Poor Customer Support — TomTom Community

Poor Customer Support

John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 695 [Revered Pioneer]
edited January 2019 in Travel lounge
I'm typing this here because I'm not certain which Forum to place this into!! Although it relates to my GO5100, it is a Customer Support Issue, rather than a Model-Specific Issue!

Early this week my GO5100 died - absolutely nothing, NO Display, NO Sounds!

Obviously I carried out numerous checks to ensure that it was NOT caused by failure of any of the associated components (Cable, Adapter, Holder, etc).

Since it was ONLY 6 months old, I contacted Customer Service & made it VERY Clear that I was making a Warranty Claim!!

I provided:-
Date of Purchase (which confirms it is covered by Warranty)
Date of Registration (which confirms it is covered by Warranty)
Copy of Retailer's Purchase Order. (which confirms it is covered by Warranty)
Copy of TomTom's Registration Confirmation (which confirms it is covered by Warranty)
Detail of Faults (plus full description of various checks carried out)
Serial Number of Device
Model Of Device

As far as I was concerned, I had FULLY provided everything that TomTom could reasonably expect &, hence, I was anticipating them just to supply a "Returns-Number" & Shipping details!

Unfortunately, all I got was a request asking for:-
Serial Number,
Copy Of Purchase Order
Details of Fault,
etc, etc.

Plus a "threat" that I was likely to be charged 105Euros for the privilege (& suggesting that the Fault was NOT covered by Warranty)!!

I really am NOT happy with TomTom's Customer Support!!

John-Jay

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,326
    Superusers
    I'll report this to a contact I have, John-Jay.
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 695 [Revered Pioneer]
    Many thanks!!

Have sent you a message with more details!

Regards,
    John-Jay
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,906 Moderator
    Hi John-Jay

I am really sorry about hear about the bad experience you have had with the customer service. I reviewed the incident and indeed the customer should not have asked for the same information again.

I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused. I see you have sorted this issue after contacting the retailer but I have also asked the customer service to follow up.

Regards
    Vikram
    Hi, Vikram,

Thanks for the follow-through!

As you mention, after getting nowhere with TomTom, I contacted my Retailer (Amazon) & they immediately sent out a replacement!!

Hence, since I've sorted out the Device, I'm simply trying to highlight the less than helpful Customer Service!!

Regards,
    John-Jay
    On Friday (9th Dec 2016) I received a Phone Call from Customer Services.

Unfortunately I was driving at the time! Although I was using "Hands-Free", it was not practical/safe to continue with the Call.

Accordingly it was mutually agreed that TomTom Customer Services would further call me on Monday morning (12th Dec 2016) & I would ensure that I'm free to take the call!

Surprise, surprise, NO call was received!

Regards,
    John-Jay
  • Standa KStanda K Posts: 18 [Legendary Explorer]
    Hi John, same experience with retailer-distributor. The device 5100 under warranty and simply died. Distributour...said sorry its not under warranty, you need to contact TomTom. And TomTom did not provide RMA yet. its not the cheep SatNav so you would expect a good response. Seems that's not the case.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,906 Moderator
    Hi Standa

I have sent a heads up to the customer service about this, the delay could be because of the weekend. I assure you that your case will be picked up on a priority.

Regards
    Vikram