Interval training time/distance difficulty with settings — TomTom Community

Interval training time/distance difficulty with settings

Junaid1234Junaid1234 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
Hi...the interval training mode on my watch is not working properly. When I select the Run option, I then enter Training and go to Intervals. I want to do intervals with no warmup, and for 1. Work, I want to put in 20 seconds only (no distance), and for 2. Rest I want to put in 10 seconds only (no distance), I then put in the number of sets and put in no cooldown.

Now, for 1. Work and 2. Rest, I only want to put seconds in (i.e. time only). But, for these two phases, the watch also has Distance and puts in a minimum distance of 0.1 KM. I don't want any distance in there at all and cannot in 1. Work and 2. Rest reduce distance of 0.1KM to zero at all (the watch just does not allow me to). This is strange as in Warmup and Cooldown I can completely reduce time and distance to zero.

Why can't I reduce the Distance setting in 1. Work and 2. Rest to zero completely and why is it stuck at 0.1KM?? Please note, I have reset the watch to factory settings multiple times to no avail. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,169 Superusers
    Junaid1234 wrote:
    Hi...the interval training mode on my watch is not working properly. When I select the Run option, I then enter Training and go to Intervals. I want to do intervals with no warmup, and for 1. Work, I want to put in 20 seconds only (no distance), and for 2. Rest I want to put in 10 seconds only (no distance), I then put in the number of sets and put in no cooldown.

Now, for 1. Work and 2. Rest, I only want to put seconds in (i.e. time only). But, for these two phases, the watch also has Distance and puts in a minimum distance of 0.1 KM. I don't want any distance in there at all and cannot in 1. Work and 2. Rest reduce distance of 0.1KM to zero at all (the watch just does not allow me to). This is strange as in Warmup and Cooldown I can completely reduce time and distance to zero.

Why can't I reduce the Distance setting in 1. Work and 2. Rest to zero completely and why is it stuck at 0.1KM?? Please note, I have reset the watch to factory settings multiple times to no avail. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Intervals are either time or distance, not both. You can only select one or the other. There is a minimum on distance as you would not have an interval running 0 miles. To do what you want you need to do as follows:

Go to the activity and press down and select Training> Intervals
    Select Warmup> Time, set it for zero and press right
    Select Work> Time, set it for 20 seconds and press right
    Select Rest> Time, set it for 10 seconds and press right
    Select Number of Sets and select the number of sets
    Select Cooldown> Time, set if for zero and press right

Pressing right is what is saving that interval. If you then go into distance you are resetting it, they are either/or. If you are setting a timed interval you just ignore distance, it is not using it. You will also notice as you press right from Warmup it takes you back to the main screen and already has Work selected, saving Work takes you back with Rest already highlighted, so it is walking you through setting it up.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • tt_gttt_gt Posts: 260 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hmmm, I'm slightly confused by this.

The idea behind having time and distance options, is that you can set either a time OR a distance. It will use whatever you set it to use.

As tfarabaugh says it remembers your choice when you exit Right from the menu. If you exit the menu Left it will not save any changes.
  • jakeyjakey Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have used intervals for the first time today. I wanted a 5 min warm up, 6 x 800 m with 2 mins rest in between and a 5 min cool down. What I found is that for the 2 min rest I had to also give it a distance with a minimum of 0.1 km. I just wanted to walk or easy jog in-between. As soon as I jogged the 100 m the time was up and I had to start the next interval which didn't give me enough rest. If I extend the rest distance next time but keep time at 2 mins when will the rest period end? When the 2 mins is up or when I cover the longer distance? This would mean I would end up with a longer rest until I meet the distance set. I did it all but had to pause my watch for the rest periods. Also when the watch is on pause there is no way to gauge how long the rest period is as the screen doesn't show time. This would be a great feature!
  • tt_gttt_gt Posts: 260 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi, I think you've slightly misunderstood the programming of the intervals.

For each segment - be that warmup, work, rest, or cooldown, you can select either a time or a distance, but not both. You can switch between time and distance for different segments (although all work segments and all rest segments will be identical).

Whether that segment is using time or distance is indicated by whether time or distance is highlighted in the menu; it must be either time or distance for each segment.

What it looks like you have done, is actually to use a distance for the rest segment where you intended to use time.
  • jakeyjakey Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for your reply. I think I see what I have done. It seemed as if I had to set something for both time and distance but you are saying only the highlighted one matters. Ok - will try that next time! Time on the pause screen would still be great though!