MyDrive Connect gives me no options to operate — TomTom Community

MyDrive Connect gives me no options to operate

180rick180rick Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
edited January 29 in MyDrive Connect
I bought a 6200 WIFI yesterday. My main problem out of many is that MyDrive Connect Version 4.1.4.3031 doesn't give me any options, which looking at other screen-shots on the web, should be to the right of the TomTom logo.

I don't see anything like point 4 here:
http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13838/related/1

Before installing MyDrive on my laptop (Windows 7 Home laptop.), I did the setup via WIFI. I got an email from TomTom saying "You have successfully associated and activated your Map or Service on your device. You can now start to use these."

I installed MyDrive Connect & ran it.

I key in my username & password with no device connected.

It shows "MY DEVICES" GO 6200 with the serial number.

As soon as I plug in the 6200 using the USB cable supplied, the screen changes to:

"UPDATE YOUR GO 6200 THE EASY WAY
Download the latest updates directly on your device.
Use Wi-Fi to get the latest updates directly on your device. Alternatively, use MyDrive Connect to share your computer's internet connection.
How to get updates on your device"

I cannot see any options (MY DEVICE/MY OPTIONS/MY ACCOUNT or anything like it) & "How up get updates", simply opens up a web page.

If I plug the 6200 into the USB port & then run MyDrive whilst still logged on, it goes straight to the "UPDATE YOUR GO 6200 THE EASY WAY" screen. If I log off & back on again with the 6200 still connected via USB, again it goes straight to the UPDATE YOUR GO 6200 screen"

I un-installed 4.1.4.3031 & removed the HOME3 folder. I installed 4.0.7, same problem. I then upgraded back to 4.1.4.3031 & still no luck.

I then tried the same on a Windows 10 Pro PC which is wired & get exactly the same thing.

I still have HOME 2 (for my GO 720) installed on both machines

The 6200 app version is 16.402.0083.411 (0) (27/10/2016).

What am I doing wrong (other than buying an expensive device for reasons unknown when my ageing 720 still gets me from A to B & back) ?

Thanks.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,195 Superusers
    Here's a link to the reference guide for that model:

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/gox20x/refman/TomTom-GO-EU-RG-en-gb.pdf

If you don't get your questions answered by Monday, call support to help:

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • Jarek TrojnarJarek Trojnar Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I have this same problem :(((
  • Jarek TrojnarJarek Trojnar Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I had call to polish support.
    There is no options for update 6200.
    U can update it only via wi-fi.
    I don't think you got correct information, Jarek.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

For updating your GO Wi-Fi® devices, please see

Updating your device using Wi-Fi®

You can use MyDrive Connect to share your computer's internet access but the updates are still managed from the device.

Cheers, Mikko
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,006 Superusers
    As far as I know, the MyDrive Connect software can't be used on the Wi-Fi devices for updating. Either via Wi-Fi or the app would route Internet traffic to the device, but still should do it via the device.

Edit: Mikko was faster :)
  • 180rick180rick Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I thought I had solved my TomTom GO 720 problems with map updates by purchasing a state of the art 6200 model many years later. Wrong!

I connected the 6200 via USB to my wired PC & attempted to download the UK map (800+ MB)

There is no indication of anything on the TT screen apart from % it has downloaded. I never saw it get past 91% before starting at 1% again. There is no indication of how far the download has progressed (like there would have been had I been able to download the map from my computer).

Any idea how much it has downloaded after one cycle of 1% to 91%?

I had to leave to downloading overnight. At some stage it failed with a message on the TT screen saying:

“oops! no internet connection downloading interrupted. once your device is connected to the internet, download will resume.”

The internet was still on & there was no indication from my router log files that it had dropped connection.

I unplugged the USB connector from the PC & plugged it in again. It started at 1% again. An hour later, it failed again with the same message. Unplugging the USB cable had no effect, so I killed MCD, restarted & then it resumed. At some stage later, it failed with the same message. Unplugging the USB cable worked & the download resumed at 1%. Finally after about 10 times of unplugging the USB cable or killing off MCD, the map download completed. 9 interrupted hours to download a 800MB map. Although I don't have a Microsoft Surface PC, I have changed the reg & power setting as per this post:

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/go-500-random-disconnections-on-surface-3-pro-968783/index1.html

& rebooted to see if this resolves the "oops!" problem.

If I don't use the USB cable (that came with the 6200) & place it right next to the modem router, it rarely connects, giving me a Wi-Fi connection failure when the signal is at full strength as displayed on the 6200.

