Golfer stuck on updating golf courses — TomTom Community

Golfer stuck on updating golf courses

LourLour Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Golfer & Golfer 2
Hi, My golfer se wont complete the updating of golf courses. I have tried numerous times and it just get stuck there. It is brand new as I got it as a Christmas gift from my wife. Any ideas as to how I can fix this? Also if I disconnect the watch I cant use it as it asks to be reconnected to the computer(windows).

thanks.

Comments

• lampardlampard Posts: 4,837 Moderator
    Hi Lour,

Welcome to the Community!

I would advise you to make a factory reset on your watch and try again to update the courses. See the public FAQ here to do so: Resetting you watch

If the issue still persists then please contact our customer support with MySports Connect version and Protection software in use in the computer (if any). This will help them to investigate further, you can click on 'Contact us' option at the bottom of this page to Phone/email them.

Cheers,
    lampard
  • ma golferma golfer Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I've had 2 golfer watches and each automatically updates the software without any options when I use sports connect. They both have tried to update golf courses and have taken more than 1 1/2 hours and have only moved half way through. Why does the software update all courses if I never will use foreign courses? It seems the company should be adding options on how much we want to update. If this doesn't go through, I can't use my watch and resetting it will do the same multi hour process. I returned one watch and will do the same if this watch has the same process.
  • JariBJariB Posts: 55 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    As far as I understand normally when you connect the watch to MySport Connect (or mobile app) it should only update the nearest courses and courses you have played recently if you don't request full update with "update maps" button. I might be wrong of course.

Any way my watch takes only less than a minute to do that. Even when manually requested an update it doesn't take more than few minutes to finish. So there has to be something wrong in a watch, application installation, computer or connections to TomTom servers (where ever they are physically located).
  • rjm012rjm012 Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I'm having the same issue as Lour. I just bought the Golfer. First time install and update worked just fine. The next day, I played a round of golf. Then when I came home to connect/sync up to my Macbook, it would take FOREVER to update golf courses. I watched an entire NBA basketball game on TV while waiting for it to update and it was still only about half way through. I've tried resetting the watch (unfortunately I probably lost my pretty good score for that day), re-installing MySportsConnect, and nothing. I've tried this multiple times. I even tried the "hard reset" of holding the down button while syncing. The progress bar for the course update moves so slowly that I doubt it would finish if I left it overnight. Help!
  • JariBJariB Posts: 55 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Just a question for TomTom, is there a difference between Golfer and Golfer2 in this matter, or ere they loading the courses at the same way?
    JariB wrote:
    Just a question for TomTom, is there a difference between Golfer and Golfer2 in this matter, or ere they loading the courses at the same way?

There are three ways the watch updates the course information. What courses are updated depends on how the watch is connected.
    -To update nearby courses: Whilst connected to a compatible smartphone, the watch can update nearby courses over the air. This should not take any longer than 5 minutes.
    -To update courses in the region/country: Whilst connected to MySports, regional updates are downloaded. This should not take any longer than 5 minutes.
    -To update all courses globally: Whilst connected to MySports, the user can choose to manually update all of the courses. This will take approximately one hour100 minutes.

Please note that the antivirus/firewall on the computer can also restrict the update but its always best to double check with the customer support.

Hope it helps!

Cheers,
    lampard
  • lampard wrote:
    -To update all courses globally: Whilst connected to MySports, the user can choose to manually update all of the courses. This will take approximately one hour.
    Hi. Slight correction it will take about 100minutes for a global update. A full update occurs when the user has requested it via the 'Update maps' button on the settings page or they have reset their watch.

Once a global update is needed it must be completed before a local update is done e.g. if you select 'Update Maps', but don't let it complete then every time you connect the watch to the PC a global update will be started.
    Regards,
    Stuart.
  • robonerobone Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Lour wrote:
    Hi, My golfer se wont complete the updating of golf courses. I have tried numerous times and it just get stuck there. It is brand new as I got it as a Christmas gift from my wife. Any ideas as to how I can fix this? Also if I disconnect the watch I cant use it as it asks to be reconnected to the computer(windows).

thanks.
  • robonerobone Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Already sent first watch back to Tom Tom waited two months for it to be returned to me as it could not be repaired and only used the new one once, and same fault as before cannot update golf courses and on the watch just a picture of a computer screen.
    Also says golfer stuck on update.
  • robone wrote:
    Already sent first watch back to Tom Tom waited two months for it to be returned to me as it could not be repaired and only used the new one once, and same fault as before cannot update golf courses and on the watch just a picture of a computer screen.
    Also says golfer stuck on update.
    Hi. Can you reproduce the problem and use the Submit App Data in the Advanced section of the Settings page of MySports Connect to send the log files? If you can't get to the settings page with the watch connected then you can disconnect it and go to the settings page. However I will need the 'XX...' reference id that it displays when you send the logs without a watch connected.

