TomTom RIDER 410- Stop recalculation of route

zedtourszedtours Posts: 15 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited November 2018 in RIDER
How do I stop 410 recalculating route

Comments

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,969 TomTom Moderator
    Hi zedtours

Welcome to the community:)

This depends on the route planning setting on your RIDER 410 device.

Please check the user manual here

If you select the option 'Don't ask me' under what to do 'When a faster route is available' the device will not recalculate the route.

Hope this will help..

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • zedtourszedtours Posts: 15 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This answer does not apply to routes that I have calculated!
    In my routes the Sat nav will continue to take me to start unless I stop and reconfigure the route which is a right royal pain. Why not just ask me as per a Garmin?
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,969 TomTom Moderator
    zedtours wrote:
    This answer does not apply to routes that I have calculated!
    In my routes, the Sat nav will continue to take me to start unless I stop and reconfigure the route which is a right royal pain. Why not just ask me as per a Garmin?

Is your question about recalculation for the saved routes on your RIDER?

Some more information about what exactly is happening will help me to understand the issue better:)

Thank you
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
    Sunday.....I planned a route using "tyre" which unfortunately included a private road I could not use so I cut around it and rejoined the route further on, but TT unit kept trying to take me back to the WP I had missed. Fed up with this I stopped route then put it in again from saved routes, now it wants to take me back to start even though I am now halfway to my destination. This is bollox! A Garmin will just carry on from your position or will ask if you want to go to start, it would also ask if you want off route recalculate sensible then. TT no question asked it just bloody does it! Bollox
  • 954dk954dk Posts: 292 [Master Traveler]
    Hi,
    No matter what, TomTom will always try to catch up missed waypoints, unless you interact

Good practice would be selecting the next waypoints and then select "Start Route From Here".
    Then you should be good to go again :)

Take a look here:
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/rider_400_40/html/en-gb/index.htm#Navigatingtoastoponasavedroute.htm

Cheers!
    Will try that but opening out route is not easy either!
  • 312hooligan312hooligan Posts: 83 [Master Explorer]
    @zedtours: I totally understand your pain. When I went to Europe with the Rider 40, I had a route loaded to my Rider. And there were problems after problems. My starting location was the end of the loaded route, so none of the audio turn-by-turn navigation worked. It kept on asking me to perform u-turns so that I can go to the end of the route (which was my starting point), and the guidance on the screen (blue line) is always on the wrong side of the street. Worst of all, I was having your problem too.

Until one of the days where my lodging for the night included reliable high speed WiFi. I quickly updated my Rider to 16.200. And my biggest problems got solved: 1) it doesn't care about the direction you travel along the route; it will guide you appropriately based on your direction along the route; and 2) it allows you to rejoin the route and continue on.

My recommendation is to see about updating your firmware first. And I find it most useful to use the Drive to Route option instead of what was suggested by the manual as referenced by 954dk. I was on a 7 day trip, so whenever I get to each destination (or short of it), I simply put the device on Sleep, so I didn't have to reload the route the next day. Then I simply chose Ride to Route, because there were times I take too much time taking pictures and not making my actual planned destinations.

But you are right, Garmin is so much better at handling routes (the old systems based on Windows CE, not the newer Zumos with the new platform, which early releases also had the same problems. Come to think of it, even the older TomToms based on the previous platform before Android did this capably as well.) Hope this helps.
    Okay, let's say you have to go around e.g. the Großglockner high alp road and thereby miss a waypoint on the top of the mountain.
    If you then chose to drive to the route, you'll get in trouble and that "damned" RIDER will try to take you back on top of the mountain from the other side...
    See the point? :)

I do agree, that TomTom has got a long way to go, before the RIDER is even acceptable.
    Therefore I still use my Urban Rider...
  • 312hooligan312hooligan Posts: 83 [Master Explorer]
    Yes, I had that problem. I actually had to miss one of my destinations on my 7 day trip because on day 5 there was a little mishap. Using Drive to Route does not force me to go to the missed city waypoint. This was after my update of the Rider 40, which occurred on the end of day 3 of my trip, in July of 2016 (not sure if it was 16.200 or 16.201).

Prior to day 3, I would sometimes not make my waypoint destination because I stopped too many times to take pictures, so I had to get an AirBnB in the alpine village a few hours away from my waypoint.

I wonder if this is still a problem for you with version 16.201. Unfortunately I cannot test this now, because it is winter for me. No riding. My multiple day trip through the Alps in July was the last time I had a long route with multiple waypoints.
    I normally plan my long trips as "one day routes" with gas stations/shops/view points as intermediate stops and further points as waypoints.

But... That's not possible on the RIDER 4xx - unfortunately...
    But you can save each day as a route surely?
  • BoarderBoarder Posts: 107 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    You can save a route per day. That's what I do. You can't do intermediate destinations though. If you keep getting directed back to a waypoint it thinks you have missed, select the next waypoint on the sidebar and delete it.

Steve