Spark 3 sync with Powerbeats 3 — TomTom Community

Spark 3 sync with Powerbeats 3

Beatlebill77Beatlebill77 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
I was wondering if anyone can help me sync my Powerbeats 3 earphones with the Spark 3? I have the earphones in sync mode, and the watch searches but can't connect.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,166 Superusers
    I was wondering if anyone can help me sync my Powerbeats 3 earphones with the Spark 3? I have the earphones in sync mode, and the watch searches but can't connect.

Make sure the headphones are in pairing mode while on the clock screen and then press up to have the watch search for it (don't go into search mode on the watch first). On most headphones you need to press and hold the power button for an extended period to get into pairing (check the instructions for your headphones). Once they are paired you do not need to pair again, but make sure the headphones are turned on while on the clock screen and then press up to have the watch search for it (don't go into search mode on the watch first). This works for me every time. If I do it the other way and got to search first it often won’t find them. Finally, make sure you are not putting the headphones into pairing each time. On some models if you hold the power button for a second too long it will put it into pairing mode. For pairing purposes, leave the headphones sitting on the watch so they are as close as possible. And again, make sure you are in clock mode before going into pairing mode (just like when you turn them on to listen) and only press up once you have gotten the confirmation from the headphones that they are in pairing mode.

Next thing to try is a factory reset, which generally resolves most issues. To do a factory reset, make sure the Connect software is running and dock the watch to your computer. The Connect window will open; press the gear at the top right and select Factory reset from the next screen. Follow the steps provided, giving the watch the same name and using the same email address. When prompted to register or sign in to MySports, select sign in and use your existing account credentials. It is fairly straightforward and should take less than 5 minutes.

If that does not work they may simply not be compatible. Most BT LE headphones should work, but some work better than others. Price seems to not be a factor as the cheaper ones often seem to work better than the expensive ones. This is due to the fact that cheap models are more likely to use the base BT protocols and not customize them for advanced features or settings like more expensive models do (and there is no way of knowing if a manufacturer has tweaked the protocols to take them out of compliance). This is a case where paying more will not increase the chances of connectivity, it may actually decrease it. There are thousands of models out there so there is no way for TT to test them all and since the manufacturers often tweak the BT settings in the headphones there is no way to know upfront if a pair will work or not.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • aneneanene Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I am having a similar problem. I just purchased PowerBeats3 and it will not pair with the Watch. I purchased the headsets because of the extended battery but it will not connect even after multiple resets.
    Thank you.
  • aneneanene Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I want to add that my PowerBeats2 connects without issues. This is only an issue with PowerBeats3, the newer model that was released around September or October 2016. I have tried a full reset of watch and headsets and I am still not able to pair them.
    Thank you.
  • AnLeAnLe Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I got the same issue! Got a spark cardio + music watch and bought powerbeats 3 to go with it. Are they not compatible?? What a waste of money if they aren't... It's my only pair of wireless headphones, so didn't try any others
  • HammerDieHammerDie Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    The same issue here! I bought a PowerBeats 3 (last firmware version 5.9.8) and my TomTom Runner 3 - Music & Cardio (last firmware version 1.3.254) doesn't recognize the headphones. Is posible to fix the issue by a firmware update or are incompatible devices? I need a quick response to return the headphones o not.
    Thanks.
    I did send tomtom an email a few days ago but haven't heard back. Thinking about returning my headphones too, but don't know if they would even take them back after unboxing
    HammerDie wrote:
    The same issue here! I bought a PowerBeats 3 (last firmware version 5.9.8) and my TomTom Runner 3 - Music & Cardio (last firmware version 1.3.254) doesn't recognize the headphones. Is posible to fix the issue by a firmware update or are incompatible devices? I need a quick response to return the headphones o not.
    Thanks.

It appears they are incompatible. PowerBeats did something to the BT between the 2 & 3 versions that made it incompatible. The BT standard is in such a way a 'standard' that it can be widely interpreted with different settings for buffer sizes, time outs, profiles, protocols, antenna configurations, etc.. TomTom cannot change their code every time a headphone manufacturers messes with the BT coding. Most BT LE headphones should work, but some work better than others. Price seems to not be a factor as the cheaper ones often seem to work better than the expensive ones. This is due to the fact that cheap models are more likely to use the base BT protocols and not customize them for advanced features or settings like more expensive models do (and there is no way of knowing if a manufacturer has tweaked the protocols to take them out of compliance). This is a case where paying more will not increase the chances of connectivity, it may actually decrease it. There are thousands of models out there so there is no way for TT to test them all and since the manufacturers often tweak the BT settings in the headphones there is no way to know upfront if a pair will work or not. At a minimum they need to be BT LE and support A2DP and AVRCP, the two protocols necessary to play music. Your best bet is to buy them from someplace with a good return policy so if they don't work you can return them and try another brand.

