Update for surfing? — TomTom Community

Update for surfing?

HankyHanky Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Adventurer
Hi there,

i really like the idea of the adventurer, as I am not a big runner fan but do pretty much everything else. The other sport watches seem to focus more than 60% on running. But the adventurer with its skiing tracking and lift recognition, in cooperation with gyroscope and altimeter, seem to rock.

Now my question: Since you have built in gyroscopes and altimeter, is it not possible to easily track the height of jumping at kitesurfing or windsurfing? So basically a feature like the Woo Sports tracker? It should be quite simple (with the correct algorithms). If you need help, hire me :)
Can we expect this? Or do we have to wait for another watch release in 2019?

Something for winter and summer !

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,334
    Superusers
    Hanky wrote:
    Hi there,

i really like the idea of the adventurer, as I am not a big runner fan but do pretty much everything else. The other sport watches seem to focus more than 60% on running. But the adventurer with its skiing tracking and lift recognition, in cooperation with gyroscope and altimeter, seem to rock.

Now my question: Since you have built in gyroscopes and altimeter, is it not possible to easily track the height of jumping at kitesurfing or windsurfing? So basically a feature like the Woo Sports tracker? It should be quite simple (with the correct algorithms). If you need help, hire me :)
    Can we expect this? Or do we have to wait for another watch release in 2019?

Something for winter and summer !

I don't think you will see this in any TomTom watch, released in 2019 or any other time. Surfing is a niche market and likely does not have the market saturation needed to make it worth the development cost. You would need to have enough people buying the watch for that specific purpose to justify the expense of development, testing and production and I doubt it is there. And if my experience on the forums for the past few years is any indication, no changes are quite as simple as users think (just look at how they have struggled with pace and phone notifications). As you rightly pointed out, this is primarily a running watch with a few extra sports added on and that is the market they are targeting.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • HankyHanky Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    It is probably the solution, but not the solution i was hoping for. But thanks a lot for the background information.
    Superusers
    Hanky wrote:
    It is probably the solution, but not the solution i was hoping for. But thanks a lot for the background information.

More of an answer than a solution, unfortunately, but it is what it is.
  • gl00gl00 Posts: 965 [Revered Pioneer]
    hey Hanky,

noticed one of your posts in the Bandit section: this camera has basically the same sensors as the Adventurer already integrated...
    did you take a look at the metrics in Bandit studio (phone or PC app) ? you can have altitude, speed, G force etc. overlaps on your videos from there.

if these make any sense to you, you'd get basically the same stuff from the watch, but as graphs.

also did you notice that you can extract GPX files from you video files (in bandit studio for your PC)?
    if you import these files in strava for example you might get an idea of what sort of graphs the watch will give you and wether that would be interesting for you...
  • HankyHanky Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    thanks. i will try it. funny, that it is not described officially somewhere. I could only find the information, that these infos are used for the highlights. But not that i could overlap it. nice
  • mccormickentmccormickent Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I wish the would make a surf mode or windsurf/kite mode.
    I believe it would just require an algorithm for that activity. I use a Spark in freestyle mode when I surf. Here is a recent session.

https://mysports.tomtom.com/service/webapi/v2/activity/perm_y9oOh3AqYpyU7Of8cApPW7z-XbSQCFjUMbxvOHb97ev4EqAPCxI7scERVlHzTkW2N2fPzUot8c0cwPQXHMChSQ?format=html

It would be great if it could give better details......
  • greenapplegreenapple Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have been using a Spark 3 in multi-sport mode for surfing.

After my surf session I upload my export (gpx/tcx) file into WavesTracker.com
    It gives a better (tailored) details in regards the surf that @mccormickent is talking about
  • cskollevoldcskollevold Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Wow, this would be pretty cool! And yeah, I would also think that this could be solved by algorithms (after all, something similar already exist embedded in ski googles).

And sure surfing is a niche market, but so is the market for people who wants maps on their watches. And in the "maps on watches"-market there is already competition while algortihms to track jump time in kitesurf/skiing and ride time in surfing there is not, i.e. this might actually be a smart way to spend development money! :-)
  • YokoyoYokoyo Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I’d real y love it too.
    im using tradventurer, and didnt know how could i use it Wenceslao surfing.
    when i surf the watch think mi walking and count steps.
    Next time ill try what you are saying here. Thanks
  • MacapakaMacapaka Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This is crazy logic, I just bought a Spark for Kitesurfing as its a waterproof GPS.

Kitesurfing, Surfing and wakeboarding maybe smaller market than running but we spend all our cash on a pole with 25m strings and tent material stitched around an inflatable bag. Surfers spend all their cash on foam wrapped in resin and wakeboards nag their mum. Also runners do other sports too as running is so boring;).

I just bought a spark as after three and a half years the seals leaked on my Ultrasport GPS watch and now it's goosed. For 3 years I've been exporting my Kiting sessions to Google Earth and it's great to see my track on Google Earth. I Kitefoil and seeing my angles against the wind direction is great for learning and motivation.

I made these with Google Earth after a most excellent foil session in Dakhla, Morocco.0e659bf7-d713-48c5-b2cd-d4dc78e1f104.jpg55f36b0b-3627-4ddd-a685-25a232bdefeb.jpg
    Given the size of the Sailing Watch market I think its a bit odd the company is not looking at watersports.
    Superusers
    Macapaka wrote:
    This is crazy logic, I just bought a Spark for Kitesurfing as its a waterproof GPS.

Kitesurfing, Surfing and wakeboarding maybe smaller market than running but we spend all our cash on a pole with 25m strings and tent material stitched around an inflatable bag. Surfers spend all their cash on foam wrapped in resin and wakeboards nag their mum. Also runners do other sports too as running is so boring;).

I just bought a spark as after three and a half years the seals leaked on my Ultrasport GPS watch and now it's goosed. For 3 years I've been exporting my Kiting sessions to Google Earth and it's great to see my track on Google Earth. I Kitefoil and seeing my angles against the wind direction is great for learning and motivation.

I made these with Google Earth after a most excellent foil session in Dakhla, Morocco.Given the size of the Sailing Watch market I think its a bit odd the company is not looking at watersports.
    Considering that TomTom has left the wearables market and is not producing any new devices at all, the market size is irrelevant, they are not looking at any sports.