Regards,
    Stuart.
  • Marcos DominguesMarcos Domingues Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I am having the same issue as all the guys here. get's stuck on Updating Golf Courses. Watch was working fine, and I went playing that morning, connect in the afternoon after playing , recording and downloading to the iPhone app and problem happens. Does the sync and all the rest and when going to Update freezes!
    Since then Did all resets possible, read this forum , un-installed the My Sports connect and re-isntalled and still same thing!!!
    Can i send the thing somewhere and get it fixed or should I change supplier?
    Sorry for the bluntness but I passed the last 5 days trying to fix it and so far nothing. Also for you guys one password is not enough?
    I am using A mac Running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.3 which is by the way many months old and worked so far with the watch
    First use 1 July 2015 , last used 19th January 2017..... After connecting at least 3 or 4 times to Mac OS Sierra 10.12.3 browser used is Safari 10.0.3 and now Mysports connect is the latest version as installed it again today.
    In one of the reset tries, on the night from the 26th to the 27 th January, left it connected all night(8 Hoursat least) and no update was completed. Circle on MySports Connect was not even half filled!!!
    Now it has been running for 45 minutes and is still as it was after 5 minutes:?
  • I am having the same issue as all the guys here. get's stuck on Updating Golf Courses. Watch was working fine, and I went playing that morning, connect in the afternoon after playing , recording and downloading to the iPhone app and problem happens. Does the sync and all the rest and when going to Update freezes!
    Since then Did all resets possible, read this forum , un-installed the My Sports connect and re-isntalled and still same thing!!!
    Can i send the thing somewhere and get it fixed or should I change supplier?
    Sorry for the bluntness but I passed the last 5 days trying to fix it and so far nothing. Also for you guys one password is not enough?
    Hi. MySports Connect is the PC application. Are you saying that is freezing on the updating courses screen, or is it the phone app you have having problems with?

If it is MySports Connect then see my post above for sending the logs and I will have a look

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/golfer-golfer-2-393/golfer-stuck-on-updating-golf-courses-1016416/index1.html#

Regards,
    Stuart.
  • Hi. I see you had already uploaded logs. There are 2 attempts to update the maps in it (the logs wrap so there may have been others). The first one the watch was removed whilst it was doing the update. The second (today), an error occurred whilst writing one of the files to the watch so MySports Connect would display an error and say to remove and re-connect the watch.

So it doesn't look like the update is freezing, since the watch has been reset all the courses need updated. This will take about 100minutes. All I can suggest is to try again and if you keep getting an error whilst it is doing the update then contact customer support. I've never heard of MySports Connect freezing during an update, the progress bar moves very slowly since a full update takes 100minutes (all the recent posts I have investigated the watch was removed whilst the update was in progress), but it will either work or display an error.

Regards,
    Stuart.
    I am already at 2.5 hours or 150 minutes and no Update has finished. Considering I do not have a Very High speed connection but an ADSL with 8.5 mbps download speed and 0.85 in upload, I will wait a while longer... But for me it seems that there is definitively a problem .
    Stuart,

Yes I disconnected once. But today i did not, and I did not receive any message anywhere ( watch and Mysports Connect ) of an error.

On the log there is maybe an error, but I do not see it.
    I will send the update logs as soon as i give up this time OK

I even put the screen saver on the PC to never so nothing would interfere with the process

Will try again, but I am getting more and more convinced that is useless
  • HarryeastHarryeast Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Also here the same issue with the Golf watch doing an update. Takes ages to do an update, try to do it now for the 3rd time, but must say I'm afraid the watch became a stone and can be used anymore :@ Really disappointing
  • Stuart,

Yes I disconnected once. But today i did not, and I did not receive any message anywhere ( watch and Mysports Connect ) of an error.