In your case, I would not count on it coming, you need to make your decision based on the features that are currently offered, and not what may come in the future. Go into it with the assumption that what is in the box is all there is and it will never be updated, to save setting yourself up with false expectations.
  • ZykloniaZyklonia Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    have the same issue, the powerbeats3 simply pair with everything but the tomtom runner/spark 2. I don't agree on above. Powerbeats is one of the most sold workout headphones and for sure Tomtom could simply get one test and fix it with an update. This can be fixed a 100% if they wanted to keep supporting the best running headphones. Customers should be the priority.
  • HammerDieHammerDie Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    @Anle and @tfarabaugh thanks for your comments. I bought these headphone in Amazon, because for me have the best returns policy. In this case, I only tryed to pairing watch and headphone, I didn't removed the headphones from the packaging.
    I tramit to return the PowerBeats 3 and start to search an other ones. If during the search this issue is fixed and these headphones has the same price than now (169€) I buy it again.
    Well I couldn't return my new headphones since the packaging is opened. I went to a major Australian retailer, they don't even sell any of the recommend headphones for both wrists I asked for and don't sell the matching tomtom ones. Very disappointing that they sell the watches but no compatible headphones to go with.
    Now that I can't get a refund I don't even wanna buy a second pair. Not happy at all... . Is there any chance that they might be compatible one day after updates?
  • ggb2ggb2 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same problem here - I've got a Spark 3 and the Powerbeats 3, they don't sync and the combo seems to be a waste of money. I hope TomTom does come up with an update -- otherwise the watch will go in a drawer and I will stick to both listening to music and tracking my runs on my phone.
  • tt_gttt_gt Posts: 260 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Yes, we can see an issue with interworking with the powerbeats 3. We are investigating, hopefully we can fix it our side.

Powerbeats 2 still work fine, we can see that they made some changes between powerbeats 2 and 3
  • ZykloniaZyklonia Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Many thanks for trying to make it work. It will save many people the money the buy a different watch or go back to the old beats 2.
    We think we have found the issue here, and we plan to deliver a fix in the next watch FW update. Unfortunately, I can't give you a date for that release right now.

I understand that this is a big priority for those of you who are experiencing this problem, and I will try to get more info about a release date.
  • jleirajleira Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    it is really unbelievable that we cannot sync both devices, Tomtom is not working properly...
    We are testing a solution, and hope to deploy it as soon as we can. The testing will take some days though, there are a lot of phones and sensors and headsets that we need to remain compatible with.

You must understand, it's not possible for us to just magically interwork with all the different devices out there, the Bluetooth standards have many different implementations.
    thanks for comment about that...
    hopefully we can get a quick solution.
    right now I have already met 10 people at the same situation close to me with both devices brand new and ready to return the watch in case of...
    thanks again
  • EMR29EMR29 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same problem, Powerbeats3 earbuds will not pair with either the Spark 2 or Spark 3. I have had no problem with the Powerbeats2 and have had to continue to use them. I'm very disappointed as I love the flexibility of downloading to Spark and not having to carry any type of MP3 player on my runs. Was excited to update to the Powerbeats3, but quickly was shot down. Anxiously awaiting an update from TOMTOM to fix this problem.
  • 843runner843runner Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Powerbeats 3 Wireless consumer and unable to connect to my TomTom Spark. This is such a bummer because I was looking forward to using this in my upcoming marathon but am on the verge of taking it back unless a patch is on the way. TomTom you gotta stay current on bluetooth technologies, especially from a huge brand like Beats/Apple.
    Any news about releasing a patch to solve it?
    Someone can provide us roughly an tentative day?
    It's hard for us to provide specific dates, we have to be confident that we won't inadvertently break something.

It probably won't be this week, but hope that it will be very soon.
  • lmjwheelerlmjwheeler Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am also waiting for this update. I brought the two toghether and did not think for a second that it would not work. Hoping the update will be soon so I do not have to return one or other. Thanks!
    Thanks tt_gt,
    However, and luckily the store give us the possibility to get a coupon for the price of the watches even if they do not refund the money if we return them not later than the end of the week...
    It is better to return them since the patch will not be ready at that time...
  • Kurto2021Kurto2021 Posts: 30 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    are you testing any other headphones besides the Beats. I was at Best Buy and it turns out that more than 1 company makes headphones.
    Kurto2021 wrote:
    are you testing any other headphones besides the Beats. I was at Best Buy and it turns out that more than 1 company makes headphones.

They have tested hundreds of headphones, but there are many thousands of models available across the globe and there is no way they can test them all. Since this thread is specifically about Powerbeat 3's that is what they are referring to. Most BT LE headphones should work, but some work better than others. Price seems to not be a factor as the cheaper ones often seem to work better than the expensive ones. This is due to the fact that cheap models are more likely to use the base BT protocols and not customize them for advanced features or settings like more expensive models do (and there is no way of knowing if a manufacturer has tweaked the protocols to take them out of compliance - like Powerbeats has done here). The BT standard is in such a way a 'standard' that it can be widely interpreted with different settings for buffer sizes, timeouts, profiles, protocols, antenna configurations, etc.. TomTom cannot change their code every time a headphone manufacturers messes with the BT coding. This is a case where paying more will not increase the chances of connectivity, it may actually decrease it. There are thousands of models out there so there is no way for TT to test them all and since the manufacturers often tweak the BT settings in the headphones there is no way to know upfront if a pair will work or not. At a minimum they need to be BT LE and support A2DP and AVRCP, the two protocols necessary to play music. Your best bet is to buy them from someplace with a good return policy so if they don't work you can return them and try another brand.