More Complex Intervals Training — TomTom Community

More Complex Intervals Training

alaimposteuralaimposteur Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
Hi,
I love my Tomtom runner 2: good pricing, good UX, very simple to use. I had advised it to at least 3 people in the past. But now that I have made some progress, I really think of changing to competition just because it is not possible to program more complex intervals training (like pyramidal, or just two different type of intervals in one session). The possibility offered is really too simple and doesn't fit with training schedules that one can buy on internet. This evolution is *so* simple and yet so important for people who go for a run more than once a week. I understand you target mass market, but please this is a small effort ;)

Alain

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,166 Superusers
    Hi,
    I love my Tomtom runner 2: good pricing, good UX, very simple to use. I had advised it to at least 3 people in the past. But now that I have made some progress, I really think of changing to competition just because it is not possible to program more complex intervals training (like pyramidal, or just two different type of intervals in one session). The possibility offered is really too simple and doesn't fit with training schedules that one can buy on internet. This evolution is *so* simple and yet so important for people who go for a run more than once a week. I understand you target mass market, but please this is a small effort ;)

Alain

Complex intervals have been requested in the past, but this does not seem to be a direction they are going in, as 4 years and 4 generations of the watch later the interval mode has not trained. As you rightly pointed out, they seem to be targeting a casual athlete for whom the basic training will be fine, assuming they use it at all, so there may not be enough demand to justify the resources. TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • bizzehbizzeh Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    To be honest, what is in the spark right now isnt even basic, its just "on/off". "Basic" training would be the ability to do:

Work: 6:00 (minutes)
    Rest: 2:00
    Work: 8:00
    Rest: 2:30
    Work: 10:00
    Rest: 3:00
    Work: 6:00

Its just a flat list of times and/or distances, not a hard feature to implement with what is already there (i am a software dev myself, so, i know this is an easy thing to implement).

This would make this series of watches far more attractive to club runners.
  • davidgladavidgla Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    bizzeh wrote:
    To be honest, what is in the spark right now isnt even basic, its just "on/off". "Basic" training would be the ability to do:

Work: 6:00 (minutes)
    Rest: 2:00
    Work: 10:00
    Rest: 3:00
    Work: 6:00

Its just a flat list of times and/or distances, not a hard feature to implement with what is already there (i am a software dev myself, so, i know this is an easy thing to implement).

This would make this series of watches far more attractive to club runners.

Estoy totalmente de acuerdo con bizzeh

I totally agree with bizzeh
  • Jarhead_SAJarhead_SA Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Agree, they should allow you to load intervals that you would prefer to train with
  • icemacicemac Posts: 199 [Legendary Explorer]
    hi, I totally agree with bizzeh - it will be good feature.

first time I have used interval training yesterday on my tomtom watch. I used time intervals (3 minutes training/6 minutes rest) and what I need ?

Right now is only ONE beep and You have to start or slow immediately. 5 beeps (5 seconds) for preparation before next part of training will be very appropriate.

P.S.
    these feature have watches from competitive company ;)
  • YorkshireHunterYorkshireHunter Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Agree. The most basic training plans use interval pyramids/ladders. While the UI on the watch is too simple for it to be programmed directly, surely a customised interval option could be set up on the TomTom Sports site and uploaded in the same way as GPX trails?
  • chris-frchris-fr Posts: 41 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Agree.
    As a solution, for the moment, I use the manual Lap function for my more complex interval training. Then you just need to check your watch and use your brain (which, I admit, can be tough at 190 bpm ;))