upload function to 3rd party sites, such as MapMy..... and strava etc.

Now the bad...
There is no improvement in Bluetooth compatibility despite this being the main compliant of all the users of the v2. Why is only TomTom cant get frigging Bluetooth to work? I appreciate small signal strength given the size, but most headsets don't get recognised if they are even physically touching. A total lack of improvement on users main bugbear shows a lack of engagement or care about post sale service. Having MP3 on the watch is great as it means I can lose the phone, but now you can get Bluetooth headsets with MP3 built in, and TomTom seem either unable or careless about getting Bluetooth compatibility problems solved. Their 'flawed' ace up their sleeve compared to other watches is about to become obsolete, so they need to improve the rest.

GPS - Ok, so seems pretty accurate, but now when I select trail run and stand outside waiting to start GPS sometimes takes 5-10 minutes to tell me I can start. This is with full signal. What's that about? I'm hoping it is a miss-use of function by me causing the problem, because if not this is disgracefully poor. I've been embarrassed while friends wait for me to start a run while my watch refuses to connect. Great advertising if you want new sales TomTom. Perhaps somebody can help me on this point?? This is for a new trail run unmapped.

Battery Life - seems to have gotten worse from the v2 somehow if that's possible. I now need to charge it more often than my phone. If you want to use all or even most of the features of the watch (which is presumably why you paid for their premium product), you'd be lucky to get through 1.hr 30mins of use out of the box, and this will presumably degrade over the first 6 months/1 year as all batteries do. If you do any distance sport like a cycle sportive or a marathon, you'd be lucky to use it for anything more than a stopwatch if you want it to last to the end. Luckily I find the watch too bulky to use all the time as a normal watch so I don't make use of the trackers for sleep or walking or heart-rate when not training, but if I did I would have to delay any training I wanted to do just so I could charge my watch in advance!

...This brings me onto my main gripe with the watch. It doesn't yet make my training easier. In fact it is a burden. It's too big to wear every day, so I'll never use the daily trackers. Even if I wanted to they would kill the battery, so I have to turn all the sensors off, and yet still I have to plan my training to make sure I have a charged watch before I go out on any relatively long run or cycle and hope it lasts the distance using partial features. I'm hoping the GPS issues are my fault, but if not, it is shocking that TomTom cant get it to locate quickly; I have to stand waiting to start training looking like an imbecile. All in all I thought the tech was nearly there when I bought the v2, but now TomTom seen to have rested on laurels and made no significant improvements at all. I cant see them keeping their niche offering long enough for a v4 to come along and fix things, and after sales service or firmware improvements have been historically a let down, so I don't hold out much hope. Shame, but perhaps the tech just isnt quite there yet, at least from TomTom.:(

Comments

• HagopmHagopm Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Hey buddy. Your issues suck and I feel for you. My two cents:

I have no problems with Bluetooth. Syncs to my phone fine. I am using MPOW earphones and it linked to the Goshawk and Magneto models with no problems. No issues pairing and great sound quality. As a test I just paired it with my wifi radio on bluetooth mode and that works too.

GPS - no issues, never taken more than 30secs to get a fix. I've tried it in various areas of the UK including London.

Battery - mine is fine, with all sensors on, I can do several short runs with music and use with activity tracker for several days. I expect to charge it once a week.

My main gripe is that the step counter is too sensitive. Before getting out of bed this morning, the watch said I had covered 1.3km that day. I would like to reduce the sensitivity of the step counter.

Maybe return your watch as it sounds like it might have a faulty battery. Hope your issues get resolved :)
  • tt_gttt_gt Posts: 260 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Yes, that battery life indicates some fault, you may want to return it for a replacement. The battery would only be that low if the backlight was constantly on, and you were streaming music.

It should also take over an hour for a full charge from flat. Is that the case for you?

What headsets have you been using that work so poorly?
  • nbrunellnbrunell Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hey, just here to say I have exactly the same problem with the GPS. Have to wait quite long when I want to start running, so what I have to do is to go to the screen where it searches for GPS earlier, hoping it will be ready when I want to start running.

Another issue I have with the GPS is that some of my runs were tracked VERY imprecisely. The track shown in my activities is several 100 meters off compared to where I was actually running. This happens sometimes when running in the mountains (not at all remote locations).
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,812
    Superusers
    nbrunell wrote:
    Hey, just here to say I have exactly the same problem with the GPS. Have to wait quite long when I want to start running, so what I have to do is to go to the screen where it searches for GPS earlier, hoping it will be ready when I want to start running.

Another issue I have with the GPS is that some of my runs were tracked VERY imprecisely. The track shown in my activities is several 100 meters off compared to where I was actually running. This happens sometimes when running in the mountains (not at all remote locations).
    Are you syncing at least every three days to update the QuickGPS data? Without the latest data it will delay attainment.