On the log there is maybe an error, but I do not see it.
    I will send the update logs as soon as i give up this time OK

I even put the screen saver on the PC to never so nothing would interfere with the process

Will try again, but I am getting more and more convinced that is useless
    Hi. If it's taking long than about 100minutes then something is wrong. The connection speed will affect the time, but not by a huge amount (the majority of the time is the watch decrypting and writing the map files). Did you send a second set of logs? I don't see any new ones against your account. Note that if you send them without the watch connected then it will display a reference id "XX...." I will need that to find the logs.
    Regards,
    Stuart.
  • Harryeast wrote:
    Also here the same issue with the Golf watch doing an update. Takes ages to do an update, try to do it now for the 3rd time, but must say I'm afraid the watch became a stone and can be used anymore :@ Really disappointing
    Hi. Can you please the the log files. See my post in this thread
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/golfer-golfer-2-393/golfer-stuck-on-updating-golf-courses-1016416?postid=1142526
    Regards,
    Stuart.
  • Andy1248Andy1248 Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Has anyone found a fix for this issue? There are so many users of this watch with the same problem it would indicate that future buyers should keep well away from a Tom Tom Golfer watch. Mine is currently useless with the same problems of the above.
    I seriously need some help with this and not just 'update it again'.
  • bjhigginbjhiggin Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Mine is doing the same thing. Have tried numerous times to update and it gets stuck on updating the courses. Try to fix it and reset to factory settings and still will not get past updating the golf courses. Can I send the logs in to someone???
  • gregorheinrichgregorheinrich Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    same issue. but unfortunately, there is no way to contact customer support. The support page produces an error (regardless of which browser I use), the FAQ's are silent on the problem, and even though, according to earlier posts, a fix was promised sometime in January, there still seems to be no solution to the problem.
    It is easy to say "perform a factory reset", if precisely that reset won't work, as the the "update golf courses" never terminates and you are stuck in a vicious merry.-go-round circle between "fix it" and "reset".
    How many initially happy Golfer 2 users will Tom Tom lose by not being able to offer a solution?

my serial number: HP... Software: 1.2.110; running Sports Connect latest version on an iMac, brokers: Safari and Chrome. Have sent log files several times.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,806
    Superuser
    Customer Services

@bjhiggin

:flag_au: Australia
    1300 135 604
    Monday-Friday:9:00 am to 5:30 pm AEST

@gregorheinrich

:flag_ch: Schweiz (Switzerland)
    08440 000 16
    Mo: 09:00 - 17:30
    Di - Fr: 09:00 - 16:30

:flag_ch: Suisse (Switzerland)
    du lundi au vendredi de 09h00 à 17h30
  • gregorheinrichgregorheinrich Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Niall wrote:
    Customer Services

@bjhiggin

:flag_au: Australia
    1300 135 604
    Monday-Friday:9:00 am to 5:30 pm AEST

@gregorheinrich

:flag_ch: Schweiz (Switzerland)
    08440 000 16
    Mo: 09:00 - 17:30
    Di - Fr: 09:00 - 16:30

:flag_ch: Suisse (Switzerland)
    du lundi au vendredi de 09h00 à 17h30
    thanks; but no one picks up the phone; while the option 1 (navigation systems) triggers an immediate contact with someone from the helpdesk, that is the wrong option and they advised me to use option 2, and that one results in an "endless" waiting loop with music..

PS I tried resetting the Golfer 2 from a different, windows-based, computer: same problem, same error messages, same vicious circle..
  • TonyM_911TonyM_911 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I notice the TomTom moderator has disappeared, he must have got fed up of saying 'I've never heard of this problem before'. My Golfer GPS has just gone the same way as everyone else's on this thread, immediately after a (compulsory) 'update'. I hate this trick that tech companies use to get you to abandon a perfectly useable item. Having no visible postal presence is another classic trick used by disreputable companies. Really, really poor. I'm now having to lay out another £100 to replace something than shouldn't need replacing. Needless to say I will never be buying TomTom again.
    Hi @TonyM_911

Welcome to the Community & Yes, I'm still here:)

I understand that I won't be able to change your mind on this one but as you already know we stepped out of Sports business back in 2017 and now, we stopped selling the watches but the support is available via email. In short, it's in the maintenance mode.

If you're still facing the same issue as described in this thread, I would advise you to make a factory reset and then redownload the maps again by going into Sports Connect (cog icon> top right of Sports Connect on your PC) and there is an update maps button.

Hope this helps!

Regards, lampard