Basically if MDC allowed me to download the maps to the PC & then at a later stage transfer them to the 6200 then I wouldn't have this problem. As for downloading the 6GB European map update. You can forget that. I don't have a month to spare of unplugging the USB cable/kiling off MCD every hour or so.

Saying that the 6200 seems to have deleted my European map after I interrupted (there was no way out of the screen apart from STOP) a download I didn't start. FFS. So I now have no choice but to download the European map & leave my PC on continously for a week whilst the 6GB downloads to my memory card (that would have been nice if TomTom included with the expensive 6200, but no. No case, no memory card, no small CD with the manual on, no cheap screen protector), as the UK map I downloaded the other day has no speed camera alerts for reasons unknown. It's ridiculous.
    The user manuals are available via their support site. The device has 16GB of internal memory, why would you need a memory card? Also it doesn't require a PC for the updates. Just connect any micro USB charger and should work via Wi-Fi. If not, try to press and hold the ON button until you hear the drum roll and try to connect again. If still no luck, maybe some setting in the router is blocking it to access.
    No. The reg & power updates have no effect. I am still getting "Oops! No internet connection", when there clearly is. Any idea how to solve this problem? I can't believe I spent almost £300 on this rubbish.
    Call support then...........
    Thanks for your reply.

"The user manuals are available via their support site."

It should be included with the package for such an expensive product, in my view.

"maybe some setting in the router is blocking it to access "

Is this is giving me the "Oops! No internet connection" problem?

If it were a router problem I would not be able to download anything. I download the UK map after several attempts, so it can't be a router problem.

"why would you need a memory card?"

I was under the silly assumption that I could download all the maps to it.

"Also it doesn't require a PC for the updates. Just connect any micro USB charger and should work via Wi-Fi."

Yes I know that now, but it would be quicker to download to a wired PC, plus I would have a working satnav whilst it was transferring to the PC, but now all I have is an expensive door stop waiting for the next "Oops" error message.
    Nowadays companies barely include a small leaflet, let alone a CD or DVD. It is more ecological to provide it online. Something is clearly conflicting with the device, otherwise it would connect nice and easy and would download the maps and so just fine. I have a GO 520 which works the very same way and never an issue with Wi-Fi download. Also don't put all the maps on the device, makes no sense to have them all at the same time, unless you are really travelling worldwide in a short time.
    Thanks for the assistance. I will call Support later.
    I have sorted the problem without resorting to phoning Support.

I put the 6200 right next to the modem router, plugged it into the mains & left a webcam on it so I could monitor progress. It took almost 3 hours (I only have a 5MB connection), but the European map update worked in one go. No getting to 91% & starting at 1% again. I am now all up to date.

On another unrelated note, but in reply to Zsolt, I did buy a £10 802.11ac WiFi dongle last week from Amazon (unrelated to the 6200 issues) & that did come with a small CD. So not all manufacturers have phased out useful info on CD. Maybe just the ones that over price their items?
    I am also travelling the world, so need a lot of maps.
    That would be something to buy a Wi-Fi dongle and then trying to download its driver... Move on with the technology and don't waste important resources, just to create more landfill...
    The Wi-Fi dongle worked right away in Windows 10 without the need for the drivers on the CD, so not a problem. I'll wait for the next version of the TomTom that doesn't come in a box or a "user guide" (saves trees) & you have to buy your own over-priced TT USB cable, connector & mount & the version after that where you have to build it yourself like you did with the Sinclair ZX-80. That would save manufacturing costs!
    Not everyone has a W10 PC, who buys a Wi-Fi dongle. Maybe W7 or XP wouldn't have the driver. This a wireless TT device, which doesn't even need a PC, so why should be there a driver? Also the menu is so "dumbed down" and fool proof that one doesn't even need a user manual. Everything is written in plain English.
    I didn't say there should be a driver for the 6200 - just the manual on a small CD, failing that, on the TT (since not everyone has a CD-ROM drive) itself, but never mind.
    I personally don't mind that they don't include one. But we are different. We can agree in disagreeing :)
    Agreed :) Happy Xmas.
  • DavidwocDavidwoc Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I have the same problem. This will only update through wifi and will not work with MyDrive Connect. I just get the update your go 6200 the easy way message. I tried disconnecting the wifi off on the sat nav but just got the same message.
    As a sat nav its a good device but TomTom should let people know it cant be used with MyDrive connect.
    Call support to assist..........
    I have sent them an email as I cant find a solution anywhere else. The tomtom is not listed in device manager but does show up as a unidentified network when I attatch it to the pc. Its as if there were windows drivers missin. I also tried it on a mac and it doesnt show up there either
    It supposed to show as a network adapter.
    Well at least that bit is ok thanks