Dust specs under screen-RIDER 400

R3TR3T Posts: 20 [Master Traveler]
edited May 2018 in RIDER
Hi, I've received a Rider 400 from Santa, it's new in the box and never used, I removed the protective screen and noticed dust particles under the glass screen.

It's noticeable when turned off but not when turned on, I'm due to have it installed on my motorcycle.

Any advice if the dust will be a problem or should I just return it.

Regards

Lawrence

Comments

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    Was it a refurbished edition or a brand new-new? If the latter, I would return it, just in case. Not because the dust should cause trouble, but if you bought it new, there should be no dust inside. Are you sure it is dust though?
  • R3TR3T Posts: 20 [Master Traveler]
    It's brand new, sealed, it looks like tiny flakes of skin, there are 7 specks and all in the bottom right hand corner
    I think you're right, I'm return it for a new replacement, thanks for your help
  • gummimanngummimann Posts: 6 [Novice Seeker]
    Here the same. I got an expensive GO 6200 in Christmas and it also has dust under its screen.

I am very frustrated about that quality.

Did you get a replacement, yet?

And if yes, does it have dust again?

Please let me know.

I'm also thinking about replace, but have fear to get another one with dust. So it would be maybe better to return it and get money back, I think.

Best regards
    Can you take a photo? The GO 6200 is a brand new series even, it would be very interesting to see yet refurbished or re-boxed editions.
    It is very difficult to take a photo of the dust because of the makro. I will try it.

It is a new one from amazon. Or do they sell refurbished as a new one? That would be a scandal.
    Have a look at the description, maybe it is "hidden" somewhere. Usually refurbished TT models are also available, however normally those are clearly marked as such.
    Waht "discription" do you mean? I don't understand.

How is a refurbished marked? Does it have another S/N (serial number) or something like that. I don't know how to find out if my one is a refurbished.
    Usually it is written on its box. You said you have it from Amazon, so there must be some description.
    It was a new one, welded in plastics.

Does TomTom have no cleanroom? I have never so so much dust under a screen.
    Return it then to Amazon to replace it.
    I've returned the Rider and I'm awaiting a replacement from JB Hi-Fi in Canberra where it was purchased, disappointing as this was purchased new and had to be ordered in, interestingly, I sent an email to TomTom plus photos and no response from them as yet
    I'm also waiting for an replacement from Amazon now. But i think or have the fear, that the new one will have the same issue.
    I believe, that the there are problems in the production conditions... dust is a sign of problem with the clean room.

Here the promised picture, the dust is marked:
    Make sure that you also drop a mail to TT CS with the image. Maybe they need to check up on their supplier.
    That exactly the same sort of issue as mine, as I've mentioned I've received no response from TT CS regarding my previous email to them
    They have problems with the production and don't care. great job TomTom :(
    If the new replacement I've ordered comes with the same issue, I'll be getting a refund and I'll buy another brand
    The brand new replacement arrived today and it's perfect, no thanks to TT CS who have not bothered to contact me at all... lucky where it was purchased, ordered me a new replacement
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,469 TomTom Moderator
    Hi R3T

I had a quick look at your account and I see the customer service did reply to the incident you started. You will find their reply when you link on this link

It could be possible that the response sent may have gone into the spam folder or deleted by mistake.

Happy to know that the replacement device is in a good condition and sorry for the inconvenience caused...

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.