MyDrive Android app permissions — TomTom Community

MyDrive Android app permissions

DaveC79DaveC79 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
I currently have version 1.6.1 of the app on my phone. It's been prompting me to update for about 6 weeks now but so far I've refused. Why? It's asking for new permissions.
Is there any documentation to say why the new version of the app requires access to SMS (charges may apply!) and the camera? I haven't seen any reasons given for why the app needs access to these and what it may do with them.

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Dave,

Welcome to the Community!

The MyDrive app since v1.7.0 supports the phone message feature the new GO Wi-Fi® devices and new permissions are required for that. The latest version of the app is v1.8.0.

Please, post back here if you have any further questions :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • BillS123BillS123 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Poster's question was not answered - I and I want the same answer, please!

"Is there any documentation to say why the new version of the app requires access to SMS (charges may apply!) and the camera?"

Also, why does the app demand access to my files and contacts?
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,312
    Superusers
    Seek support assistance

United States
    877-757-7137
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST
    Saturday: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m EST
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Bill,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for your feedback!

We don't currently have much documentation about the MyDrive app(s) specifically. You can find some information at tomtom.com/mydriveapp and in the device manual. I've also gathered more information about MyDrive and the apps into this FAQ. I'll take this up with the documentation team.

All the required permissions pertain to specific features of the app. Access to your contacts is required so that you can find routes to them in the app. The file access permission is currently not used and you can disable it if you wish. In case the POI/GPX file syncing feature of MyDrive is implemented to the app as well this permission will be required.

Please note, that on Android you can change the permissions from the Application Manager.

In case you're concerned about privacy matters, please see tomtom.com/yourdata for more information about how we handled the information our customers provide us.

Please, post back here if you have any further questions :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • BillS123BillS123 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you, Mikko!

So will the app object if I turn off access to my phone's contacts?

One more time, please, is there a mydrive app function that requires use of my phone's camera?

Thank you,
    Bill
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,157 [Revered Voyager]
    As a test I just turned off every requested permission: Camera; Contacts; Location; SMS and Storage. The app loads and runs and still works perfectly for the one function I use which is to synchronise and backup the MyPlaces in the TomTom Android navigation app GO Mobile.